Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-09-2010, 05:52 PM
waylow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
Saskatchewan is giving $20 a dog. Over population problem there. Dont even need to skin them. just take them in and you get $20.
Actually, it is not an over-population problem. The sheep ranchers in the south were getting sick and tired of yotes and went to Sask Ag and Food with their concern. Therefore a 20$ bounty was set-up by Sask AG and Food, not Sask Environment. The anti's would have been all over this if it was a program set-up by the CO's of the province, but since it is a food supply problem, they can't really do much. Plus, if the CO's were to set it up, there would be years of studies done to determine if indeed they are over-populated.
I'll be cutting the feet off of everyone I shoot. Geez, I love Saskatchewan!!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIsley View Post
The Alberta Wildlife Act only applies in Alberta...
The reason they only want the paws is so the the hide is still usable.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:22 PM

Haha this is one i want in on! I love hunting yotes! Problem or not im gonna go out and try my luck at shooting them. In my area of the woods they are a problem so i get out every chance i can. A wild bore farmer near me lost 80% of his piglets to yotes and farmers in the area have yotes lurking in the yard during calving season just waiting to sink there teeth in a helpless calf before it has even been completely pushed out. You guys that say we shouldnt shoot critters unless they are a problem, tell me you don't shoot rabbits, skunks, gophers ect!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:25 PM

Does anybody want yotes? I have 6 hanging in my barn rite now. year end pic will be sweet!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 PM

If anyone has a moose problem on there property let me know. haha
Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Banned

You want to bring down the coyote population???? well load up the 20ga and get out grouse and rabbit hunting...any one notice how the small game population is way up, as well as mice, and for some strange reason the coyote population is up? Dont get me wrong, coyote hunting is a good time. Also the lynx population is way up, in the past two years iv seen dozens of them....more cougars to...maybe i should have bought my tag before i went out to see if i could call one in...

to dark for a good picture, 80m away. Big kitty came into a cottintail call.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bigcat.jpg (24.4 KB, 161 views)
Old 01-13-2010, 10:34 PM

I have not noticed a over abundance of small game in my area of the wood! Infact i thought all the small game had declined around here and too the deer population has been decimated but i do know there is lots of coyotes! Somedays while i was out hunting deer i would see more yotes than deer! And only found one roughy this year to lay the iron sights on!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Banned

Default PM Sent

Hey Rigby I PM'd ya.

Dave
Old 01-13-2010, 10:47 PM

Default how do you hear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
I call bull****, I live in Edm and I have family that farms in the Fort Sask area as well as out by Irma and I haven't heard of any great issues with them. Unless you area is different......... I really don't have an issue with hunting/shooting them if they are a problem animal, but to just shoot every one you see or so you can enjoy watching it flop around in the field goes against what I feel the job of us hunters is, and that is to assist in the management of the native wildlife. People like that probably set their cats tail on fire for fun too.
Are you talking to the deer? What do they say about coyotes...

Ever seen coyotes pull down a deer and start eating it while its alive?

Pretty little coyotes...
Old 01-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
I have not noticed a over abundance of small game in my area of the wood! Infact i thought all the small game had declined around here and too the deer population has been decimated but i do know there is lots of coyotes! Somedays while i was out hunting deer i would see more yotes than deer! And only found one roughy this year to lay the iron sights on!
where you at? I am a Forestry tech and i spend everyday in the field...like walking 5-20km through the bush. i work from grande prairie to drayton valley and north, true the grouse population is starting to decline again..booo. And dont get me wrong i love coyote hunting and i know they are at a high in the population area...i want to poison them personally...at least on a 1/2 section i hunt. They kill about 6 deer a year on that piece. But they do nothing compared to the wolves in the foothills and river valleys by the rockies.

So shoot the coyotes while the population is there..but do it legally, even though 3/4 of F&W dont know the laws.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 AM

Default Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman99 View Post
Are you talking to the deer? What do they say about coyotes...

Ever seen coyotes pull down a deer and start eating it while its alive?

Pretty little coyotes...
Wolves do it, cougars do, as a matter of fact all carnivores do unless they are strictly carrion eaters......but that is nature doing what nature does.......if ya don't like it stay out of the bush, or don't click that youtube link....... but don't use it to justify the senseless slaughter of a particular species. They have their place in the circle of life just as the cute widdow deer and bunnies do............
Old 01-14-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
just as the cute widdow deer and bunnies do............
I'm guessing here but I think you and ol' Walt must be related. You both think animals are the same as humans. If'n you think of does as widows you have a very serious problem and should maybe go in for a check up on life.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Another problem with Wile E. during high population is the spread of sarcoptic mange. My cousin had to treat his fence posts when the coyotes were wandering around his calving barn spreading the mange which humans can also catch.
In addition to mange which can be treated, a parasite called Echinococcus mutilocularis forms cysts on coyote livers, and can be on passed to domestic dogs as well as humans. This parasite can actually kill people. I know of a documented death of a trapper north east of St. Alberta that died from the multilocularis parasite. So be careful when you skin those sxxx dogs.
They not only look good rolling in the pasture when you shoot them, they look good flying over the pasture when shoot them with a .338
Old 01-14-2010, 01:10 PM

Had family witness a deer run into their farmyard with it's guts ripped open. All kinda nastiness I won't get into. There was 3 yotes fresh on her trail but wouldn't come right into the yard to finish it off. The deer was put out of her misery, and he left it on the edge of the yard. Got 8 yotes from the deck over the next couple days.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:45 PM

Default ??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
I'm guessing here but I think you and ol' Walt must be related. You both think animals are the same as humans. If'n you think of does as widows you have a very serious problem and should maybe go in for a check up on life.
Here maybe I can make this a little more grade school for you....say little in a voice as if you were talking to a baby......sounds like widdow doesn't it........did the jet take some hair off when it went over your head???

FYI I do know how to spell Widow, ie; woman who's husband is deceased.

Last edited by Dakota369; 01-14-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Here maybe I can make this a little more grade school for you....say little in a voice as if you were talking to a baby......sounds like widdow doesn't it........did the jet take some hair off when it went over your head???

FYI I do know how to spell Widow, ie; woman who's husband is deceased.
Then why didn't you just say LITTLE?
Old 01-14-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
where you at? I am a Forestry tech and i spend everyday in the field...like walking 5-20km through the bush. i work from grande prairie to drayton valley and north, true the grouse population is starting to decline again..booo. And dont get me wrong i love coyote hunting and i know they are at a high in the population area...i want to poison them personally...at least on a 1/2 section i hunt. They kill about 6 deer a year on that piece. But they do nothing compared to the wolves in the foothills and river valleys by the rockies.

So shoot the coyotes while the population is there..but do it legally, even though 3/4 of F&W dont know the laws.
I am east of Fort Saskatchewan. I know this area darn near like the back of my hand. I grew up here all my life and know most of the people in the area. I know where to find the rabbits when they are in abundance and where i find grouse every year. but in the past couple years the numbers have been down. I would love to be able to go down to the foothills and kill some wolves but yet when i go out hunting wolves i still manage to kill yotes. I would be more than happy to help out with the wolf population. let me know where you see all this wolf sign cause i would set asside more of my time for wolves if i knew i had a good chance at killing one!
Old 04-04-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi3006 View Post
Thats why i do it!
x2:
Old 04-06-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post
Gimme a break........hunting is a sport, not a job. With low pelt prices, coyote populations explode and small game and bird populations suffer. My in-laws have lost all their cats already this winter, brother in law a couple of calves last spring. God I love those politically correct city guys.........

If you're worried about coyote populations, don't. In my area in the last 40 years they've been ski-dooed, poisoned, hunted with dogs and shot at every opportunity. Too bad other species couldn't adapt like the coyote, maybe we'd still have some pheasants.

Craig
Wow now running an animal down with a snow machine is SPORTING, I personally find it DISTURBING, Shoot them all you want, but the previous method is , well??
Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 PM

Hey Dakota, the landowner that lets me on his land asks us to take his coyotes because they have been taking his premature calves and he hates the little buggers... That sounds like a goood enough reason to dust em and leave em.

Another Question.... Do you skin the gophers u shoot? do you eat the meat? No you just shoot them cuz they are deemed pests and fun to shoot. Are you really out there trying to stop them from digging holes? cuz there are a ton of other methods that are far less violent and less fun and kill more gophers so if u shoot them, your a hypocrite.

We aren't shootin hawks, eagles, ravens or other non legal species, we are shooting vermin, pests and millions at least every year so no worries about the species going under.... However the more yotes there are, the less foxes there are.... and i like foxes alot better, and that good enough reason for me. But if its your land, do what you want. Probably not best to preach PETA type messages on a hunting board though.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:06 PM

as for the OP ya prices aren't worth the pelts anymore and as far as i know the deadline for sask hunters to collect the $20 bounty per 4 paws expired march 31/2010.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:15 PM

Dakota highjacked this thread. This thread should be about where to sell pelts or maybe advice about what to do with them. The thread title is COYOTE PELTS $$$$???? thats what I expect to read about. You wont stop anyone from killing coyotes by voicing that opinion on here. Try joining PETA.

-Everyone makes fun of a Redneck until their car breaks down.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Banned

I can send you a video of coyotes eating a deer 10 meters from my front door if you like. I came home from work one afternoon and found a deer with it's intestines hanging out. I went into the house and called the better half then looked out the front door just in time to see 5 coyotes pulling at the flesh of this animal. I grabbed the camera and set it on video and proceeded to get some amaizing shots. I called wildlife and they came and removed the carcasse. The officer looked the situation over and we discovered that the coyotes had chased the deer from a neighboring field, over to our place and as the deer crossed our driveway, it slipped, lost it's footing and went down giving the coyotes the break needed to jump on and kill it. I don't want them around our property period! I kill them on sight!!!
Sorry for also responding to Dakota's rant on the wrong thread.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 AM

crazy story trooper, anyway i could get you to email me those pics/video of that wild scene? crazy_fool1@hotmail.com
Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 AM

just wondering how loud them thar city slickers and media is gonna squack when some coyote decides he wants to eat some ones fluffy foofoo when its on a leash and they takeing sweet fluffy for a strole in the park along the river, or one decides little johny might be a good snack, bet they all start giveing off huge crockadile tears and squack real loud, just like all the bunny huggers in vancouver, and california do
Old 04-27-2010, 07:23 PM

Default Coyotes in the city

Forget the outskirts of Edmonton, I live in the West End and about a month ago I saw a Coyote in the field behind a school! And this wasn't on the outskirts of town
Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 PM

It would be nice if there were some place to drop off these dead animals if someone wanted pelts but I haven't read any posts on here suggesting that.

Three pages into this thread and bird food still seems to be the best way to dispose of them.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Banned

I tried to attach some pix of coyotes eating a deer in my front yard, but the pix wouldn't load. I sent them to crazy_fool1 maybe he knows how to load them onto this site. How 'bout it crazy_fool?

If anyone wants these pix, email me and I'll send them to you. Just do me a favor and post them here for everyone? armouredtrooper@hotmail.com

Last edited by trooper; 04-28-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 PM

can do man, try to upload the video to youtube or huntingvideos.com

Old 04-29-2010, 05:43 AM
Banned

Those coyotes were real skittish if they saw me, they'd be gone
I had to just peek the camera around the corner from inside the house window to take these shots. I counted 5 in total. Prior to this, my stepdaughter didn't like any shooting on our property. when I showed her these pix and the video, she said "You can shoot all of them now" she was 15 at that time.