Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-20-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Congrats, on amazing trophy of a life time !!!

Since no one wants to take a stab at the score I'll be the first ........ 383 net
Mah 386 1/4 gross

Nets are for fisherman..
Old 09-20-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Mah 386 1/4 gross

Nets are for fisherman..
Old 09-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Wow!! Awesome Bull, Congrats!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:57 PM

That is a nice freakin bull elk. Congrats!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:42 PM

That's a great looking bull congrats.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:00 PM

Congrats!! that's a dandie.Yes it seems the border wmus around suffield are producing bulls that are worth the priority wait. We got a opening day bull down there and can appreciate how big off a job it is to deal with a big bull by yourself!!! Great Job.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:05 PM

Wow......... thinking solid 375 net
Old 09-20-2010, 03:12 PM

Wow, not much else to say, what a beautiful Bull! Once in a lifetime, can't wait to hear the story! Congrats!

Craig
Old 09-20-2010, 04:40 PM

Great bull. Must have been a tough job handling that big of a critter by yourself
Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 PM

Amazing. I can only wish. Congrats.

379".
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 PM

Gorgeous elk man!! I wish I was able to see an amazing elk like that, yet alone shoot one!! Just fantastic congrats man on both elk and child!!

Brett
Old 09-20-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Mah 386 1/4 gross

Nets are for fisherman..
Think you've been hanging around Wabasca too long
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 09-20-2010, 05:05 PM

Thumbs up Nice Bull

Thats a beauty. Conrads on your baby & your throphy. I am going to say 380 gross. Either way a throphy of a lifetime.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 PM

Gret looking animal and congratulations on the addition to the family. Well done handling that on your own.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

looks like he should gross real close to 390. awesome bull! congrats dude.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:40 PM

Heck of a nice bull, is that a special draw tag to use a shovel or did ya use a rifle. Im jealous.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:51 PM

A huge congrats!!! Great looking bull!!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Wow...what a STUD of an elk.....if I was to guess I would say he is most likely over 390" gross and could quite easily pass the 400" mark....after they start getting that big I'm not that good at guessing exact scores!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:22 PM

Holly bull elk Batman!congrats on the new baby and the great trophy! I'm gonna say 385 Gross!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:23 PM

I will take a stab at the score 380
Old 09-20-2010, 07:39 PM

That is a true monster bull, congrats!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:57 PM

what a pig if i had to guess i would say he will be in the 390 area.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Default Story

Ok heres the down low. Started out with driving / phoneing around getting permission a few weeks before opener. Never really found many elk off the base. Got down to where i wanted to camp / hunt 4 days before season. I had two weeks dedicated to this tag and really wanted to put some serious effort into finding a good bull. I new the potential of the area and set my sights on a 340" + bull. So the days prior to opener really got my hopes down as i could not find many elk off of the base and the hundreds of elk on the base i had been seeing were not really rutting hard as far as i could tell. I finally found 3 bulls 2 days before opener and figured that i would take the bigger of the 3 if they stayed put. ( big one i figured was around the 340" - 350" range) So opening morning im in my spot and of course no bulls. They basically vanished as they were a long way off the base. Now i'm really starting to second guess my decision to use my priority this year. Hunt all day the 8th and seen 1 bull off the base ( 300" ). Hunt the 9th till noon with no elk seen at all!!!! get a phone call at 1pm from my wife and she tells me that the docter is going to induce her as she is pregnant with our first child and its high risk! ( her due date was Oct 17 thats why i drew the tag figuring i had lots of time to hunt then get home and prepare for diaper changing )...... So she then tells me not to worry and that it would be at least 48 hours before anything happened and to stay and hunt another day> I get thinking about it and decide i had better get my ***** home just incase. I got to the hospital at 8pm and walk into the room and the doc is now informing my wife that a c-section must happen and fast!!! 10pm i am now a dad!..... So fast forward a week and half later and things are settling out with mom and baby, Shes at home baby is still in hospital, but doing well. So i still need to get back down to suffield and get the rest of my stuff collected that i didnt have time to pack and hunt one last day as work will now be needing me this would be my last chance.
Get down there a little after first light ( 3 hour drive ) and right off the bat find a pretty good bull and 10 cows. I chased that bull around for 4 hours got close a couple times but never close enough. I eventually lost them and was now pretty much ready to just go home and give up. I decided to head over to a sort of wallow i had found off the base that bulls had been coming to. On The way i spot my bull on the base about 1500yards in. Figured i had nothing to loose so i set up on a hill about 350 yards from the base fence. Started cow calling to beat h3ll and to my amassment the bull herd me ( extremely windy ) he stands up and heads staright to the fence. I figured there was now way he would jump as i had had a few other bulls to the fence before and they would not cross. He paced the fence back and forth for over 30mins bugling his head off and beating the h3ll out of the fence posts. I dame near sh!t when he finally jumped the fence and was headed towards me at a full run bugling the whole way. He was moving fast straight at me and i was getting worried about the wind and him seeing me as there is no cover what so ever and im in jeans and a hoodie laying prone .... So i let fly with him at 200yrds into his front shoulder basically straight on, he hit he ground, but got back up, one more to the same spot and it was good night Irene.
All in all it the last few weeks have been the best time of my life
- wifes b-day sept 8th ( opening day, still hearing about that haha )
- baby boy born sept 9th ( COOLEST THING EVER )
- Best hunting experience of all time sept 18th
- 1st wedding anniversary sept 19th ( which i spent in a Kenworth from 4am till 11pm ( Really hearing about that one!)

Old 09-20-2010, 10:59 PM

Congrats again on the Amazing bull. And a huge congrats on father hood. Great story thanx. Just give us a score were all dieing to know !!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:19 PM

Yes Sir thats a helluva bull, Thanks for taking the time to put up the pics and story...stuff like this is what makes AOF the best...Congrats on being a dad as well !!!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Heck of a nice bull, is that a special draw tag to use a shovel or did ya use a rifle. Im jealous.
HAHA not much for lumber laying around down there to use as a prop, so i improvised with a shovel. I was going to use a no trespassing sign from the base fence but thought that might not go over so well!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Congrats again on the Amazing bull. And a huge congrats on father hood. Great story thanx. Just give us a score were all dieing to know !!
still waiting on that score....I have to get to bed!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie pirate View Post
Congrats!! that's a dandie.Yes it seems the border wmus around suffield are producing bulls that are worth the priority wait. We got a opening day bull down there and can appreciate how big off a job it is to deal with a big bull by yourself!!! Great Job.
Yah i'll say. luckily i had quad ramps and a buddy made me a hand winch that fits into the rails of my fifth wheel hitch... with out that i would have had to make a fire and eat him there! Lets see some pictures of your bull!!! i was talking to the guy at the Jenner service station and he figured damn near all 15 bull tags got filled so far...... SO there must be a few more out there that we need to see also!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:03 AM

Great story Grizzler, that is just awesome!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Ok well i have only scored him 47 times! Like i said me and tape measures do not get along, but i think i'm close. As far as i and a couple others can tell he grosses 393 3/8".

Last edited by grizzler; 09-21-2010 at 07:12 AM.