Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-16-2017, 03:08 PM

Default Viszla group in Alberta.

Hey guys thinking forward and leaning towards a viszla as a hunting dog due to wife allergies and such. And I'm wondering if there is an owners group in Alberta like they have for gsps and such. Mostly just want a chance to go see them. Maybe have wife handle them a little and see if they bother her allergies. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2017, 10:21 PM

They're not hypoallergenic or anything even remotely close if that's what you're hoping. I've got a V and and he's affected anyone w dog allergies as much as the next breed.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:34 AM

If you're looking for hypoallergenic I'd consider a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon...

Excellent gun dogs by all accounts
Old 09-18-2017, 09:18 AM

Over the years I was able to narrow down that I was most allergic to more oily dogs Labs, goldens and alike. During our research we ended up doing a sniff test, we found a dog of a breed we liked and we went over and I did things like pet the dog then rub my eye to try and trigger a response . He still gets me during the twice a year coat turnover but over all I am fine with him.

But I would say do some testing.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:00 AM

Hey, I have a viszla and would have loved to be able to spend some time with one before I ordered from across the country; so you're welcome to see ours.

I'm more then happy with mine and the breed is great. haven't had him out hunting yet, that'll happen this fall.
PM me if you'd like to see him

BTW I haven't heard of a Vizsla club around here
Old 09-19-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_pass88 View Post
Hey, I have a viszla and would have loved to be able to spend some time with one before I ordered from across the country; so you're welcome to see ours.

I'm more then happy with mine and the breed is great. haven't had him out hunting yet, that'll happen this fall.

PM me if you'd like to see him

BTW I haven't heard of a Vizsla club around here

Thanks so much. You in Calgary?

Old 09-19-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Over the years I was able to narrow down that I was most allergic to more oily dogs Labs, goldens and alike. During our research we ended up doing a sniff test, we found a dog of a breed we liked and we went over and I did things like pet the dog then rub my eye to try and trigger a response . He still gets me during the twice a year coat turnover but over all I am fine with him.

But I would say do some testing.

Thanks a lot. What did you end up with?

Old 09-19-2017, 01:19 PM

Hi,

Relatively new Vizsla owner here. Our boy Remy just turned 19 months old. Amazing in the field but they can be a handful unless you keep them permanently exhausted (mentally & physically). Awesome dogs but make sure you know what you are getting into, as they are about as energetic a breed as you can find.

They are extremely friendly, social "people" dogs. Expect a 50+ pound lap dog around the house. The "Velcro Vizsla" nickname is not a joke.

Don't know of any Vizsla clubs around, but there are a few NAVHDA clubs in southern Alberta.