Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2010, 11:50 PM

Default Rompola Buck

Is the story of the Rompola Buck fairly well known?

I was googling deer related stuff, namly the Milo Hansen buck, and stumbled upon the Rompola Buck story, and I must say I am quite facinated. I read one article that tore every peice of the picture and the story behind it apart. Quite the conspiricy theory.

Whats your thoughts? Legit world record or fake? This Mitch Rompola dude sure seems like an oddball. Pretty interesting story - I'd never heard of it til now.

Last edited by outdoors forever; 11-19-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:59 PM

I tried attaching a pic of the buck but Photobucket has changed its format and I can't get a pic to transfer to the forum like it used to.

Friggin computers.................
Old 11-20-2010, 12:02 AM

This it?

Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 11-20-2010, 12:04 AM

Thats it.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:11 AM

Here.

Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 11-20-2010, 06:17 AM

Story is a few yrs old as I recall. I remember reading that he wont allow it to be officially measured or something. I think it is generally considered a hoax.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:40 AM
Banned

total fraud. he entered a real deer before that one, and for the amount of money that deer would bring if it was real, there is no question he would prove it. he tried to make money off it without the proof, but when threatened with legal action he went away.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
total fraud. he entered a real deer before that one, and for the amount of money that deer would bring if it was real, there is no question he would prove it. he tried to make money off it without the proof, but when threatened with legal action he went away.
I have to disagree with ya Shooter. The only people who had a problem with this deer were the people who were making money off the Hanson buck, and Im not including Milo himself, but the others around him like Larry Huffman and Ron Boetcher. Rampola didnt have to prove anything to anyone, just as you dont. He never claimed the deer to be a world record, that was the internet that did that. Yes, it was affecting the bottom line of those around the Hanson buck so they released a "put up or shut up" option to Rampola. He dont like P&Y or B&C because of past actions from both clubs. He elected to pull the deer from the spotlight. It is agreed the deer will remain hidden until the Hanson buck is beaten by another deer other then the Rampola buck. Now heres the part that most people havnt heard alot about. Richard Smith, an outdoor writter from Michigan, wrote an article about the deer. He interviewed B&C measurers, police officers, and family members who have seen the deer and swear it is real. The B&C measurers actually measured the buck, giving to it what will become its entry score. The only people who say the buck is not real are people who havnt seen the buck. People who say they have seen it all attest to its being real. I had my display at a large fair in Michigan this past summer, and had a yoiung man approach me and ask about the Ramploa buck, wondering what I thought of it. I explained to him that I had an open opinion and actually hoped it was real. Turns out the guy is a Grandson of a property owner that had the buck residing on his property part of the year. Grandpa swears he seen the buck several times throught the year, and possibly having sheds from the deer when it was younger. I didnt get to talk with Grandpa, but the kid was sincere and offered to take me out to his Grandpa's house and speak with him personally and see the sheds. There is an arguement for both sides with this deer. But I personally believe there is more "proven" evidence supporting its existance then there is real evidence pointing to it being a fake. Part of my business is being on top of stuff like this because I get asked a hundred times a year about this deer, and others (like the Zaft for example). I've never claimed to be a know-it-all, but I do get to talk with tens of thousands of hunters each year. I have to weed out BS from fact. Another thing to consider is this, one of the most respected antler men in the world approached Rampola with an offer to do a limited edition bronze of the buck. I believe this man would have never entered the controversy if he didnt know something about the deer being real. My opinion, gathered from years of conversation, reading between the lines, reading and studying everything on the subject..., is the deer is real and Mitch Ramploa could care less what you and I think about that! Now, here are a couple more things to consider. While at the Indiana State Fair this past summer, I was shown a dozen pictures of a bow killed whitetail that has a gross typical score of 239 and a net score of 220! Yes thats right! Its a 6x6 frame with matching g2 forks (like a mulie), heavy mass and wide. Its all there! The hunter knows exactly what he has and could care less about records or public opinion. Another buck, and this one can be Googled for the story and pictures, is the Johnny King buck from Wisconsin. Net score of 215 after official panel scoring but not accepted by B&C. Jack Reneau (B&C records chairman) has gotten himself into a pretty good jam over this deer. But thats another story of its own.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:08 PM

Why did he have the skull all taped up and refused to show it or un-tape it for the measurers?? If he had nothing to hide he should be willing to get the skull x - rayed to prove its legit.

Theres not really caring about what everyone thinks, then there is hiding/withholding details that make it look sketchy, something this Mitch dude seems to be doing.

I know I don't know a whole lot about this story, but from the article I read I would call fraud on this buck.

???
Old 11-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
x2 This is what i heard happened as well...
Old 11-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Banned

There has never been a yank born that would let a record walk if he knew he had it,, never..
Old 11-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

you sure are entitled to your opinion plummer, but the FACT that strikes me the most in the whole story, is that he entered a deer in B&C already.....if i remember right it was a real high ranking bowkill from michigan. might have even been the number 1 bowkill from michigan at the time. it netted in the 180s if i remember right. now if he entered that one and layed out enough proof to have it enetered....why is he refusing to show the proof on this one? to say he doesnt care might work if he hadnt cared about the first one. sorry dude....im believing the guy is full o' poo. his story just doesnt add up even a little bit. also...yes he did try to profit from the deer. he was booked for several outdoor shows with his new world record in tow, or at least thats what the reports said. oh and im gonna guess you meant ron boucher...not boetcher?

i havent heard about the other 2 bucks you mentioned, but i have had my own hands on wayne zafts buck. i have no idea how it happened, but when that thing went to panel.....he got hosed. EVERY trained scorer that i have personally talked to who has actually touched the rack agrees that a mistake was made and that deer should be the official number 2 at 207ish. the G2 and G3 on the right side hare a common base but are for absolute sure 2 typical points by the definitions set out by boone and crockett. when you run your fingers over the common base there is a clear figure 8. there are a lot of conspiracy theories and i am not gonna wade into that mess. all i can say is the panel was wrong.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
you sure are entitled to your opinion plummer, but the FACT that strikes me the most in the whole story, is that he entered a deer in B&C already.....if i remember right it was a real high ranking bowkill from michigan. might have even been the number 1 bowkill from michigan at the time. it netted in the 180s if i remember right. now if he entered that one and layed out enough proof to have it enetered....why is he refusing to show the proof on this one? to say he doesnt care might work if he hadnt cared about the first one. sorry dude....im believing the guy is full o' poo. his story just doesnt add up even a little bit. also...yes he did try to profit from the deer. he was booked for several outdoor shows with his new world record in tow, or at least thats what the reports said. oh and im gonna guess you meant ron boucher...not boetcher?
i havent heard about the other 2 bucks you mentioned, but i have had my own hands on wayne zafts buck. i have no idea how it happened, but when that thing went to panel.....he got hosed. EVERY trained scorer that i have personally talked to who has actually touched the rack agrees that a mistake was made and that deer should be the official number 2 at 207ish. the G2 and G3 on the right side hare a common base but are for absolute sure 2 typical points by the definitions set out by boone and crockett. when you run your fingers over the common base there is a clear figure 8. there are a lot of conspiracy theories and i am not gonna wade into that mess. all i can say is the panel was wrong.
ISB, your exactly right!! I got a buddy down there , who personally knows him, and it's amazing some of the things that either he's done or happened to him in his life . When you have nothing to hide you always step up to the plate. I mean who in there right mind turns down millions of dollars on poor excuses?!?!?!?!? It would be like winning the lotto max $50 million, but not wanting to show my ticket to anyone cause I have a problem with lottery vendors

And anyone whos says they don't care about records, especially when #1 is at stake and Millions of $$$$ is full of My dog's residu !!! I heard Milo used to average about 4600$ a week off his buck.

But i guess working 9-5 for $8.00 is better than possible retirement, because we don't care about scoring systems...

I score bucks for my own enjoyment and it helps paint a mental picture when describing the buck. I wouldn't enter a buck in the books unless it was a potential #1 is a specific catergory. I'm sure the majority follow suit as well.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
ISB, your exactly right!! I got a buddy down there , who personally knows him, and it's amazing some of the things that either he's done or happened to him in his life . When you have nothing to hide you always step up to the plate. I mean who in there right mind turns down millions of dollars on poor excuses?!?!?!?!? It would be like winning the lotto max $50 million, but not wanting to show my ticket to anyone cause I have a problem with lottery vendors

And anyone whos says they don't care about records, especially when #1 is at stake and Millions of $$$$ is full of My dog's residu !!! I heard Milo used to average about 4600$ a week off his buck.

But i guess working 9-5 for $8.00 is better than possible retirement, because we don't care about scoring systems.
$50 Million???? Has anyone asked Milo about this? I guess thats why he went back to farming. Its very obvious from the above posts that all any of you have heard has been written by Larry Huffman or just rumor. Nothing mentioned above is based on fact, including the insinuations of financial gain. I have talked with his friends and can base alot of what I said on that fact. Put your biases aside and look into Rampola's story. And try and find more then what Larry Huffman had to say about it. Larry was making as much money on Milo's deer as Milo was, and Rampola was getting to a point where that money was about to go elsewhere. Larry Huffman was a great guy, but he was also very greedy. You didnt take a dollar from Larry. And yes, I did know him and knew him very well. I'm not hear to start a ****in match, I could care less if the deer ever comes out of the closet. The original post asked if it was real and I gave my opinion based on years of hanging with some of the biggest names in the whitetail business, and meeting people who actaully know Mitch Rampola. Like any other story out there, there are always two sides. And with this one I know both sides and most all of the people involved. Facts, not rumors, will prove this deer to be real or fake. And right now the facts present themselves more favorably to it being real. Take a look for yourselves, the info is out there, but it may not be easy to find. But if you are looking for the truth you can find it.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:03 PM

Well thats your opinion! and great, but the general concencess around those parts don't match your opinion, and thats from people who know him, and I trust.

I'm sure theres not a board member on here, if questioned on the authentisity of there buck, or even character, that they wouldn't offer up anything the the hunting community, media or anyone else was asking.........Where I come from my Name means everything !
Old 11-21-2010, 02:24 PM

that picture showing the reasons why its a fake looks stupid. ive seen lots of deer with droopy ears , tines are different colours....not really , somebody is really grasping at straws here.