Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2013, 01:52 PM

Default highwood

So it has been high and dirty all season. Last I saw it was 3 ish weeks ago and it was still chocolate milk. Anyone seen it lately or better yet fished it? I haven't chucked anything in it yet this year and I'm dieing a little inside every day the season gets closer to ending. Just dont wanna drive all the way there when I can just get chocolate milk from the grocery store down the road.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
So it has been high and dirty all season. Last I saw it was 3 ish weeks ago and it was still chocolate milk. Anyone seen it lately or better yet fished it? I haven't chucked anything in it yet this year and I'm dieing a little inside every day the season gets closer to ending. Just dont wanna drive all the way there when I can just get chocolate milk from the grocery store down the road.
I was in High River yesterday. The highwood was dirty.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarysledguy View Post
I was in High River yesterday. The highwood was dirty.
Catch anything? I don't understand why its still like this. Everything else is clear
Old 09-13-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Catch anything? I don't understand why its still like this. Everything else is clear
I was out there working. I was going to fish after work but was to dirty for me.

The river was clear. There was a rainfall warning in kananaskis last Saturday so maybe that is why its dirty. Im sure its slowly clearing up each day. Maybe its clearer higher up stream.

Last edited by calgarysledguy; 09-13-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarysledguy View Post
I was out there working. I was going to fish after work but was to dirty for me.

The river was clear. There was a rainfall warning in kananaskis last Saturday so maybe that is why its dirty. Im sure its slowly clearing up each day. Maybe its clearer higher up stream.
Hmm well thanks I might still have a chance to hit it up before season ends
Old 09-15-2013, 04:25 PM

I was there on Friday. We fished at Highwood River PRA (caught a monster 4" Brookie) and looked down from the bridge by Highwood House. The road is closed at the gate, and the trunk road is barricaded, so that's as far as we went.

The water was gin-clear, and cold as always. Hard to tell if it's high or not because it's so different. If you've fished it before, I'd say it's worth the drive.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:32 AM

Default road closures

Was going to head out to try my luck after being told that Cataract creek was good for newbie fly fishers ( thats me ) found this link.....

http://www.albertaparks.ca/media/331...ood_trails.pdf
Old 09-16-2013, 01:45 PM

You can still get to the lower end of Cataract.

Take Hwy 541 (aka 941 aka 40) West from Longview to where Sentinel Day Use Site used to be (it still shows up on maps, just not in real life anymore). The creek coming into the Highwood from the South is Cataract.