Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Gone Hunting

"I don't have an issue with the landowner confronting the sledders. They may indeed have trespassed. But hitting the guy without provocation while carrying a gun? No.

If you keep thinking like this you won't need any help at all voting...the right way come election time. It's just common sense.

"Pretend the alpaca lover is Somalian, and think of the ramifications"

And there it is folks, proof that there is no topic that can't be derailed into race or religion.

Who would have thunk that a sledding thread from Saskatchewan had anything to do with a Somalian diet?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-24-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Too much sun while you were away Ken ?

How would you feel if a couple young lads were on your property causing you issues ? Any issues really, theft, damage, threat ?

Pretty clear really, sure a man of your statue would put your mitt around their neck at minimum
Not nearly enough!!!

Not good, but would I risk criminal charges by threatening them with a loaded firearm? Awwwww hell no!

Would I defend myself? Sure, wouldn't we all if met with an aggressor?

But, and in getting back to my being away, I like going away. I work all year to do it once every year.

I love crossing the Border, ANY border without a problem, and I enjoy fully not ever having any sort of Criminal Record. THAT is what controls my emotions 99.99% of the time, knowing a stupid altercation could put a simple thing like an overseas holiday at risk.

They were kids on sleds riding on snow, not patched Hells Angels doing donuts in my shot trying to steal my prize alpacas. lol.

He went too far. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Typical hick solving all their "problems" with guns. Should be charged with assault.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 03-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Maybe he could/should have charged them with trespassing on his I would assume posted land, but he went way too far. They should have not gone on his land.
He can't charge them with trespassing as they weren't on his land. They didn't go on his land. He did leave his own property with his gun and went onto his neighbours property with it,, not sure of the laws on this, maybe someone else knows.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:00 PM

Just a farmer protecting his "lease".
Old 03-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmike68 View Post
Just a farmer protecting his "lease".
Doesn't anyone read. He and the snowmobilers had their tiff on someone else's land.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Doesn't anyone read. He and the snowmobilers had their tiff on someone else's land.
but but but they might have been up to no good and thinking about stealing sumthin

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-24-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter3-0 View Post
Typical hick solving all their "problems" with guns. Should be charged with assault.
The thing is, nobody else will solve it for him.

The part that bothers me here is the RCMP won't do a thing for you here. I have had issues in the past with trespassers I have had names, pictures and license plates and the mounties won't do a thing. They have bigger fish to fry, and while I get that.......what is a guy to do?

I suspect if he didn't have a gun, they would have blown by him and likely dusted him with snow for fun.

This fella went overboard, but I completely get his frustration.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:10 PM

Bottom line the sledders were trespassing. Did they cause any damage. No. The 'tard with the gun, if he wanted to confront the sledders should have went and confronted them but leave the gun at home. The guy with the gun should be charged.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Not nearly enough!!!

Not good, but would I risk criminal charges by threatening them with a loaded firearm? Awwwww hell no!

Would I defend myself? Sure, wouldn't we all if met with an aggressor?

But, and in getting back to my being away, I like going away. I work all year to do it once every year.

I love crossing the Border, ANY border without a problem, and I enjoy fully not ever having any sort of Criminal Record. THAT is what controls my emotions 99.99% of the time, knowing a stupid altercation could put a simple thing like an overseas holiday at risk.

They were kids on sleds riding on snow, not patched Hells Angels doing donuts in my shot trying to steal my prize alpacas. lol.

He went too far. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Words of the young fella...

"I got to this one spot and got stuck, got off my sled to start digging myself out," he said. "I turned around and realized there's a house there and I am on some guy's yard."

Looking at the snow conditions in the video, it would be assumed this guy was boon docking well off the established trail in order to get stuck. Realizing he is in some guys yard really shows the mentality of this clown..

"I got off my sled and in a fairly aggressive tone, said 'what the F are you doing?'" he said. "At that point, he slaps me in the side of the head. He was very, very upset and you couldn't even reason with him."

Both sledders engaged this man aggressively, swearing and dropping the "F" bombs like they were wrongfully done by... A swat in the helmet certainly has more entertainment value than anything..

On another note, shotty did not have a load chambered

Have to side with the land owner here...
Old 03-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
but but but they might have been up to no good and thinking about stealing sumthin
Like an Alpaca.

I'd pay to see a couple of sledder's rustlin 'paca's.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Have to side with the land owner here
The landowner wasn't there. The guy with the gun wasn't the landowner any more than the sledders were.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
The landowner wasn't there. The guy with the gun wasn't the landowner any more than the sledders were.
they weren't on his property just prior to the confrontation?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:19 PM

Pretty safe bet the guy who was brandishing the shotgun will be charged. When you go looking for trouble...

The sled-necks should be charged as well, and I to, doubt calling the police would have done much for getting them charged.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:41 PM

Does anyone know the fine for trespass in Sask?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:47 PM

We don't have all the story here.

The land owner caught them in a pickup. At the end of this video there is a second vehicle sitting by the gates. This guy had time to round up a second set of hands, start his truck and chase these pukes down.

Me thinks that the guys on the sleds poked the dragon in some fashion.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
they weren't on his property just prior to the confrontation?
They crossed his property and the confrontation took place on a neighbours property. I just googled where they said they were and where he lives. They lied and he didn't just pop next door, he went for a bit of a drive.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:59 PM

All I see is intimidation with a firearm , that overrides the wrong the snowmobilers did by trespassing .

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 03-24-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I know what I would do.

If I got away without incident it would be straight to the RCMP with the video, asking the RCMP to pursue charges of uttering threats, common assault, assault with a weapon, pointing a firearm, use of firearm in commission of an offense, intimidation, unlawful confinement, threat of bodily harm, damage to personal property.

Then I would contact a Collection Agency and have them go after him for the damages to the snowmobile. (hood)

THEN I would go to the media.
I know I'd keep my rifle on hand for the collection guy as well, if he was on my land its game on, I have shot out the tires of a repeated trespasser, charged couldn't be pressed civil was awarded to me quite high. He did chase them to a neighbors he was out of line. Should have got their plate #

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 03-24-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I liked how the poor landowner said he carried the gun because he didn't know if he would be assaulted. Well, if you go up to people and slap them, you probably will get the crap punched out of you. Of course with wackadoodle carrying a gun, the snowmobiler didn't dare defend himself.

There's one gun owner who should have his PAL pulled for a good long time.

I don't have an issue with the landowner confronting the sledders. They may indeed have trespassed. But hitting the guy without provocation while carrying a gun? No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
1) pull his PAL forever
2) charge him to the full extent the law permits.

Guys using rifles in such a manner should set the firearms community a gasp.

Pretend the alpaca lover is Somalian, and think of the ramifications.
Gun owners like this give the RCMP and politicians all the ammo they need. I agree, strip him of his pal and any guns. This could have ended very badly for either party. Sledders should have known better but no reason to bring a gun into the situation.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhguy View Post
I know I'd keep my rifle on hand for the collection guy as well, if he was on my land its game on, I have shot out the tires of a repeated trespasser, charged couldn't be pressed civil was awarded to me quite high. He did chase them to a neighbors he was out of line. Should have got their plate #
So you don't pay a bill intentionally, a Collection Agency sends someone out and you specifically have a rifle loaded for that?
Am I reading this correctly?

Are you pointing this threat directly at me knowing I am a 'collection guy'?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
So you don't pay a bill intentionally, a Collection Agency sends someone out and you specifically have a rifle loaded for that?
Am I reading this correctly?

Are you pointing this threat directly at me knowing I am a 'collection guy'?
Your comment going after him for the hood damage prompted my retort. I have used agents in the past for logical and legal reasons to collect money owed to my company. This story hits me as it is almost identical, I had over a dozen calls to rcmp about trespassing on my land and the same guys shot at an elk on my elk farm. I took out their tires..they called a collection agent on me, lots of threats and attempts at physical intimidation...i won and the agent payed as well.

So when you make a comment like that no matter how good you are at your job expect a reaction. You wanted one by posting what you said?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
So you shot out a guys tires and then the courts awarded you money? I think I am gonna throw the bs flag here. A good friend of mine who used to own land by south fork put a bullet through an engine of a quad after they cut his fence and were rutting up his land. They came back with the cops two days later and he was arrested and charged with a bunch of different offences, did 8 months in jail plus a huge fine plus weapons prohibition.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:31 PM

How long til that shotgun is on the prohib list?
Old 03-24-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Your comment going after him for the hood damage prompted my retort. I have used agents in the past for logical and legal reasons to collect money owed to my company. This story hits me as it is almost identical, I had over a dozen calls to rcmp about trespassing on my land and the same guys shot at an elk on my elk farm. I took out their tires..they called a collection agent on me, lots of threats and attempts at physical intimidation...i won and the agent payed as well.

So when you make a comment like that no matter how good you are at your job expect a reaction. You wanted one by posting what you said?
All the other inconsequntial fluff aside, you used them to your advantage, but when one comes for you there has to be a rifle involved?

Ok.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
How long til that shotgun is on the prohib list?
Lol you saw it was a 'black shotgun' too?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
What was the Docket # of the judgement?
Old 03-24-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpilefsj View Post
So you shot out a guys tires and then the courts awarded you money? I think I am gonna throw the bs flag here. A good friend of mine who used to own land by south fork put a bullet through an engine of a quad after they cut his fence and were rutting up his land. They came back with the cops two days later and he was arrested and charged with a bunch of different offences, did 8 months in jail plus a huge fine plus weapons prohibition.
I got all legal costs and lost income...i also had a long documented,and photographed history of trespassing and poaching on our elk farm. As stated I was charged, dropped, as a constant thread was proved.

The guy should never have left his land with a gun, just a camera. The issue is that these guys are never charged or even usually warned...why should the guy have to patrol his land.

Hitting the sledder was very wrong, also he didn't in that instance need to kick the sled, I would have gone for the plates.

If the gun wasn't there he likley would have hit beat up or, and hopefully they would have raced by him

Old 03-24-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
What was the Docket # of the judgement?
I'd never post personal info on any site why would anyone ever do that?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I'd never post personal info on any site why would anyone ever do that?
the courts are not personal.
Closed Thread