Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 08:45 PM

Shopped there lots, always found their prices lower than Cabelas and the service better despite what many say. Always found their guns were from $20 to $150 less than the identical one at Cabelas. Reloading stuff too, overall found it less expensive than Cabelas. I will miss the option of having Wholesale Sports and it is just one less reason to go to the city.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 PM

Default Riches to rags

How UFA can take a gold mine and run it into the ground. We had lineups of people with money at the gun counter 20 deep in 2008. butlers knew the business and ran it well. UFA wanted to substitute inventory, delay payment to vendors and treat staff terribly. Surprised it took this long. Wouldnt listen to staff who had worked there for 18-20 years, kept a Butler on as consultant for first 3 years and wouldnt listen to him so he left before 2 years was up.
Couldnt buy a high end rifle or shotgun but the low end stuff was there as were the trinkets with 50% mark up. Alienate customers, staff and suppliers.
UFA had a better idea just ask them!!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
How UFA can take a gold mine and run it into the ground. We had lineups of people with money at the gun counter 20 deep in 2008. butlers knew the business and ran it well. UFA wanted to substitute inventory, delay payment to vendors and treat staff terribly. Surprised it took this long. Wouldnt listen to staff who had worked there for 18-20 years, kept a Butler on as consultant for first 3 years and wouldnt listen to him so he left before 2 years was up.
Couldnt buy a high end rifle or shotgun but the low end stuff was there as were the trinkets with 50% mark up. Alienate customers, staff and suppliers.
UFA had a better idea just ask them!!
Last I spoke with BB they were still the landlords, I wonder if he has any interest in rescuing it or if retirement is simply too much fun......? I was thinking it was a shame earlier today that UFA have killed off what he and his brother had spent so much time building into a success.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
Hey John, Glenn and all you interfering UFA beancounters who always tied the hands of the Purchasing team: I guess maybe you weren't so smart after all, were you? Maybe you should have listened to us when we complained about being out of stock on the stuff people wanted - the guns, the ammunition, the fly tying material and hooks, the sink tip fly lines, the affordable camo, the giftware?
This comment explains what I've noticed going on. I bought an awful lot of nice stuff on clearance over the past couple years but I never felt like wholesale was a reliable option for my everyday kinda needs. I remember really clearly going in the one day for some 3x leaders, a .30 cal brush and some bug spray but leaving empty handed.

How do you not stock .30 brass brushes ffs?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:36 PM
Banned

Post U - f - a

... yup with Peavy Mart giving them a run for their money in rural western Canada they'd better get back to core business - Card lock fuel.

... being self serve ,,, pretty hard to 'eff up.

TBD

PS ... celebration's over boys !! 'bout time for a decent dividend !!
maysbe we need to have a SH'older revolt !!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:38 PM

I would rather lose Cabelas than Wholesale Sports. I shopped at Wholesale Sports more often, because their reloading department was much better stocked, and the prices were better.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:42 PM

Sorry to see WWS go as competition tends to help keep prices down. Im sad about the job losses thats terrible.

I still prefer Fishing Hole despite there prices being higher in general though.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I would rather lose Cabelas than Wholesale Sports. I shopped at Wholesale Sports more often, because their reloading department was much better stocked, and the prices were better.
X2
Old 09-14-2017, 09:55 PM

Consumers losing options is never a good thing. I found their sales were better than their competitors. Not good.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:01 PM

It's sad, but you could see it coming, it just felt like they had lost the target audience

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2017, 10:05 PM
Banned

Spent countless hours in their flytying section years ago, when I quit drinking fly fishing and fly tying filled the void that was left. I know down in Lethbridge especially, I spent countless hours chattin with Rick who used to be in the fly fishing section, he was is great guy, but then a few years ago he left and the guys that replaced were 1/100 th of was he was, couldn't even bring my self to have a conversation with the new guys, the one day the french guy tried tellin me a tfo essox rod was a spey rod, I dang near blew a cog, I was so angry and let him know it! I hate arguing with morons should know what their talkin about but don't have a clue! I knew when Rick left, it was the beginning of the end. Haven't talked to Rick for a while but I'm sure he's slayin'em at Bullshead or goin for lake whites as the the weathers been cool. To all the Buzz Killingtons who said WSS weren't no good, your just like my wife and there ain't never gonna be nothin good enough for you, so prepare for a lifetime of disappointment! To everyone else, I feel your pain.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
I was in the Edmonton south store last night and every look like busy as usually.
I was at the Edmonton south store yesterday too and there was no indication of anything unusual.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:17 PM

Default Nosale Sports

I never felt like I was a customer that was appreciated at their store starting with the take a number and the dicks behind the counter. The dude with the beard that started at the Gun Store on Edmonton Trail and then went to Russel Sports and then to WSS was the worst. I won't miss them at all. It always seemed like you were interrupting their conversation when you needed something. Customer service was not in their vocabulary.
Good riddence!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:42 PM

I spent thousands in their fly fishing department over the years, then when UFA took over the inventory just dwindled to nothing. Went to buy 30 yards of T14 sink tip, guy accidentally rang it up as 30 feet. Realized his mistake then said the management were boobs so I'll sell it at the reduced price.

One day the rent a cop at the door demanded to empty my shopping bag at the exit and check the receipt after seeing walk 20 feet from the cashier. I turned around and returned everything I bought for a refund right then and have not been back for 4 years.

Good riddance.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
You don't know the half of it. I worked there for years, both under the Butlers and under UFA and while the UFA-era management gloated about how they were no longer a "Mom and Pop" shop - even as we could all see the crowds getting thinner and thinner every Saturday, year after year- the Butlers, on the other hand, used to gloat about WSS being a license to print money.

Hey John, Glenn and all you interfering UFA beancounters who always tied the hands of the Purchasing team: I guess maybe you weren't so smart after all, were you? Maybe you should have listened to us when we complained about being out of stock on the stuff people wanted - the guns, the ammunition, the fly tying material and hooks, the sink tip fly lines, the affordable camo, the giftware? Do you think you'll get twenty cents on the dollar now for all those cheap Quantum combos? And above all:

I GUESS MAYBE HANGING COLORED TAGS FROM EMPTY PEGS DIDN'T FOOL ANYONE AFTER ALL!!!
"No that is not in stock"
"No I do not know when it will be in or if it is ordered"
"No we no longer do special orders"
"Thanks for shopping Wholesale Sports"
Old 09-14-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
This comment explains what I've noticed going on. I bought an awful lot of nice stuff on clearance over the past couple years but I never felt like wholesale was a reliable option for my everyday kinda needs. I remember really clearly going in the one day for some 3x leaders, a .30 cal brush and some bug spray but leaving empty handed.

How do you not stock .30 brass brushes ffs?
How do you not have a single bottle of gun oil in stock for well over 6 months? How do you expect to sell shot shell components and never have lead shot?
How can you have poor selection of standard ammunition just before hunting season?
How does it always happen that you are nearly out of rim fire ammo just when the gophers are starting to show.
How come you can't plan it so that clay targets are in stock at the same time as cheap target loads.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Shopped there lots, always found their prices lower than Cabelas and the service better despite what many say. Always found their guns were from $20 to $150 less than the identical one at Cabelas. Reloading stuff too, overall found it less expensive than Cabelas. I will miss the option of having Wholesale Sports and it is just one less reason to go to the city.
X2
I shopped lots at Cabelas when it first opened but that novelty wore off after 3-4 times so I just watch the flyers there and order in store pick up. The kids like going there and seeing the mounts and playing with the pop guns and trying to lock each other in the gun safes though.
I bought a bow for the kid and cabelas sale price was CT reg price, so ya gotta watch your items.
I enjoyed the WSS here in GP, the bit older lady with the glasses was good with customers. It was handy when they used to transfer in stuff from other stores too. The sales are generally better than most. The stock came in waves it seemed, sometimes nothing for months.
I liked the south common one too, mostly fishing section and the clearance area.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringEagle View Post
I was at the Edmonton south store yesterday too and there was no indication of anything unusual.
Was in Calgary store on Tuesday, looked normal too. Sad news.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 PM

Sad day indeed. I quit buying from UFA years ago because of their commie attitude. I'm surprised it took this long for that hag Carol Kitchen who runs UFA to destroy WSS.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:05 PM

I bought most of my fishing and hunting stuff at WSS, it is very sad to hear this bad news.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
Sad day indeed. I quit buying from UFA years ago because of their commie attitude. I'm surprised it took this long for that hag Carol Kitchen who runs UFA to destroy WSS.
I think she had help from Glen Bingley and John Pardo
Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
How does it always happen that you are nearly out of rim fire ammo just when the gophers are starting to show.
Funny you should post this
A couple of years ago all the local stores were out of 22 ammo in the spring so when I was in the city I thought I would pick some up - Wholesale was out, so were Cabela's and CT. I went home empty handed. The next week I was in the UFA Farm and Ranch and what do I see - an entire display case full of 22 ammo. Fellow tells me that it has been going out the door like hotcakes but they still had pretty good stock piles if I needed more later
Old 09-14-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
The dude with the beard that started at the Gun Store on Edmonton Trail and then went to Russel Sports and then to WSS was the worst.
Yep, know exactly who you mean. Whenever I seen him, I would walk away.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:15 AM

Surprised he was in retail so long, seems like he can't get past his own ego to even help a customer. The CT at Shawnessy is my first stop these days and I hope they get even bigger in the gun dept. Heck you even get CT money when you buy your tags there.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus_Major View Post
Terrible news. Cabela's will tear us a new one and we won't be able to go elsewhere.
I will drive the 2 & 1/2 hrs to Bass Pro, Cabellas has nothing for me. Thankfully there are still a few good options in E-town. The press release says they made over 100 mill last year, thats over 8 mil per store. Thats not profitable enough? Regardless, sad day indeed
Old 09-15-2017, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Crappy tire has been my main go to for many moons too...

As these other ps shut the doors the crappy tires get the hint and take on stock that interest and fulfills the needs of all in that geographic area.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-15-2017, 06:14 AM

With no competition, I do see Cabelas raising their prices.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
I never felt like I was a customer that was appreciated at their store starting with the take a number and the dicks behind the counter. The dude with the beard that started at the Gun Store on Edmonton Trail and then went to Russel Sports and then to WSS was the worst. I won't miss them at all. It always seemed like you were interrupting their conversation when you needed something. Customer service was not in their vocabulary.
Good riddence!
X2 on this one, big time.

Everyone has their preferences, and since Cabelas opened in Calgary I've been very impressed each time I go there for something. Nice, friendly staff. Rarely don't have what I want. And their online presence blows Wholesale out of the water -- which no doubt lead to their closing.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:27 AM

I know they weren't perfect , but I've bought stuff there for 25 years and have been generally pleased about shopping there.
The North end store is 5 minutes from my home, so I am definitely going to miss the convenience of having an outdoor store close by.

Some of the staff there over the years really had me shaking my head though , but not all were bad. Hopefully they can find new work.

Good or bad , I for one am going to miss that store.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
X2 on this one, big time.

Everyone has their preferences, and since Cabelas opened in Calgary I've been very impressed each time I go there for something. Nice, friendly staff. Rarely don't have what I want. And their online presence blows Wholesale out of the water -- which no doubt lead to their closing.
Agreed. As for people saying they are higher priced, Ill only buy stuff on sale or from online bargain cave.