Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Agreed. As for people saying they are higher priced, Ill only buy stuff on sale or from online bargain cave.
I can't remember buying anything at Cabelas that was not on sale. And with their largest competitor gone, they have even less incentive to offer sales. Reducing competition, is not going to be good for the consumer.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:12 AM
Banned

For those who are saying good riddance, think about this,

First Bass Pro bought out Cabelas, now Wholesale is closing down, there is no longer any competition. Cabelas would have to price match every matching item from a competitors store, now there is no competition. That rifle that was on sale at Wholesale for 20% off that Cabelas had to price match..... no more. Bass Pro Shop is setting the prices so pay it or don't buy it, no need to shop around!
Old 09-15-2017, 07:46 AM
Banned

I get the feeling that people are saturated with hunting gear and guns these days. However the high end stuff continues to have a niche, whether its gear or guns. Mail order out of the USA is going to hurt the Canadian retailer even more now again with the dollar strengthening.
Too bad, I liked the store and their occasional deals.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:47 AM

Sorry to see the stores closing and people losing their jobs. As with anything in life there was good and bad about the shopping experience there but I found more good than bad myself. North side store was so convenient for myself especially when I was in the city for meetings as it was on my way out and easy to access. I found their prices reasonable and competitive.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:51 AM

Ya I know what you are saying. WSS closing is NOT a good thing. But by looking at this thread I can see that the way it had been run for years (even preUFA) has left a bad taste in everyone's mouth that has not washed away even after years and years. It really was that bad back then.

It's to bad really. I did see the customer service (or basic politeness) come around in a huge way after Cabelas came to town. Last gun I bought at the Edmonton north store the guy gave me 100 bucks off for no reason was a really nice guy all round and shook my hand before I walked out the store.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:56 AM

Not sure which Wholesale you guys shopped at but I used to try sneaking by the front door before someone greeted me at the South Side Edmonton and it was really hard to get by without someone saying "Good Morning" or "Welcome". There always seems to be more employees than customers, and I would always have at least 2-3 employees approach and ask if they could help. Likely due to the ratio of employee to customer. So employee to customer contact was good, then after that it all depended who you got...just like any retail experince.

I hate seeing places shut down, even the places I dislike will have something I NEED at some point. There is variety between the different retailers. WSS will be missed...just wait next fall when guys who buy tags in person need to adapt to the change, and don't. There will be a ton of whine threads about "now that WSS is gone how do I get tags?" Love them or hate them WSS has been a Western Canadian staple for many years....it's like the Heinz Kethup of sports stores. You don't need it all the time but when you want some nothing else will do.

LC
Old 09-15-2017, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
With no competition, I do see Cabelas raising their prices.
Wrong, lots of competition, look at all business members in cgn theres cheap to expensive, not everyone is happy crappy tire, and crapbelas, btw ct is a complete rip off and has no selection, it's barely a step up from wallyworld but I guess in a pinch would suffice.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I will drive the 2 & 1/2 hrs to Bass Pro, Cabellas has nothing for me. Thankfully there are still a few good options in E-town. The press release says they made over 100 mill last year, thats over 8 mil per store. Thats not profitable enough? Regardless, sad day indeed
Pretty sure it was 103 in sales, not profit. That's only about 8.3 per store. Hard to believe its that low. No wonder they are closing.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I will drive the 2 & 1/2 hrs to Bass Pro, Cabellas has nothing for me. Thankfully there are still a few good options in E-town. The press release says they made over 100 mill last year, thats over 8 mil per store. Thats not profitable enough? Regardless, sad day indeed
Their stated revenue was 103 million...that's about 8 million per store.
Revenue is not profit...it is before leasing, stock acquisition and staffing.
I bet they have been losing money for awhile now at those figures.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:44 AM
Banned

the older guy at the archery counter in the northside WSS was great to deal with. I only ever went there for archery stuff. if he wasn't there I left.

Though once I bought a 12 pack gold tip arrows and took them to cabelas to get cut and the guy there couldn't believe the price I paid for them (cheap) and you guessed it, bought from wss.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:47 AM

There comes a time in every Edmontonian/Calgarian's life when they need to hop in the truck, tune in their favorite radio station and drive the hour and a half to Wolverine or Sportsmen's Den in Red Deer........

The UFA used to sell outdoors gear at the farm store in Red Deer, maybe that will happen again.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
For those who are saying good riddance, think about this,

First Bass Pro bought out Cabelas, now Wholesale is closing down, there is no longer any competition. Cabelas would have to price match every matching item from a competitors store, now there is no competition. That rifle that was on sale at Wholesale for 20% off that Cabela's had to price match..... no more. Bass Pro Shop is setting the prices so pay it or don't buy it, no need to shop around!
Exactly. So the next big box competitor in the are is now Canadian tire. Canadian tire is selling powder at $60 a pound. Cabalas can now raise their price to $55 a pound and will still be competitive as the vast majority will not drive far or make Higginson's orders. This lack of competition is going to be a very bad thing.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
With no competition, I do see Cabelas raising their prices.
With the trend towards on line sales I think Cabelas will remain competitive. Although I have eons of history with WSS I like Cabelas and their product lines.

I probably have enough stuff so that I would never have to darken the door of a sporting store again, but I enjoy gun stores and have since my daddy took me many years ago. Cabelas and Bass and Cambodian Tire are not the real thing but the closest thing I can find to get my fix.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post

I probably have enough stuff so that I would never have to darken the door of a sporting store again, but I enjoy gun stores and have since my daddy took me many years ago. .
Damn, have you been talking to my wife, she says the same thing! Was going to stop in WSS this am, but swamped at work (patch is picking up!), anybody stop in and check it out?
Old 09-15-2017, 09:45 AM

Default Wholesale sale percentage discounts.

Might save u the drive if you can just find out the percentage discount now.

Last edited by ramonmark; 09-15-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post

Might save u the drive if you can just find out the percentage discount now.
Host the pics with something other than phptobucket. I suggest imgur.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:03 AM

Just came from there what a waste of time everything they sell on sale can be had elsewhere for less. Good riddance to these guys.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
Just came from there what a waste of time everything they sell on sale can be had elsewhere for less. Good riddance to these guys.
Exactly. The last day they're open is Dec 28th, I'll check them out on the 27th.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:14 AM

So if I went there looking for some camo that was 30% off from last weeks price I will be disappointed? I just want a pair of pants that were 140 bucks last week and given what I have read they should be 30% off today, or have stickers been adjusted all around?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstraps View Post
So if I went there looking for some camo that was 30% off from last weeks price I will be disappointed? I just want a pair of pants that were 140 bucks last week and given what I have read they should be 30% off today, or have stickers been adjusted all around?
The thing is, the discounts are "up to" 30% off - so there's not a high likelihood that what you are looking at will be at the full discount.

Friend of mine is at the South Edmonton WSS at the moment. Said guns were 5% off, parking lot is full, and there are long lineups.

My take is that it's going to be like a Dutch auction - the longer you wait, the better the price will be... And the less chance that it will be still in stock when you are ready to go get it.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:33 AM

Came from the Edmonton south store. Here are the discounts that I found:

fishing rods & reels : 10%
Fishing accessories: 20%
Optics: 10%
Clothing: 20%
Knives: 10%
Fishing lures: 30%
Fishing line: 20%
Firearms & ammo: 5%
Clearance items: 30% with the note that this is off the original price.

All discounts were off original prices. If things were on sale for a greater discount yesterday they are no longer that cheap. Wholesale is not running the sale, but a third party liquidation company. Seems like it will be a Dutch Auction style, with increasing discounts over time.

Place was packed and staff were running around doing their best to help everyone. I picked up a Grohmann knife, some bear spray, and a fly box. Nothing much, but things I was going to get anyway.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-15-2017, 10:33 AM

Here's a message from their website.

http://www.wholesalesports.com/WSS_CustomerInfo1.jpg
Old 09-15-2017, 10:35 AM
Banned

Buyer beware, if you know your price you'll do ok, but if you don't like 90% of the people here who seem to think 5 and 10% is a screaming deal your hooped!! Last week Allen gun cases 50% off today 10%, never seen a store in lethbridge this busy ever!
Old 09-15-2017, 10:35 AM

Ok, makes sense, in my excitement I ignored the "up to" part. Oh well there are worse things to do on a lunch hour
Old 09-15-2017, 10:37 AM
Banned

And on that note I won't be heading there lol
Old 09-15-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Came from the Edmonton south store. Here are the discounts that I found:

fishing rods & reels : 10%
Fishing accessories: 20%
Optics: 10%
Clothing: 20%
Knives: 10%
Fishing lures: 30%
Fishing line: 20%
Firearms & ammo: 5%
Clearance items: 30% with the note that this is off the original price.

All discounts were off original prices. If things were on sale for a greater discount yesterday they are no longer that cheap. Wholesale is not running the sale, but a third party liquidation company. Seems like it will be a Dutch Auction style, with increasing discounts over time.

Place was packed and staff were running around doing their best to help everyone. I picked up a Grohmann knife, some bear spray, and a fly box. Nothing much, but things I was going to get anyway.

SS
poor sale prices
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-15-2017, 11:01 AM

Tons of traffic through the store for pretty weak sale prices...

J
Old 09-15-2017, 11:07 AM

seen a lot of Sitka Flying off the Shelves, No good sales, kind of a waste of time.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:13 AM

That was pretty much a waste of my time. Not any deals to speak of, although I picked up a dozen duck decoys for just over $50.

My buddy drove up from Red Deer and walked out of the store empty handed after looking at the prices and the line ups to pay.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:22 AM

best image hosting free

Every week will be 10%. I'd wait a couple weeks or more if its nothing you NEED.

Last edited by ramonmark; 09-15-2017 at 11:28 AM.