Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-25-2017, 12:25 AM

Default Best place to get a deer butchered?

Hi,

Where is the best place to get a deer butchered in Airdrie or North Calgary?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2017, 12:45 AM

Do it yourself man.
If you managed to shoot your animal , you should be able to cut the meat by yourself.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
Do it yourself man.
If you managed to shoot your animal , you should be able to cut the meat by yourself.
I just moved to a new town and currently renting an apartment. Would you suggest the hallway or my parking stall for butchering?
Old 08-25-2017, 01:09 AM

Talking moose
What I might suggest and what you will decide to do its totally up to you .
Frankly to cut a deer in the bushes in quarters and cut and pack it in your apartment should be no trouble at all.
I did it myself long time ago when was leaving in apartment and see no problem doing that again if have to.

Last edited by shooter12; 08-25-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Talking moose
Frankly to cut a deer in the bushes in quarters and cut and pack it in your apartment should be no trouble at all.
I did it myself long time ago when was leaving in apartment and see no problem doing that again if have to.
Ya that would work.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:13 AM

Anyone ever try real deal meats for butchering & sausage?
Old 08-25-2017, 05:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Talking moose
Yup did that a few times many moons ago...forgot to tell a past girlfriend about a few hunks of meat hanging in the shower...she drew back the curtain
Did I say ex...girfriend

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-25-2017, 05:40 AM

Rockys Sausage House

Just off memorial and Edmonton trail.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:17 AM

I like the service at Ryan's Meats in NE Calgary. I've had deer butchered there in the past and had excellent sausage made too.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:42 AM

Default ryan's

x2 for ryans. I am going back this year.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:45 AM

I'd hit up YouTube and do it myself. It's actually not that hard and is really rewarding.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 08-25-2017, 08:48 AM

I never realized how easy it is to debone a deer until i actually did it.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Do it yourself man.
No law says he should have to and many times circumstances are not favorable to self butchering such as apartment living.

Your comment reminds me of a guy at the range telling someone if they shoot they should be able too to reload.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08-25-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
x2 for ryans. I am going back this year.
X3

I like the huge sausage selection. Cutting up a deer/elk/moose is easy if you want it boneless. I prefer my steaks to be bone in and my roast to be tied properly for best cooking there for I take it to Ryan's. Sausage making requires a large amount of equipment, time, and experience. I am unwilling to invest the capital or time required to get the type of sausage desired so I take it to the professionals.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:15 AM
Banned

You got a deer already???
Old 08-25-2017, 09:48 AM

Cat
Its not about the law or telling someone what to do or not to do .
I understand that sometimes there is a situation when you can not do it because of apartment living or something else.
But to me it looks like a pretty easy job to debone , cut and vacuum pack the meat the way you want .
Making sausages and jerky could be a different story, but cutting is easy..lol
Old 08-25-2017, 01:58 PM

If one were to use the gutless method any kitchen table would work for deer sized game.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:12 PM

Irricana meats... can't say enough good things about them. I got a moose last year on the evening of the Friday of thanksgiving weekend... I had nowhere to hang it, so tried calling last minute to see if I could get it in. He stayed for hours past closing time to allow me to drive the 2 hours from my hunting area to get it to him... they do a great job and are reasonably priced as well.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Cat
Its not about the law or telling someone what to do or not to do .
I understand that sometimes there is a situation when you can not do it because of apartment living or something else.
But to me it looks like a pretty easy job to debone , cut and vacuum pack the meat the way you want .
Making sausages and jerky could be a different story, but cutting is easy..lol
What some of us take for granted others are overwhelmed with at times , be it field dressing , butchering or something as simple as sharpening a knife .
Other times they just do not have the time or the place required .
Cat
Old 08-25-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I just moved to a new town and currently renting an apartment. Would you suggest the hallway or my parking stall for butchering?
Either or, I've butchered in apartments before. I generally threw down a tarp in the kitchen and set up a piece of plywood on horses for a butchering table.

IMO to get good deer you need to take your time and get all the silver skin out. For what most people are willing to pay, a butcher cant process a deer properly and still make money. If you want top quality venison you need to do it yourself. I've been doing it a long time and my philosophy is that I've got to eat those deer all year, spending a few extra hours on the butchering is time well invested. These days my deer is good enough that My family has come to prefer it to most other red meat, and plenty of folks who think they don't like deer (eating only deer processed by a butcher perhaps) change their minds once they try it. Any venison I've tasted that rivals my own for quality is also butchered at home by an outdoorsman with plenty of patience.

The guy did ask for the best place, and doing it yourself is undoubtedly the best if at all possible.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-25-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:31 PM

Lol. Some people simply don't want to do that and would rather pay money to someone else to do it. Can't see anything wrong with that. I do it myself. Can't say I love it and sometimes really don't want to, but I do it. The only reason I do it myself is because I want to utilize every piece of the animal, the way I want it to be utilized. Same goes for the oil changes in my vehicles, as well as all other service and repairs. But the only reason I do that is because I am cheap The logic that one should do it himself is not really logical, imo.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Lol. Some people simply don't want to do that and would rather pay money to someone else to do it. Can't see anything wrong with that. I do it myself. Can't say I love it and sometimes really don't want to, but I do it. The only reason I do it myself is because I want to utilize every piece of the animal, the way I want it to be utilized. Same goes for the oil changes in my vehicles, as well as all other service and repairs. But the only reason I do that is because I am cheap The logic that one should do it himself is not really logical, imo.
I'm not saying that one should do it themselves. I'm saying that its a fairly easy skill to learn, it takes only a few basic tools to do, and with a little experience and patience one can produce superior meat. In the case of a deer the time investment is about a half day.

If none of that sounds interesting or logical then don't bother.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Kitchen. Butchered a 3 point mulie buck in my 2 bedroom apartment in Saskatoon when I was in college. Dressed and skinned at a friends farm, carefully cleaned off, wrapped in a tarp and carried up the side stairwell to the second floor.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:36 PM

I'm not familiar with any places in Calgary, took mine to grassy lane meats last year. It's in new sarepta, close to Edmonton. They did a good job. I do however prefer to cut them up myself. I don't have a garage to hang them in, or a proper refrigeration system. Last one I cut myself, I skinned and deboned right in my driveway, then brought it in and cut into steaks and stewing meat and ground up the rest. It was a very long day. I was heading back to work up north the next day. I pulled the trigger around 9 am. And didn't get finished packaging until 1:30 am. By the time I cleaned up and had a shower was after 2:30 am. It was totally worth it though. Even without hanging the meat for a day or two, the venison was delicious!!
Old 08-25-2017, 08:38 PM

Another consideration is that you want to hang the meat for a couple of weeks under controlled temperature to improve the taste and tenderize it a bit. Best done in a butcher's cooler. But I've also found that every butcher has a limited supply of hooks and space so he could be all 'full up' if you come in towards the end of the season.

Also, if you want ground meat, you have to mix it with some pork fat during the grinding process, which means you need both the grinder and the pork fat. I'm guessing some other cuts should be prepared with pork fat too; maybe roasts.

I've done my own meat and have had it done professionally. Even though the process of simply cutting up meat is not difficult, the various cuts should be done the proper way to get the most out of each one. Then there's the considerations mentioned above. I'd even suggest taking the meat cutter's course at NAIT if you get the chance.

There was a good meat processor east out of Calgary, which was relatively new a while back, in farming country. They did pretty good work for me then at a decent price. Spragg's, in Rosemary AB.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I'm not saying that one should do it themselves. I'm saying that its a fairly easy skill to learn, it takes only a few basic tools to do, and with a little experience and patience one can produce superior meat. In the case of a deer the time investment is about a half day.

If none of that sounds interesting or logical then don't bother.
My post was a reply to shooter12 and I thought I actually quoted him. Guess I didn't. Sorry.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms View Post
Hi,

Where is the best place to get a deer butchered in Airdrie or North Calgary?

Thanks!
if you live in airdrie and iam home you can butcher at my place

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 08-25-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
A buddy of mine dropped had a bag tear and drop deer liver in the hallway of his apartment.
What a go round getting the rug cleaned and the neighbour's calmed down.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
if you live in airdrie and iam home you can butcher at my place
What an offer. I'd jump on that..

Also where do people get butchers paper around Calgary? This year will hopefully be my first year, and I would like to get setup.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:58 PM

^ Not sure about Calgary, but no one has a better price per foot than Costco (at least this is the case for Grande Prairie).

Disclosure: I bought mine there for the first time a week or two ago. I usually buy it in NoFrills as needed - it's quite a bit more expensive (per foot) but I do not have a huge roll hanging around when I do not need it.