Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 06:51 PM

Default Snooker Table

I know this is a long shot but does anyone know of someone that has a 6x 12 snooker table in Central AB that they would like to part with for a reasonable price .Kijji is driving me nuts just got back from looking at a 1940's brunswick in great shape.Dad decided that the 2 1/2 inch almost brand new Italian slate would make great wall art but I can have the rest of the table for free
Old 11-20-2018, 11:26 PM

Are you on BookFace?

There's a page there called Facebook Marketplace. Essentially a Kijji, but linked to your personal profile. I've had excellent luck with it.

A quick search found one in Innisfail. $1500 I believe.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:29 AM

cool thanks will check it out
Old 11-21-2018, 08:39 AM

Another in Cochran $1000

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...05121623321551
Old 11-21-2018, 09:20 AM

What ever you do try and keep the slate from being outside in the cold to long ,once you bring in from the extreme cold I have had two split on me,you can phone snooker Canada and they may know where there's a slate of the same thickness,the pins my not line up ,but it can still be adjust to fit.

I am working with some guys in Canadain snooker to try and get the game going again,plus the UK championships are on in 6 more days,ROS I hope wins it.

Or buy your dad a slate,there around just phone some snooker places in alberta,legions etc.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:33 AM

Must have a rather robust wall.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
What ever you do try and keep the slate from being outside in the cold to long ,once you bring in from the extreme cold I have had two split on me,you can phone snooker Canada and they may know where there's a slate of the same thickness,the pins my not line up ,but it can still be adjust to fit.

I am working with some guys in Canadain snooker to try and get the game going again,plus the UK championships are on in 6 more days,ROS I hope wins it.

Or buy your dad a slate,there around just phone some snooker places in alberta,legions etc.
Not my Dad the kid that is selling the table wants the slate never thought about phoning snooker Canada ,I did happen to find a slate in Ont off an anniversary table .With that might be stretching the budjet a bit but can maybe make it work.Hate to say it kinda fell in love with the table and the rails still gleam on it.Keep me posted on how it goes with trying to get the game going again.I have fell out of it for a good while but finally want to get back into it .Also anyone looking to buy a Canadian Billiards 4x 8 snooker table .Also any where to stream the UK championships.I am not sure quite what to make of O'sullivan,he is one of the greats but he just kinda rubs me the wrong way,maybe to much drama lol
Old 11-21-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
Not my Dad the kid that is selling the table wants the slate never thought about phoning snooker Canada ,I did happen to find a slate in Ont off an anniversary table .With that might be stretching the budjet a bit but can maybe make it work.Hate to say it kinda fell in love with the table and the rails still gleam on it.Keep me posted on how it goes with trying to get the game going again.I have fell out of it for a good while but finally want to get back into it .Also anyone looking to buy a Canadian Billiards 4x 8 snooker table .Also any where to stream the UK championships.I am not sure quite what to make of O'sullivan,he is one of the greats but he just kinda rubs me the wrong way,maybe to much drama lol
I stream off DAZN 20 bucks a month OR cricfree,ROS is the best of the best,he's getting older,but like him or not when he is gone I doubt there will be no one as natural as him.He sometimes just doesn't care,but when he is in the mood he is the Mozart of the sport.
I seen him twice in England and he is at 975 century breaks right now ,so 1000 is coming up which no one has ever done.If you can put a 6 x12 is the way to go for snooker.Even Henry says ROS is the best natural player ever.I have century breaks made in the Snooker Canada archives,highest 139 during mid Canada championships in 1976.Lotsa guys don't even have runs this high in the top 128 in world snooker.Then I got a real job and that was it for that deal,wish I would have stayed playing,but at 15 years of age I never really knew what the world had to offer,had a 6x12 for 20 years in my house ,but was never home to play during those years.

I am hoping to go this spring if I can get tickets to the right venues and I hope Ros can get one more title,he was up and down a few years back,but very settled in since his dad was released.AT 16 years old his dad got 20 years in the penn and for a kid to stay with his career and not stop is something I admire about him,plus he won the Uk that year which shows his true self talent.

I will make a few calls next week and see what I can find ,has to be something around in alberta.Hope you find what your after.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I stream off DAZN 20 bucks a month OR cricfree,ROS is the best of the best,he's getting older,but like him or not when he is gone I doubt there will be no one as natural as him.He sometimes just doesn't care,but when he is in the mood he is the Mozart of the sport.
I seen him twice in England and he is at 975 century breaks right now ,so 1000 is coming up which no one has ever done.If you can put a 6 x12 is the way to go for snooker.Even Henry says ROS is the best natural player ever.I have century breaks made in the Snooker Canada archives,highest 139 during mid Canada championships in 1976.Lotsa guys don't even have runs this high in the top 128 in world snooker.Then I got a real job and that was it for that deal,wish I would have stayed playing,but at 15 years of age I never really knew what the world had to offer,had a 6x12 for 20 years in my house ,but was never home to play during those years.

I am hoping to go this spring if I can get tickets to the right venues and I hope Ros can get one more title,he was up and down a few years back,but very settled in since his dad was released.AT 16 years old his dad got 20 years in the penn and for a kid to stay with his career and not stop is something I admire about him,plus he won the Uk that year which shows his true self talent.

I will make a few calls next week and see what I can find ,has to be something around in alberta.Hope you find what your after.
Well that might be worth the 20 bucks for the month .May have found something not my dream table but.....A Duffrien Challenger 2000 bucks set up with new hainsworth cloth and new cushions installed.Yes no ? and you played at a much higher level than me lol .Mine was because I loved to play and was broke so get good enough not to have to pay for games or not play lol.Think my best was about 70.Been watching alot of Barry Stark on youtube the last few weeks and went back to basics with it and my game has improved hugely ,but I just can't get real comfortable on a 4x8
Old 11-21-2018, 07:41 PM

Grab it ,each rail is about 250 a piece to get done and the cloth is lets say a grand for good cloth so two grand is a good price for a 6x12.I don't know your floor plan ,but I put my table on 1 inch blocks or pads.

Barry is Kryren Wilsons coach and one of the best around,one day I think Kyren will be a world champ,he is a very focused guy and dead serious on his game,which 99 percent don't have.

I just paid dazn for the irish masters and they showed it,now no UK showing up,but when it starts I know 4 ways to get it so one should work ,pm me and will tell you.
Higgins Vs ROS in final,Higgins will probably win .Snooker is a game of strength with your mind,if you can just do it without over thinking it than you can win ,so who ever can keep there nerve under heavy pressure can pull it off and
Higgins is rock solid with years of experience along with Ronnie.

Snooker is very big in china and many others are learning it fast,the Uk will have over 400 million viewers world wide.ROS has only played 4 venues this year winning 2 and 2 runnerups so he will hit hard if his mind is on track.
He wants that 1000 century,so he will be hitting hi runs,he made 10 last week and many players in the world tour don't make that many in a year,plus he is 42 and think he turns 43 during the UK or very close to it.

Get a good cover for your table ,nothing that holds moisture in and sometimes put a bit of heat under it if any moisture is in the house,nothing crazy, like70 degrees and order your self a set off crystal lite snooker balls,you will pay 300 plus or fine a set for 200,but I would buy new not to get ripped off.Get your self a long narrow necked bottle and practice your stroke in and out of the bottle till your tip hits the back of it without touching the sides of the hole ,then do it with your eyes closed at the same pace of stroke,if you hit the sides then you keep that up till you have it down pat,then do it 20 minutes ever chance you get.Then try it on shots on your table ,line yourself up and close your eyes and you will see what I am talking about,Mark Williams is very good at this.It will let you know if things are all inline.

Once you go to strike the ball your arm and hand and eye are all inline,i started doing this at 12 years of age and by 14 my cue action was spot on with plenty of cue power for any shot.With proper snooker balls and your new cloth you will see how your shots are improving the movement of the cue ball,better the movement the easier the position that helps make large breaks.
A miss spent youth,but one I will never forget how much I loved those times.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 11-21-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:59 PM

JD sent a PM
Old 11-21-2018, 11:50 PM

This has turned into a surprisingly awesome thread. Thanks JD!

I grew up in small town Nova Scotia. As teenagers, my buddies and I spent countless hours at the local bowling alley/pool hall. It was usually a busy place, but no one wanted to play the 6x12, so the place would give us the table at half price. We thus taught ourselves to play snooker.

Helluva learning process!

Stephen Hendry was the man in those days. Getting to watch him play was a rare but cherished occurrence. We learned alot though, and eventually got fairly good. My two best games were a 113 and a 106 iirc.

It was a great escape from university studies. After graduation, the crew scattered across the country seeking our fortune. I miss those days.

Recently though, I purchased a cheap Brunswick 4x8 that included a set of snooker balls. My kids are now 17 and 13 and we have had some fantastic family evenings playing billiard's most beautiful game.

Tree
Old 11-22-2018, 10:10 AM

In china snooker is in many schools and instead of sitting around in the lunch room getting fat like our kids they play snooker,you stretch your body in many ways using a large group of muscles and it helps build up focus and concentration. Hendry is over there steady giving lessons to many students and serious players and is well paid for this.The kids in school get I hour per day for the sport in china.

England has ruled the planet for snooker,but in the near future china will be the next big place to run the world snooker events and I may be wrong,but ROS is like a god in china and he will start this new process.He just won over there and gave away his trophy and highest run check to 2 children in the crowd,those 2 kids will never forget that moment.So he is well liked by all the big sponsors of the game.

When I was 12 to 13 years of age we use to play loser explains,if you lost you had to explain why you played with no money for time use on the table.So you played your best or had to run and find some cash or get booted out till you paid your bill,it was really funny on how this went down now that I look back.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 11-22-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:18 PM

I have a 6X12, not used much any more. Twenty years ago our office Christmas party was held at the Ranchman's Club. After dinner a few of us headed downstairs for a game, CEO, Prez, lawyer, and a few others. Got a few good games going and took a poll around the room. Five out of six owned full size snooker tables, that was surprising. I played in the Calgary Corporate Cup, and our team came in second place.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:19 PM

It's nice to see there's guys around who still know the game and still have tables,we had great players in Canada during the late 70's and 80's.KIRK,CLIFF,BIG BIILL.Some how they just fell of the map and no more Canadian's. It would be great to see some one go pro and teach them boys a lesson across the pond.

It would also be nice for world snooker to hold at least one venue per year in Canada,then it may spark some interest.Two venues would be great.Other countries all across Europe are starting to have there own venues,why not Canada ,Cliff from Victoria BC was world champ in his hay day and is still giving lessons each day.

I am trying to talk to some guys on how this can happen,i think the best way is fly out and see Barry Hearn and get him to get it going. It's A real long shot ,but worth the effort if it could happen.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 11-22-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
It's nice to see there's guys around who still know the game and still have tables,we had great players in Canada during the late 70's and 80's.KIRK,CLIFF,BIG BIILL.Some how they just fell of the map and no more Canadian's. It would be great to see some one go pro and teach them boys a lesson across the pond.

It would also be nice for world snooker to hold at least one venue per year in Canada,then it may spark some interest.Two venues would be great.Other countries all across Europe are starting to have there own venues,why not Canada ,Cliff from Victoria BC was world champ in his hay day and is still giving lessons each day.

I am trying to talk to some guys on how this can happen,i think the best way is fly out and see Barry Hearn and get him to get it going. It's A real long shot ,but worth the effort if it could happen.

JD

I would do my best to support it.Think some of the reason in Canada no pros left is they have to go to Europe to compete and that takes money,and not poupler enough here to get sponsors.I just hope this table comes through for me .I need to get playing again and yeah this turned into a cool thread thanks guys.I see they are trying to get a couching course up and running
Old 11-22-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
I would do my best to support it.Think some of the reason in Canada no pros left is they have to go to Europe to compete and that takes money,and not poupler enough here to get sponsors.I just hope this table comes through for me .I need to get playing again and yeah this turned into a cool thread thanks guys.I see they are trying to get a couching course up and running
They have cue school over there in the UK and if you got the talent they push you forward ,you still need money,but it's an option that wasn,t around in my times.We need a few young players to take up the game .Most kids today are into straight pool or 8 ball,nine ball etc,and that's oka also,but none will be snooker players unless it's really promoted .Plus there are very few snooker places to go to.

I wouldn't let 11 or 12 year old kid hang out in a pool hall due the crime level that's out there today,in the 70's it was a very safe place to be.There you were taught respect and if you cocked off some one would give you a good lecture on manners.Today 12 year old kids tell there parents what to do.

So what we need are snooker clubs only ,with mentors to inspire younger people to get into it,but still let them know you need an education to fall back on.

JD
Old 11-22-2018, 04:18 PM
Banned

Good on you JD. Never took you as a snooker hound.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:33 PM

We used to play a lot of snooker on the 6 x 12s at the pool hall growing up. Having had an 8 x 4 for quite a few years now and recently playing on a 6 x 12, I've been officially humbled! Unreal how small and far away those pockets seem now.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Good on you JD. Never took you as a snooker hound.
Had and older brother who was a logger and my mother was not happy the way my education was going,so at 15 he hauled me of to the bush with my own shack to live in and I really fell in love with the outdoors.

I really struggle from a cue to a saw in my hands for 8 hours a day for a few months,but life was different back then and you grew up fast no matter what your trade was.In my 5 years of playing snooker hard you see the good,the bad and the ugly side of some people.None of this took place in the bush,everything was natural and most true outdoorsman are very good hearted folks.infact the best I ever met in my life.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Had and older brother who was a logger and my mother was not happy the way my education was going,so at 15 he hauled me of to the bush with my own shack to live in and I really fell in love with the outdoors.

I really struggle from a cue to a saw in my hands for 8 hours a day for a few months,but life was different back then and you grew up fast no matter what your trade was.In my 5 years of playing snooker hard you see the good,the bad and the ugly side of some people.None of this took place in the bush,everything was natural and most true outdoorsman are very good hearted folks.infact the best I ever met in my life.
I know you said "most". Albert Johnson might be an exception.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I know you said "most". Albert Johnson might be an exception.
Yes he never represented your typical outdoorsman.The Horseman never ever found out how he really was,so he could be put into a different category of your average love of the outdoors guy and I would bet good cash he never played snooker or had a table in his cabin.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:08 PM

used to play snookered golf at a pool hall on electric avenue in the early 90's. years later, I couldn't find anyone who knew the game and never touched a table again. very hard game that can last for days, but after you learn the rules and the shots, 8 ball seems like a kids folly.

just found this version, but in our version of which there were two; you had to bank your cue ball before meeting your ball to go to the designated hole. the second game type you had 3 balls, where you were the cue ball; a shared red ball was the golfclub; and your coloured ball was your golfball.

your cue ball hit the red that had to bank to hit your coloured ball into the designated hole. the red ball never left the table nor your coloured ball until you got the hole but your cue ball always started on your turn from the D. You had to play your ball to a hole but not to knock an opponent ball away; if it did happen, players would vote on whether it was intentional and if you would gain a stroke.

this version seems interesting but doesn't mention banks, and I'm sure there are other versions too.

http://www.snookergames.co.uk/games4.html

Last edited by Crankbait; 11-23-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:08 PM

There are a few versions when I think back,i walked into a hall one day and they were 6 guys playing golf with 6 or 8 pins,if you knocked over the black pin it cost 25or35 stokes,each pin had a value and you start from pocket one up 6.There was a guy named Len who took a 100 strokes the first hole,these guys were twice as good as him and they were hustling him.

I new Len had just had some work done on his heart about 2 month's before this and he was white as ghost and almost 65 years old,so I got angry and told them Len was out that I would start where he left off at 100,i ended the game at 104 and he ended up ahead buy 40 strokes.I never took any money ,but on my way out he called me back and gave me his cue and I said oka cause this way I knew he wouldn't play again. That was 20 years ago and that is still my main snooker cue.Len never played again.

Last game of golf I ever played also,it can be a real cut throat game cause 3 players can block you from going in and the other 2 take your money,so I enjoyed my last game stopping there hustle.It's to long to go into all the math on the strokes,but it's a game where you learn angles and proper shot weight.Plus the game never turned me on,it's was just a waste of time and like you say it can last for hours on in .Sometimes we played with ten wooded pins,so I seen guys take out 5 pins in a shot if you were hooked and had to hit your ball.

It's not any where near a real snooker game because the whole deal about snooker is keeping the other player sitting and you keep potting till you miss or win the game.
Keeps you focused and in a steady pace which you can control to certain point.

Golf can be played with both snooker balls,but with less players and a set of 8 ball where up 8 can play ,15 plus the cue ball divded by 2 is 8 players, 7 even coluor sets like the 2 and 10 would be a pair because there both blue etc. ,last set the 8 and the cue ball.Lotsa places had there own versions so I don't know them all,but the basics I do know.

JD
Old 11-24-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Yes he never represented your typical outdoorsman.The Horseman never ever found out how he really was,so he could be put into a different category of your average love of the outdoors guy and I would bet good cash he never played snooker or had a table in his cabin.
Ha! Tongue was firmly in cheek of course.