Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2018, 01:54 PM

Default Security Cam's

What's the best? Tired of the rash of property theft in the community and I'm not able to friend Smith & Wesson, Mr. Browning or Johnny Glock on facebook.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:05 PM

Not the best by any means but have the Arlo system and like it. Bought it off Amazon and is reasonably priced. Get a text when the camera goes off and so does the wife. If we are away I can simply add my neighbors cell number in so he can watch the place for me. Video is stored on the cloud. Cameras are wireless and rechargeable.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:56 PM

This will be really good....
https://youtu.be/GB4rmEXniSE
Old 10-14-2018, 06:04 PM

Make sure you have a look at this CBC Marketplace episode. It sure is an eye opener. “Home hack”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...g5MBUpONgbCabH
Old 10-15-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_80 View Post
Not the best by any means but have the Arlo system and like it. Bought it off Amazon and is reasonably priced. Get a text when the camera goes off and so does the wife. If we are away I can simply add my neighbors cell number in so he can watch the place for me. Video is stored on the cloud. Cameras are wireless and rechargeable.

Arlo systems are among the best bang-for-the-buck cameras. They are durable, reliable and the quality is good. They also have a camera now that uses a SIM card and doesn’t need wireless internet. A 4 camera Arlo Pro system and 1 Arlo-Go as a redundancy would be a pretty good setup for $1000 roughly.

And cloud storage is always good because of someone breaks in and all you have is a DVR... that can be stolen and then you have nothing at all to give to the police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
What's the best? Tired of the rash of property theft in the community and I'm not able to friend Smith & Wesson, Mr. Browning or Johnny Glock on facebook.
We have had some trouble with theft and picked up the Nest wireless cameras. They have been working great once we got them working. Needed to add some wifi extenders to get them to work properly. Video is super clear. You get notifications and cloud storage for up to 5 days for a yearly fee. If you have the other Nest products you can access them all through an app on your phone or tablet.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:02 PM

Don’t waste your time with a low resolution unit. Get 4K cameras. I bought an 8 camera outdoor system for $1450
Old 10-15-2018, 04:16 PM

I have arlo cams too and they work very well. Stay away from the Ring brand ones - I have some of those too and they are way slower and less reliable than the arlos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_80 View Post
Old 10-15-2018, 08:18 PM

Don't waste your money, they are good for nothing.

If you think a meth head cares about a camera you are sorely mistaken and the footage is as useless as the cameras themselves.

Spent the money on better locks and physical barriers.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:31 PM

X2 Nest Cam.
Instant alerts as long as you have good wifi.
Crystal clear video.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

If you think a meth head cares about a camera you are sorely mistaken and the footage is as useless as the cameras themselves.

My son worked in security and said the same thing. If you want something effective, install an alarm system that has loud sirens that will wake up the house.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

There is a lot of truth behind this comment. My brother and I both have Nest cams. So my brothers neighbor rings his doorbell and asks if he could check his cams from the previous day as his house was broken into. My brother takes a look and it shows two guys walking down the street and there faces can be seen as they walk up the neighbors driveway. Neighbor is happy camper now. The cops come and he mentions my brothers cameras show the dirt bags faces. Cops come over take a look and tell the neighbor to just get a hold of his insurance. Then they give him his police report number for insurance and leave.

Alarm systems - Calgary police do not respond to these anymore. But I do have to pay them a "permit" fee for having them. ADT gives me an option if the alarm goes off I can pay a fee and they will send there security and also contact the police. I say sign me up. Then 6 month later I am in Red Deer heading back to Calgary when I get a call that the front door alarm at my shop has gone off. I tell them send the cops and security. I get to Calgary and drive across the city and arrive at my shop. I have beaten the cops and security to my shop. Even though it ended up being a faulty sensor I would have paid the fee for the false alarm.

The system has let us down as a society.

Dodger.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:09 AM

Get a few of these and rig them up around the yard.

http://icebearalarm.com/order.html

I've bought a few of these but I have yet to try them out. Thought of connecting one behind the boat etc.
That'll have them chittin themselves running for cover.
The best as mentioned is a load outside siren to let them know they've been detected as well as the neighbours. Although I'm in the country.
I use Dakota Alert 2500 system. I know when something moves in many places in my yard, gate and even a bicycle on my driveway between the gate and road will be picked up. This along with a monitored alarm and another separate remote capability camera system.
They pull onto my driveway, they will already hear my siren from inside there vehicle, so basically "move along" is the plan.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:59 AM

+1 on the Arlo. If you want a notif when it detects motion, it's the way to go. It also has two way audio, so you can speak to whoever's on the other side. I also noticed that its night vision is clear considering we placed it in a not so "lighted" location. We just didn't like the battery life. We used to charge it every 5months, now we're down to 7-8weeks max.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:21 AM

Default Nest vs Arlo Pro 2

The field has been narrowed down to one of these two and I am interested in knowing peoples real experiences with either. I tried the Lorex system from Costco but ultimately returned it for various reasons. Wired outlets are available and preferred over having to worry about battery failure. This is for an acreage so I am still deciding if a wi-fi extender would be beneficial or a second system would be better for the shop and buildings.

Must haves:

Alerts on phone when person or vehicle has entered area.

Good app that will allow me (once notification received) to actively view camera footage in real time via phone/tablet/computer from remote (not on property) location.

Bonus: gate alert so I know when vehicle passes through.

Lets start there. Thanks
(would like to take advantage of Black Friday deals if decided)

Last edited by horsepower; 11-21-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:34 AM

Look into wyze cameras. They are incredibly good for the price. The only disadvantage is when using it outside you have to shelter it somewhat. Tons of people do it with success. I have used Arlo, it was on the front of my house, so high traffic, I got 4 weeks out of a set of batteries in the summer. That's not acceptable.

I've been very happy with my wyze camera in the garage, picture and night vision is great. I will be putting some outside once I figure out how to run power.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
There is a lot of truth behind this comment. My brother and I both have Nest cams. So my brothers neighbor rings his doorbell and asks if he could check his cams from the previous day as his house was broken into. My brother takes a look and it shows two guys walking down the street and there faces can be seen as they walk up the neighbors driveway. Neighbor is happy camper now. The cops come and he mentions my brothers cameras show the dirt bags faces. Cops come over take a look and tell the neighbor to just get a hold of his insurance. Then they give him his police report number for insurance and leave.

Dodger.
If you want the cops to come and press charges and find the thiefs, say that you captured the thiefs on camera saying something Racist or Misogynist. The cops will come right away and the Media will phone you to report on the story and expose the Racists.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:36 AM

From someone who worked in the security industry for 10 years... cameras are only useful if you have someone monitoring them 24\7 with the ability to respond immediately like a commercial building with an on site security force. The police don't care any more if its a simple theft or burglary. Here's the case number for your insurance company then you never hear from them again. The only way they will look into it is if a firearm is stolen or there was a physical danger to someone at the time.
The only times I have ever seen cameras be useful is if you can identify the suspect as someone you know then you confront them to get your property back. Of course if you take any vigilante action your will be charged.
Actually there are times when a low resolution camera is better. For example you could say you have reason to believe the suspect is in possession of a weapon because you cant see it clearly. At least this way your not lying and you might get a faster response.

In the event your home gets professionally burgled, these guys already know how to block or jam cameras, how to hack the wifi system and delete the footage. They know how to spot a fake camera a mile away or keep their faces hidden.

Physical barriers are your best bet, if you make yourself a harder target the thieves will look for an easier place to steal from.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Banned

In my opinion they're of limited use and not worth the headache. I would consider dummy cameras for deterrence. Physical barriers, hiding things, and making your property unattractive to thieves would be more effective.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Run your game cams as security cams.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-21-2018, 01:00 PM

When were broke into earlier in year I was away for the day (Calgary gun show), and the rest of the family was away for the day/night. A "service type" truck had parked on the road all day watching the property. They also parked in the yard and proceeded to walk the property and look in every window and try every door. Many neighbours had driven by, seen the truck in the yard, but figured I was getting "service" work of some sort done. I returned home after the show to quickly grab my work truck and headed to a work emergency that took me off property for 1.5 hours. In that 1.5 hour span a second truck went to my property, broke in and stole many $$$ of stuff. I figured I missed them by 15 minutes as it was snowing hard and the tracks were still fresh.

This was not a professional job, although it was an organized group that have been spotted throughout the remaining year. They are opportunists. I now have physical barriers and multiple motion sensor lights. I am now adding cameras to the list. If I had a camera that would have alerted me to people/vehicles on the premises I would have had a neighbour come over. Hence, I am looking for a camera system that provides alerts and real time viewing.

Regarding Arlo, I have read that batteries do not last long in the cold and that is why I am looking for a plug in camera for outside use. Arlo did have a plug in cord but I understand they were removed from the market due to "problems". I do not know if they have a new plug in available for market. I will look into wyze.

Thank you.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:04 PM

We had ADT send their security to our shop in Lethbridge a while back. It was an inside motion sensor that was setting the alarm. The security guy says all the windows are intact and there are no doors breached. He could not see any signs of entry so no police were not called. At work the next day a guy delivers a report to me from the security company that ADT uses. He informed me that he was the guy that checked the building the night before.
Well one look at him and I knew darn well he was BS'ing. Fat out of shape piece of crap lied on his report about peering in the windows. I called him out knowing there was no way he could hop the 6 ft chain link fence around the yard. He admitted only looking at the building from the locked gate 60 yrds away. ADT didn't seem to bother by that admission when I called them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post

Alarm systems - Calgary police do not respond to these anymore. But I do have to pay them a "permit" fee for having them. ADT gives me an option if the alarm goes off I can pay a fee and they will send there security and also contact the police. I say sign me up. Then 6 month later I am in Red Deer heading back to Calgary when I get a call that the front door alarm at my shop has gone off. I tell them send the cops and security. I get to Calgary and drive across the city and arrive at my shop. I have beaten the cops and security to my shop. Even though it ended up being a faulty sensor I would have paid the fee for the false alarm.

The system has let us down as a society.

Dodger.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:34 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble of confidence, but if you want I have some stills of guys on what can best be described as "HODDIECAM".

What they do is turn their jackets inside out, pull up the hoodie, put on a ball cap, pull up a bandanna, and march on up. However, when they see the security sirens up high, they seem motivated to move on????

Saddest part is the attitude of police. Surely they could get a fingerprint given the amount of contact in the house, on the doors, etc, but they never even bother.

Then there is the other factor, alot of these meth heads don't even care if you catch them, and "discipline" them. They are so wacked out that they would kill their mother for a hit. They can only think in the next 10 minutes, so consequences mean nothing.

Drewski
Old 11-21-2018, 02:49 PM
Banned

i have the arlo it's good enough
Old 11-21-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Doberman
German Shepherd
Sharplaninac

They only act in self defence. Best alarm system ever
Old 11-21-2018, 02:59 PM

I have 4 cameras setup aside from theft I find they are handy for other things like who stopped by when we weren't home, watching squirrels chew my satellite dish wires, who's knocking on the door salesmen religious groups easy to ignore. A form of entertainment watching the grandkids playing in the backyard.
I caught a guy on camera going through my truck one night cops didn't care but his parents did when I showed them the snapshot.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:04 PM

I have bike paths on 3 sides of my lot in a crescent. I have had several incidents of vandalism and theft. I even had someone doing a power turn (in the middle of the night) and slide up on my driveway and hit my truck parked there. So I put up cameras so I could see what is happening. I don't expect the pictures to be used to prosecute anyone, but it gives me peace of mind.
A couple of weeks ago I saw someone in my back yard workshop. My son and I caught one but couldn't hold him (he was a big guy and my son has COPD and I'm 72). Took police 13 minutes to respond. The crooks ran off without their bikes, which were probably stolen. I gave the police video but they all had their hoods up and could still see two of their faces. Nothing came of it.
The crooks didn't care that the security lights were on, just walked into the yard like they belonged there.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:38 PM
Banned

Just make sure you aren't going to get alerts for trees blowing in the wind, insects flying around, and snow falling. Unfortunately many of the consumer-grade security systems are terrible in terms of filtering out junk vs. something actually happening. If I knew of a decent priced system that was actually smart enough to detect a foreign vehicle or person then that would be a lot more useful. The technology should be there sooner or later, governments already have it.