Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 10:27 PM

Smile Our First Bull- Opener Sept 17

For those who don't like reading long winded write ups: We hunted elk for the first time ever in rut and bagged this guy (see below) on opening morning before we even had a chance to settle into a blind.... Thanks for viewing

For the others who enjoy the details, here goes:
Hugenuge (Paul) and I decided to hunt the Elk rut this year for the first time. I've hunted and patterned these ghosts for the previous four years, tagging out only on a mid November cow 2 years ago. With many sightings sprinkled into those years, knowledge was increasing, as was my anticipation to harvest a bull out of the area. Heading into this year my elk batting average was just above the Mendoza line at .250 or 25% for those who don't like baseball.
The title states this is OUR bull. I was just the bloke that got to squeeze the trigger. Paul unselfishly conceded that privilege when this bull showed himself after serenading us with his last ever bugle at 106 yards. I'll get there.......
We headed up to northern AB for three days archery and to catch the rifle opener lest we didn't connect via Sharpstick. As mentioned, I started hunting elk 4 years prior to this season so had a pretty good idea of pattern and strategy (I've hunted deer up there for the last 6-7 years).
We arrived late Wed PM and immediately Thurs am met with the landowners to get the edge on the loose pattern the elk followed. I've gone to great lengths over the years to establish relationships with these people. I now call them my friends. Just an aside thought for those wanting to gain private land permission- trust is built sitting for hours at kitchen tables and taking a genuine interest in the people that give us this incredible PRIVILEGE of hunting on their land. They are only assuming liability for damage to their property and livelihoods by allowing access. There really is no benefits to them whatsoever. To all the unselfish landowners that open their gates to hunters- I salute you.
Permission secured and intel briefing attended, we checked the previously placed trail cams to again put more pieces of the elk puzzle together. They can travel like crazy from day to day and every scrap of info is carefully considered while pouring over maps to hash out a plan. We narrowed it down to a couple travel corridors between food and bed and proceeded to hunt them hard for the 3 archery days we had. Paul, who had worked night shift by himself earlier in the year, had ample opportunity to serenade the office cleaning staff to some love sick Bull elk and their feminine chirping counterparts. That practice time paid off. He had his first ever wild elk responses and we came very close to sealing the deal on our first night via Maxima Red 250 grain arrows tipped with mechanical of his choice. It wasn't to be. The bull hung up on a portion we had no permission on. Shucks!
Encouraged by opening night action, we had a steep learning curve. We fought hard for the next two days to close the gap but the herd must have read our playbook and didn't cooperate. Enter opening rifle morning....
This trip also marked the first ever year a certain rancher allowed us permission. We again had a wonderful kitchen sit down with him and his family, watched his son ride a bull on a Facebook live feed, and picked his brain. He gave us the last piece we needed. Fresh intel in the memory banks and more pouring over maps, we pegged a spot that just made too much sense.
If given the choice, we figured the pre dawn darkness is absolutely the cats meow when it comes to locating bull elk. They readily scream out their locations and a guy can really narrow it down when that occurs. Opening rifle morning (Sunday) was no exception. Our best laid plans were solidified by an answering bull off Paul's awesome bugling. We knew we were on the right track. We arrived to the gate, ditched the truck and slung our rifles- or wait, I didn't have a stinking sling on me! My bipod and sling were in my closet, 450 km's away! I felt somewhat naked as I love my extendable bipods. Thankfully Paul had brought his trigger sticks as this open country with tall grass was going to be hard to achieve a proper rest. We walked excitedly into our spot only to be greeted by two guns shots- the first of which was 21 mins before legal light. The second one ten mins before. We later found out that guy missed his elk. It was frustrating walking into a stand after hearing those shots, not knowing if it would scatter the herd around. Undaunted, we hiked in and were greeted by a bull bugling on our north at around 200 yards, and one to our south about a half mile away- game on! We knew that north bull would be heading our direction and quickly discussed where to sit and wait for him. Paul let out a bugle of his own and immediately we were challenged by a bull somewhere close to our west (in front of us) and not far away. We scooted across the 30 yard wide cutline and I caught him standing there, proud as can be, staring in our direction. I nudged Paul- there he is! Right beside that bale! Paul glassed him and confirmed. That's when my hunting partner did an incredibly noble act- although never having shot an elk of any kind, he gave me the honor of taking it. It was a moment I'll never forget. I jumped at it, humbled by his unselfishness as he outlined his plan, "I will go left, when I drop the trigger sticks, rest your gun and take him." We executed those orders and celebrated like school girls when he finally went down some 80-100 yards onto a neighboring property. Permission granted to retrieve, (we met another awesome landowner in the process), we quadded into OUR prize- a beautiful 6x6 first elk.
To some he will be a raghorn. To others the trophy of a lifetime. Myself, I am just very happy to have my first one down. he will be beatable down the line but a great first bull. We couldn't be happier. Thanks to a great partner, Paul who I will be sharing the meat with when we butcher on Saturday. I know that was difficult for you to concede this bull. You have first dibs next year when we hunt again this magical time called rut.
A side note, Nuge came super close that same night with 3 cows popping out but no bull when legal light wiped out the rest of our elk season. Our knowledge of hunting these noble creatures increased about ten fold this trip although we have only scratched the surface.
Congrats to all the other folks who have folded tags on some great elk this fall. There's been some dandy's for sure. If you haven't yet tagged one, Godspeed for the rest of the season. Stay persistent and have fun!
Tyler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2871.jpg (90.4 KB, 1856 views)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:31 PM

Haven't replaced photo bucket yet:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2860.jpg (118.3 KB, 1038 views)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:32 PM

Nuge:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2879.jpg (93.4 KB, 686 views)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:35 PM

Congratulations on a great bull! That will be some great eating!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:42 PM

RIGHT ON BUDDY!!! I know how hard you worked over the last few years to get a bull, this was very well deserved and once again congratulations!! :s Ha_shakeshout:
Old 09-18-2017, 10:48 PM
Banned

Just as exciting as when you first texted me Tyler. Congrats to you and congrats to Nuge. Sounds like the kind of team effort where either of you could have pulled the trigger.
Celebrated like school girls!! love it. Bet it wasn.t schoolgirls loading that beast up onto truck. Thanks for the great story and pics.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 PM

Congratulations on a nice bull.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:32 PM

Sounds like a hunting team was formed! I'm a believer of the "our" success stories. Everyone had their part to play in your scenario and bull down was the result. Well done to you both and enjoy your tenderloin!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:12 AM

congrats Tyler and Nuge.

TBark. down under
Old 09-19-2017, 05:15 AM
Banned

Congrats!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Awesome

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2017, 09:04 AM

Congrats to you both, that is what it is all about. You guys obviously put in your time and did your homework. Its guys like you that give us hunters a good name with landowners. Great job.

Cheers,

SS
Old 09-19-2017, 02:27 PM

Default what a trip

Great write up Tyler!

Just want to start by saying it was an easy choice to pass the shooting sticks to Tyler as he fully deserves it. I was honored to be up there hunting with Tyler in HIS spots. He's the one that has done the work building relationships and pattern these elk over the past 4 years and there is no way id get in the way of his opportunity. Tyler trusted me with his elk spots because i have trusted him with my bear/moose spots and we have build a great relationship that all started on this forum when i was searching out bear bait and he has mass amounts of dog food haha. Who would have known it would turn into a great partnership!

A little bit more detail to the morning we will never forget. we woke up earlier than usual because our plan was to Bugle and locate. where we were staying we could step out of the trailer bugle and get a response from one of many different areas they could be feeding. First spot we went was an oat field we knew they were frequenting gave a bugle and to our surprise we got a response to the west about a mile and half. We quickly made our way west and gave another bugle. now the response was to the south which was perfect because we had one pinch point in particular further south that we knew they came from the north to and we had hoped to set up there before day break.

We bolted down south unloaded the quad and thats when the game changed. We were about to load up onto the quad with rifles in hand when Tyler remembers thats not legal in this area before noon so deciding to do the right thing we abandoned the quad and walked in. (Something I have come to learn about Tyler and enjoy very much because I am the same way, Tyler always follows the rules of the bush even when it might be hard.) this was a game changer because had we took the quad we would not have heard what was about to happen.... as we walked in we gave another bugle and sure enough the bull was north of us which meant we were just in time.

As we approached our spot we were trying to figure out where to set up and wait when all the sudden another bulge literally 200 yards from us went ringing out!! Oh man this is going to happen right now haha no time to set up anything. We quickly dropped our bags got the rifle and sticks ready and the rest is history as you read in Tyler's details.

Thank you so much Ty for bringing me along and introducing me to such a great area and great people who i know will be out friends for years to come. Can't wait for next year!
Old 09-19-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Sounds like a hunting team was formed! I'm a believer of the "our" success stories. Everyone had their part to play in your scenario and bull down was the result. Well done to you both and enjoy your tenderloin!
Thanks. It really was that kind of trip. Don't know how I ever missed elk rut all these years. Man!
Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 PM

Great post! Thanks for sharing. Helps me get motivated for our little elk trip we just put together and leave tomorrow. 2 inexperienced elk hunters going to explore new country and hopefully get on some elk.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 09-19-2017, 07:19 PM

Congrats to you guys, a very nice bull right there!
Old 09-24-2017, 11:04 PM

Great write up. Congratulations to you both on your success. That's a well deserved elk.
I enjoy my quiet sits in a treestand, but my best memories start with "we".
Great job boys.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:50 AM

Of course, you would connect on a bull the year after I leave... Great story, great bull, good times.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
Of course, you would connect on a bull the year after I leave... Great story, great bull, good times.
That's what you get for moving! Hahaha
Thanks Jon
Old 09-25-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Great write up. Congratulations to you both on your success. That's a well deserved elk.
I enjoy my quiet sits in a treestand, but my best memories start with "we".
Great job boys.
Basically how I hunt too unless with the young men who need to be in arms reach. Nothing like a frosty morning hike into the stand before daybreak. Craving the north again. Attention turning to whitetails now!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:45 PM
Banned

Default Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the story, congrats.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:37 PM

Great read, and awesome bull! Congrats!
Old 10-07-2017, 12:23 AM

Congrats! Enjoyed the write up. Part of what made me do my write up!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Lublinkhof View Post
Congrats! Enjoyed the write up. Part of what made me do my write up!
Awesome! Keep it up. I enjoy the long winded ones