Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-17-2017, 10:35 PM

Default Epic Elk Hunt

My pre season started off with bow problems. Nothing huge but some tuning issues as I'm not all that experienced in bow tuning. Learning a lot as I go. A quick trip to Jimbows sorted me out though. Fast forward to the night before our journey began and a foot injury occurs. There I am in the hospital getting six stitches in my foot. Not a place you want injured when you know most of your hunt will be on foot. Long story short thee days of hobbling around and lots of Advil I was doing ok.

We were to hunt from the 2nd til the 16th of September. This land we hunt we've only hunted one year prior and we put over 100 km on our boots. Last year learning the land and looking for elk. Lots of elk around but they are ghosts. This year was different. The day we got there, bugles everywhere. Elk everywhere. 4 of us trekking through the woods had many many run ins with old animals from moose to bears to elk and grouse. Something I've never experienced. Lots of lessons learned. I stumbled across bull moose which I had tags for. Some range misjudging had me missing my target and losing an arrow or two. Lesson there is to make sure to have an accurate range while bow hunting. He was a lucky moose as my hunting partner missed on him couple nights prior.

Bumped into bedded elk, had cow elk come to calls mewing back at me but too smart to show themselves. My greatest experience was having a big bull elk perfect broadside to me at 80 yards. I could see his breath as he breathed the crisp air. Staring at me as I'm motionless in a culvert. Almost had a shot at him. The biggest bull I've ever seen that close if it weren't for the winds.

I finally connected on a bull moose. First bull moose archery kill for me as I've stated in my previous thread. Was a perfect stalk and kill. From shot to drop was only 20 yards thanks to my Grim Reapers on my FMJ's complete pass through on a frontal shot as he was coming for a fight. Things I've only seen on YouTube were now a reality for me.

Months of planning and reading and learning are now at an end until next year. At least for my archery hunts. I plan on trying for whitetail with my bow this year but nothing will compare to what I've experienced on this archery elk hunt. Another year I will have to wait. With what I've learned this year I have high hopes on connecting with my elk next year. New grounds learned and new permissions gained.

Tonight me and my family feasted upon some tender moose back straps which was split between myself and my 3 other hunting partners as I was only one who connected. The meat was delicious and I know that three other families will be eating good for awhile due to my luck and fortunate harvest.

I've only been hunting a short while. 6 years but am extremely greatful I started and will continue this tradition and pass down to my daughters if they so choose
Old 09-17-2017, 11:08 PM

Good for you, sounds like a exciting hunting trip. Congrats
Old 09-18-2017, 02:44 AM

Awesome stuff! Make sure to post pics if you can
Old 09-18-2017, 11:19 AM

Nice! Enjoyed reading that. Congrats on your moose!