Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-01-2017, 07:38 AM

Default Snow goose

where I hunt water fowl snow goose have always been quite rare. Would only see the odd one mixed in with the Canadians. But this year all the water and fields are white. Has their migration mover further west? Another question with the influx of snows and specs Canadians are few and far between this week. Would the snows cause then to migrate out of the area?
Old 10-01-2017, 07:46 AM

Default Breeding sites

What I have always heard is that the snows are taking over the good breeding sites on the arctic ocean. Shoot the white ones as fast as you can!
Old 10-01-2017, 08:49 AM

Had a flock of snows come into our honker spread last weekend, east of Red Deer.
Never had that happen before in this area.

Seems to be more specks around this year. Last two weekends seen more specks than Canada's.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2017, 10:22 AM

talking to people who have hunted from manitoba through sask for a long time i would say it is definitely moving over. my theory is that they are killing the nesting areas and have to nest further west each year.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-01-2017, 07:48 PM

Default Just saw waveys over Langdon

Posted on northern duck thread Densa44 started that two big waves of geese just flew over me at dusk on way back from the barn. Sounded like wavies from James Bay many years ago. We dont see more than the odd snow here flying with Canadas and I have never seen large flocks (150-200 in each wave) here before. 2 waves passed over me 100 yards up and logical they were setting to land in Weed Lake
Old 10-01-2017, 08:13 PM

Canadas don't like hanging around snows, especially the big ones. Specs and little canadas will hang around them but usually separate a little bit. This year was one of the better hatches the snows have had so there's a few extra birds around