Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 AM

Default Coyote Pelts $$$$?????

Is there any money to be made from Coyote pelts here in Alberta? If so, who buys them and what's involved?

.257WBYShooter.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:01 AM

Trapper forum may be better but it sounds like prices are really low on pelts this year.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:48 AM

Now don't quote me but I heard the pelts are way down onlt $5 or $10 bucks
Old 01-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha 1 View Post
Now don't quote me but I heard the pelts are way down onlt $5 or $10 bucks
Not worth skinning and dealing with bugs and.....still love shooting them!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 PM

They still look good rolling in the field after the shot.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:21 PM

Saskatchewan is giving $20 a dog. Over population problem there. Dont even need to skin them. just take them in and you get $20.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
Saskatchewan is giving $20 a dog. Over population problem there. Dont even need to skin them. just take them in and you get $20.

All they really need is four paws.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hell yeah they do!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:32 PM

Default Wrong

Quote:
If they are not to be used then why shoot them? Just for your own sick pleasure of killing something?
Old 01-08-2010, 03:45 PM

in my area coyote predation is the big issue, there killing calves , deer and especially sheep.so yes the pelts are being wasted due to the little money that you might get if you went through the motion of skinning and stretching etc.So the sport of hunting them is a great off season past time..
Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Default Hmmmmm

I call bull****, I live in Edm and I have family that farms in the Fort Sask area as well as out by Irma and I haven't heard of any great issues with them. Unless you area is different......... I really don't have an issue with hunting/shooting them if they are a problem animal, but to just shoot every one you see or so you can enjoy watching it flop around in the field goes against what I feel the job of us hunters is, and that is to assist in the management of the native wildlife. People like that probably set their cats tail on fire for fun too.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:57 PM

Wait, wait, here it comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
I call bull****, I live in Edm and I have family that farms in the Fort Sask area as well as out by Irma and I haven't heard of any great issues with them. Unless you area is different......... I really don't have an issue with hunting/shooting them if they are a problem animal, but to just shoot every one you see or so you can enjoy watching it flop around in the field goes against what I feel the job of us hunters is, and that is to assist in the management of the native wildlife. People like that probably set their cats tail on fire for fun too.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Can anybody out there help me find my cat? The last time I saw him he was running like crazy and sounding like a dog! Must of been the sound of his tail lighting on fire! WOOF!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
If they are not to be used then why shoot them? Just for your own sick pleasure of killing something?
Pretty easy to say when you dont have to worry about your livestock being picked off. When there are too many they get desperate and start going after calves. Sitting around the heard just waiting for a cow to calve so they can pick it off. So if you consider me shooting them and leaving them as my own sick pleasure then so be it. Maybe i can have them ground up and send you the meat it you have a use.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Just remember folks, that everybody is entitled to their own opinion
Old 01-08-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Thats why i do it!
Old 01-08-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Nothing I like more than someone who doesn't have the problem because of where he lives calling BS on others that may live where there is a problem. I notice a lot of posts by our city dwelling cousins talking about how landowners should manage their problems. Most of these posts do nothing more than upset the very people who the city dwellers depend on for private land hunting and I just don't understand why you'd want to do that.
Trust me on this one Dakota369 coyotes can and do pose a threat to livestock. Even in your own backyard[city] you'll find coyotes are killing and eating city type livestock[pets].
Old 01-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Exactly pitw. Agree 100%
Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Nothing I like more than someone who doesn't have the problem because of where he lives calling BS on others that may live where there is a problem. I notice a lot of posts by our city dwelling cousins talking about how landowners should manage their problems. Most of these posts do nothing more than upset the very people who the city dwellers depend on for private land hunting and I just don't understand why you'd want to do that.
Trust me on this one Dakota369 coyotes can and do pose a threat to livestock. Even in your own backyard[city] you'll find coyotes are killing and eating city type livestock[pets].
arnt we the pests?, I mean the coyotes were here first?
Just kidding I love shooting them to (for the pelts)
Old 01-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Last week a deer was taken about 40 yds from my bedroom window. Due to snow times, I estimate that 4 to 6 hours after the snow fell, I found the remains. All sign was above the fresh snow. There was a spine left... Yes, this was the kill site, not a dragged piece.

They coyotes are hungry, very close to Edmonton.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
well i definitely knew this was coming... last year we lost ten calves to coyotes, my neighbor lost 65 sheep, and i found close to a dozen coyote killed deer shed hunting.. so i think that qualifies a problem animal. my sheep farming neighbor shot 60 coyotes in and around his pastures and still had that much of a herd loss..So needless to say none of us mind to see the pelts go to waste or to kill them and watch them flop around.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Iron Brew!
I think you just found my cat!!!!
Was the tail burnt and crispy?????

Old 01-08-2010, 05:05 PM

I'm actually just getting in from trying to 'manage' a few. The landowner greatly appreciates our often futile efforts and yotes are the reason for the permission in the first place.

After 2 sets with the FX3 in a bit of a gale I got entirely distracted by the abundant bunny tracks and shifted focus.

Dakota, very ignorant post on your part I'm sorry to say. If you're gonna 'hug a tree', I wouldn't recommend this one.

Tree
Old 01-08-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
arnt we the pests?, I mean the coyotes were here first?
Just kidding I love shooting them to (for the pelts)
Pelts? You making a coat? In my opinion shooting coyotes in Alberta is the adult equivalent to swatting mosquitos before they bite. The mosquito wasn't hurting me - but someday it will breed and one of its descendants will bite me. Nip it in the bud right now. We (who eat meat) have accepted our role at the top of the food chain and have chosen to live in Alberta where we farm animals. A coyote population does not destroy that possibility but an excessive population is not a good thing in a farming community.

Plus - it's good practice for deer hunting to hunt something smaller.

cutthroat
Old 01-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

Default Shooting Coyotes

I was brought up to never shoot anything that you weren't going to eat but we didn't have a coyote problem. That being said, I was up in Cold Lake hunting this Fall and there is a real problem with the yote population there. The population seemed to have exploded for whatever reason and coincidentally there were fewer deer and grouse. Needless to say, everyone in the area, myself included, shot every coyote that we saw and I plan on going back within the next 2 weeks specifically to go coyote hunting.

I don't have any problem whatsoever with shooting coyotes and leaving the carcass in the bush because there is a need for it in places now and it serves a purpose.

What I do have a problem with is people that head out with guns just to shoot animals for the sake of killing. It kind of reminds me of those idiots I saw on the news this summer that taped themselves shooting ducks with 22's.

Maybe a little less excitement about shooting a coyote would ruffle fewer feathers and help to not portray hunters as a bunch of yahoos.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Gimme a break........hunting is a sport, not a job. With low pelt prices, coyote populations explode and small game and bird populations suffer. My in-laws have lost all their cats already this winter, brother in law a couple of calves last spring. God I love those politically correct city guys.........

If you're worried about coyote populations, don't. In my area in the last 40 years they've been ski-dooed, poisoned, hunted with dogs and shot at every opportunity. Too bad other species couldn't adapt like the coyote, maybe we'd still have some pheasants.

Craig
Old 01-08-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroat666 View Post
Pelts? You making a coat? In my opinion shooting coyotes in Alberta is the adult equivalent to swatting mosquitos before they bite. The mosquito wasn't hurting me - but someday it will breed and one of its descendants will bite me. Nip it in the bud right now. We (who eat meat) have accepted our role at the top of the food chain and have chosen to live in Alberta where we farm animals. A coyote population does not destroy that possibility but an excessive population is not a good thing in a farming community.

Plus - it's good practice for deer hunting to hunt something smaller.

cutthroat
you have a thread in the guns and ammo fourm asking for advise on building a new yote rig cause its time for a new one
Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
you have a thread in the guns and ammo fourm asking for advise on building a new yote rig cause its time for a new one
So? Why is that so funny?

Tree
Old 01-08-2010, 06:22 PM

Default It's because I can !

It’s because I have opposable thumbs and walk upright…………. If coyotes could do the same then they would be hunting us ! and until that date ……..it’s what we do !
Old 01-08-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
So? Why is that so funny?

Tree
im sorry he seems so set against shooting yotes yet he is building a new yote rig.