Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 AM

Default Custom rod anyone?

If I were to offer to build custom rods by order for profit, would anyone here want one?

just wondering if I could make a bit of extra cash this way...

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 09-17-2013, 07:13 AM

I would consider it if I saw some previous rods you have done. You probably already posted pics
Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM

I guess it really depends on the quality of the blank.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-17-2013, 09:45 AM

I might be interested, depending on the cost and performance.

I'd have to see some big fish caught on the rods first ;-)
Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 AM

Think long and hard about warranty before you jump into that, just mailing broken pieces around costs a lot of money. Blank Companies want to see the blanks before they ship out a new piece, so your on the hook for shipping plus rebuilding the blank, all for someone that may have abused the rod. On a broken rod your profit is pretty much gone, if it breaks a second time your working in the negative.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-17-2013, 05:24 PM

thank you for the input everyone.

Pikergolf, that is something I had not considered. I suppose I could make it a term of sale that any shipping regarding a broken blank would be the cost of the buyer. Any other breaks I would cover (guides, handles, etc.)

Old 09-17-2013, 06:15 PM

Default Experience

How many rods have you built? If its none or only a few, then no!! Need to have experience and be able to recommend various blanks and components for specific applications. My rod builder has a great pedigree, no need to look else where!

Build at least 50 and maybe we'll talk!!

Better get building! ;-)

P
Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Think long and hard about warranty before you jump into that, just mailing broken pieces around costs a lot of money. Blank Companies want to see the blanks before they ship out a new piece, so your on the hook for shipping plus rebuilding the blank, all for someone that may have abused the rod. On a broken rod your profit is pretty much gone, if it breaks a second time your working in the negative.
This.

For warranty coverage the only thing my customer pays is a fee to get a new section of blank, all other repairs I will eat the cost. I usually order 2 blanks at a time and keep one on hand for warranty if needed. Then I will build up the 2nd blank at a later date if not used and sell it for a little profit, basically cover my costs plus a little extra to restock components.

When I first started building 'professionally' my goal was to provide a 'Custom' rod for the price of a factory rod, basically you could get that Sage One, with a custom turned grip, matching reelseat insert, thread colour of your choice, feather inlays and inscription for about the same price as a rod off the shelf. For a while I was cranking out 50 to 70 rods a year (a lot of work) at the end of it all I realized I was just turning any money I made right around and putting it into the next rod, certainly not a money making enterprise. Now I build more for the enjoyment, still do a custom rod once in a while and even try to make some money off it.

Guess what I'm trying to say is 'Good Luck' and have fun with it but don't try to get rich. Oh yeah, another fun part, for some reason most folks want a custom rod right in the middle of the best fishing time

Colin
Old 09-17-2013, 08:34 PM

I'm with Colin and I charge a decent sum for a rod. After parts, advertising, web design & shop costs, the guy pumping gas gets about $10/hr more than I do.
And you can't compete with the off shore stuff.
I got $0.50/fly in 1971 and you can buy flies now 40 years later for <$1.00/fly and for that
reason, I no longer the flies commercially.

Don
Old 09-18-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
I'm with Colin and I charge a decent sum for a rod. After parts, advertising, web design & shop costs, the guy pumping gas gets about $10/hr more than I do.
And you can't compete with the off shore stuff.
I got $0.50/fly in 1971 and you can buy flies now 40 years later for <$1.00/fly and for that
reason, I no longer the flies commercially.

Don
I agree with Don, I also made a living tying for may years but the products from offshore shut me down. Even though the quality is lower and labor conditions poor most people go for the cheap flies instead of from a local tier that knows the waters. Just tie custom for some clients. Same thing with rods, you can't compete with offshore labor prices.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-18-2013, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
If I were to offer to build custom rods by order for profit, would anyone here want one?

just wondering if I could make a bit of extra cash this way...
That's pretty ambitious for a newbie rod builder.
Gotta get some kills under your belt first bro.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:21 AM

yeah, I'm not planning on doing it soon. Just wondering if it's something I can eventually make a little cash off of.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:55 PM

Just Do it when you feel comfortable doing it, when you think your rods are the best quality you can get. Actually, when you are planning something, do not share with anyone, just do it and period. If you ask 100 people about what do they think, each one of them will have a different opinion and you won't get anything positive out of there! MOST people will critize (because they are not capable or smart enough to think in become an entrepreneur) and some others will support you. do you think sage, hardy's, tfo or any big company went asking what the people think about a new company??? NOOOOOO they just did it and that's it. Marketing will take care of make you big...

don't bother asking here, don't waste your time, just make a plan, give a time frame, learn, become an expert, get the suppliers and get your friends to try your rods, then they will share the awesome rods you are making and then more people will know about you. Finally, you will remember me for the free advice I gave you today and you will give me a custom rod!

use you tube, make videos....you have no idea how good is for marketing

Last edited by osedma; 09-18-2013 at 02:16 PM.