Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2010, 09:49 AM
sheephunter

I've had the good fortune to hunt with a couple of Austrian fellows and on both occasions when an animal was killed, we toasted with schnapps and said "waidmann's heil". It was kind of cool. We did something similar in Africa with the kudu but the drink came from a minature gas can...lol That was followed back at camp by raw kudu liver and a toast with brandy.

We always toast the end of sheep season with some Jagermeister from our sheep sot glasses as well.

Last edited by sheephunter; 11-07-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 AM

I found lately that I've been honouring my 'harvest' in a new way, by letting them walk away.

In my early years, the kill was the focus, then came the mid years of appreciating the journey over the destination.

Now in my later years, I know the moment when he's mine, and no more needs to be done, other than offer a salute to a moment shared.

This year is a bit more exciting. I've been permissioned into an area that has a history of good bucks, with gorgeous topography, and is closer to home. I'm not invisioning a kill, but I'm sure to see some of my best Alberta bucks in the next few weeks.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post

My very first kill, as he lay dying, I stroked his jaw and told him it wouldnt be long until peace.
You would have done him a bigger favour by putting another bullet in his head, or at least slitting his throat, and hurrying him on his way.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 AM

Thumbs up Good post Cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
. . . The true trophy IMO is the time it took to get the critter and the experience involved. Here is Fred Bear's last interview, and this man speaks volumes in the last question asked of him . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhAu11hUsU
X2 ... that ^ couldn't have been said better! And that goes for hunting with guns too.

TF
Old 11-07-2010, 12:30 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
You would have done him a bigger favour by putting another bullet in his head, or at least slitting his throat, and hurrying him on his way.
ya , i agree. this is something your hunting to eat. your not putting your dog down. unless im planning on keeping the cape i would have slit the throat. makes less mess on my garage floor too. but i actually find this disturbing. its your responsiblity as a hunter to ensure a clean kill. your not doing this. you may want to take a look at where and why you`re failing and address this. you owe it to the animal you`re TRYING to kill.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:41 PM

This is just down right creepy... Not to mention dangerous. Petting a dying buck

Next time take put him out.

A bunch of handshakes, high fives and beers back at the shop.

Quote:
Take it easy....Most cultures have a way of giving thanks, may depend on your background or just what feels right.

Even if you dont any ritual etc and just say, hey that was a fantastic animal or I am grateful for my venison dinner, or my first ever wall mount...thats plenty!

I think the poster is curious...everyone has a different way of appreciating the animal we hunt..unlike store bought beef, we got to know it, take it down and enjoy the feast.

My very first kill, as he lay dying, I stroked his jaw and told him it wouldnt be long until peace. I gave my thanks to the universe for providing. I even gave thanks to the magpie for sitting above my last one so I could find it( even though all he wanted was a feast!)

For me, its a moment of awe...ok maybe I might leave something extra for nature....in my own way

I know some people just laugh at it and dont give a thought to what it means, but even if you dont believe, give yourself a moment to thank YOU. that you had an opportunity to experience something, whatever that may be. Dedication to the hunt, your family, the landowner...the animal.

its all good.
Jen
Old 11-07-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
This is just down right creepy... Not to mention dangerous. Petting a dying buck

Next time take put him out.

A bunch of handshakes, high fives and beers back at the shop.
IT WAS MY FIRST. It took him less than 10 seconds to die from the moment I stood over him and he wasnt conscious. We are talking death twitches. So you think thats creepy, fine. From the KILL shot to me walking over and admiring my first deer, took less than thirty seconds. I DO NOT LET ANIMALS SUFFER. Period. nothing I could have done would have sped it up.
What about bow kills where the buck takes a lot longer to die? gut shots? Sure you guys always drop them dead in less than 30 seconds.

Last time I share anything personal.

Last edited by bunnyhunter; 11-07-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Banned

Make sure it all gets eaten, thats about it. Agreed with the "harvest" rant, it sounds ridiculous and is usually a term found in yuppie hunting mags like Petersens or by rich suit dummies on canned hunts on Wild TV. You harvest crops,you catch fish and you kill game!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:12 PM

I keep the tradition alive and give the animal that was shot it's last bite. I sit beside the dead animal for few moments and pay homage. For sure this comes along with a Weindmann's Heil and schnapps. It is also a kind of tradition that we enjoy the liver fried with onions as the first meal from the shot animal. My grandpa taught me to keep this tradition alive and for sure I'll pass this on to my kids when they'll hunt in the far future.

Hunting is more than pulling the trigger it is a passion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08211rev.00.JPG (130.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 11-07-2010, 06:02 PM

There is something really neat about that. We all have something that we "feel" when we down an animal that we have made many efforts and put time into harvesting. As many have said on this site, we are "hunters" and those feeling are natural. They make me feel almost religious and I am agnostic.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 PM

I pay my respect by always looking to the sky and thanking the gods. i spend 5 to 10 minutes admiring the unique characteristics each individual crittr has.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:08 PM

I pay my respect to the animal by trying to take the best photos I can. A nice photo on the wall tell a great story. And of course by shooting 7mm rem mag
Old 11-08-2010, 01:41 PM

Default honor

I was taught years ago to pay respect for what you kill to eat. It started when my grandfather would butcher chickens,pigs turkeys etc. He always said something to the animal before it was killed, I don't know what he said and wouldn't tell me. I was told by him you should thank it in your own way. I thank the animal for feeding me and use all the meat possible. When I get home with it we always cheer the animal with a nice cold beer before I hang and skin it.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:20 PM

The guys I hunt with cut the tail off your shirt with your first buck. I have great respect for any and all animlas I hunt, there meat is shared and honored on my table with friends and family. The first animal and the last animla I have taken all have the same value to me. Cold gutting beers in the field, even if it is -30, and beer in the shop once the work is done. great thread, it is about respect and I feel most have it.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:25 PM

My tradition is a word of thanks and some moments of admiration. The best way for me to honor the animal is to make the most of it. Good field care and when I'm cooking game I try extra hard to make good of it.

I had a chance to close the deal on a mule deer this year from 15 yards with my trad bow. It was an epic stalk in a harvested canola field. I just never had a shot opportunity but it was a total rush to get that close. Opening day with the rifle season I had another chance to take him - this time with the 30-06 at 280 yards. I wasn't confident in the shot and I hesitated because I felt I was cheating at that distance. Getting my hands on him wasn't as important as how I went about doing it.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:20 PM

Just wanted to thank you all for this post. Has made me think about how lucky I am to be alive and in good health. Great topic and fantastic discussion. Thank You!
Old 11-21-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
IT WAS MY FIRST. It took him less than 10 seconds

Hey Bunnyhunter........I think we may know each other!!!!

tm
Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Banned

I was taught by my Father to always put a tuft of grass or a handful of twigs in a deer's mouth as a sign of respect for the animal. He said that it was offering them their last meal. Even when I shot a grouse he had me put a leaf in their bill. I still do it for the deer and moose that I take. We have a Scottish heritage so this might have started with a spruce balm away back when.