Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-19-2013, 03:41 PM

Default Chinook in Northern BC

I just got back a few weeks ago from my first trip to the Terrace area on the Skeena river and tributaries with my jetboat, a 16ft Outlaw Lynx. It was a blast, lost some paint on Gitnadoix river but caught a pile of pink and coho on the spey rod. It will be turning into a yearly trip so I am planning for next year and looking for some advice. I was hoping to head up mid July or 1st week in August to try for Chinook, I really like the look of the Smithers area, Bulkley river, Morice, Upper Skeena so was thinking of trying it next year. Has anybody fished it at that time of year or am I better off just heading back to Terrace? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:42 PM

We used to fish the Bulkley the last week of September, 6 years in a row never had a bad trip. Usually stayed at the RV park on the east side of the bridge and launched the jet just downstream of that same bridge! We have had days where we caught 20 steelhead and times when we landed 20 for the week you just never know, amazing river!!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:54 PM

I was in terrace area this year from July 27 til aug 12.

There were chinooks, I managed one. But mostly they were caught by the roe checkers.

We managed a ton of pinks, and a couple coho. But neither runs of coho or steelhead were ideal.

I loved the trip but if I coud do it again we would fish it later in August and into September when the runs are better.

We stopped at fly shop in Smithers. There are fish caught in July and August but the big runs dont start until Sept-Oct the guy told us. We were going to fisj anyways but he strongly recommended we go to terrace.

We fished mainly below the exchamsiks launch.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:13 PM

From what I've been told, Chinook fishing is tough high up as they don't hit flies very well. Also, they run earlier in the season, so water conditions can be tougher. That being said, if you're okay with low numbers fishing, there is a chance at hooking into some massive fish! I'd focus on the Skeena and Kitimat. I haven't targeted them before but it's on my to do list.