Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 PM

Default Anybody fish a rainshadow?

anybody have opinions on Rainshadow blanks? I'm building a 5wt RX8 graphite, but I'm looking for opinions on the RX7. I know it'll obviously be a bit slower, but does anyone fish one?

also if anybody has some old blanks they aren't going to build with, I'd take them off your hands

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 09-20-2013, 09:18 PM

I built a 5wt rod on the RX7 blank, it is slower than a HMX blank, and the HMX blank is slightly slower than a Quickline blank. For creeks I would recommend it, for lakes I would pick one of the other two. In my mind the Quickline is too fast for good presentation but is the bomb for distance. I have a 4wt HMX which I love for presentation when there is no wind. Never tried an RX8.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 PM

Built a couple RX7 blanks up several years ago, a 10' 5wt and a 9' 3wt. The 5wt was a very soft rod, but was great for multi-fly nymph rigs (threw open loops). The 3wt was okay, I wasn't overly fond of the action is there was a very clear location of where the stiff butt section transitioned into the tip. I didn't like it, however after I sold it I saw the guy who bought it post about liking the action.

What weight are you looking at building?
Old 09-21-2013, 12:47 AM

Smile

I have a couple of Rainshadow's that I have built. My 9'6" 8 wt is my go to rod for pike fishing in lakes, bone fishing in the Caribean and streamers in the Bow. It is a great rod with lots of back bone to cut a line through the wind.

The RX7 is quite a bit slower of a blank. But having said that it is still a very good blank and just like any rod it takes a few casts to get back into the pace of how it is cast.

I do have some Rainshadow blanks. Let me know what your after.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:12 AM

I was thinking of building myself a nice 3wt creek rod. I already have a 6'6" 2wt and a 7'6" 4wt, and was thinking the 3 would be a nice addition to my smallwater arsenal. I fish creeks more than anything else.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire