Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-28-2007, 11:16 PM
rugerman

Default Help, I want a Guided Grizzly Hunt

I'm looking for some references for a reputable guide for a big Grizzly, Anyone got any suggestions?
Old 01-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Rackmastr

What kind of grizzly do you want? A mountain grizz? Coastal? I have some good info on quality outfitters on mountain grizz hunts......just not sure what you're lookin for. If a mountain grizz it is, check out these outfits....

www.fredlundguideservice.com

www.comehunt.com

Both have good bear numbers and kill some good mountain grizz...PM me if you have any questions.....
Old 01-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Brock1

depends how much you want to spend. I am going on a grizz/ dall sheep in 08 in alaska. did a ton of research and know the outfitter very well. email me. koc@shaw.ca
Old 01-29-2007, 01:52 PM
rugerman

I was hoping to get a trip for a round $10,000 plus a little extra so my wife could come along as a spectator unless she could take a bear at a considerably lower price after I had harvested one, which isn't very likely! I would love to through in a Stone Sheep OR Big Horn or some other combo but I'm sure the budget doesn't allow for that right now!

Quote:
It's better to regret something you've done then to regret never doing it in the first place!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Rackmastr

Definatly give either of the outfits I posted a look.....their pics on the website dont do them justice, but both outfitters kill some very good mountain grizz, and can provide a HELL of a good hunt for a husband and wife combo. If you went in the fall, a good addition to the hunt might be a goat, which would be a bit cheaper than the sheep addition.

I prefer the Spring hunt for the bears, but I'd say both outfits kill just as many good bears in the fall. Its just a different hunting style.

In the spring, you're look for bears that are out on the hillsides in the chutes, looking and digging for food. Most of the times you'll spot them on the higher hills in the snow, and then stalk up and shoot them in the willows.

The fall hunt is usually a 'berry' hunt where you're hunting clear cuts looking for bears that are spending their time in the berries filling their bellies. A very exciting hunt as well that can be mixed with other big game....
Old 01-29-2007, 01:56 PM
rugerman

Thanks for the info, I'll be giving them both a call later in the day!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:57 PM
sheep hunter

Bob Milligan in BC is definitely worth talking to. www.coastmountainoutfitters.com

Another guy you might want to try is Darwin Watson at Yukon Stone.
www.yukonstone.com/
Old 01-29-2007, 08:23 PM
rugerman

Hey, was that supposed to be coastmountainexpeditions.com?? I can't connect to coastmountainoutfitters.com!

Thanx, Kirk
Old 01-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Jamie Hunt

Ruger, worked for me. I just cut and pasted. Try again

Jamie
Old 02-03-2007, 01:07 AM
cmfic1

X2 on the Watsons. I know Mac Watson pretty well, & they got a lot of Bear #'s in their area. I believe they have several openings for this Spring, the govmnt just allotted them more permits.

If I were to book an "Interior Bear" hunt, I would likely go with Taku safaris in the NW tip of BC. Basically they are AK Brown Bears, but geographically speaking, and according to B+C, they are Interior Bears......True monsters up there! They are Hunted pretty much the same as in AK, but about 6k less for the Hunt.

Have fun, deciding ....Theres thousands who would like to have this dillemma.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:05 PM
nafegavas

Check out the thread on general about bragging on line. You might wanna give those "guides" a wide berth. Good hunting to ya.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:34 PM
cmfic1

nafegaves, thats kind of a touchy subject around here....The Outfitter in the post you mentioned, is a nobody! All the Outfitters mentioned in this post, are very Reputable, well known, & well liked.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:37 PM
nafegavas

Sorry for the confusion, I meant the "Hunter hosts" that were convicted in that article in the general section not any of the reputable guides/outfitters mentioned above.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:47 PM
sheep hunter

Why do my posts keep getting deleted???? Someone asked a simple question and I offered a simple answer. Did something happen that I'm unaware of. Seems to be happening on a lot of threads where I have posted lately. Kind of giving me a complex. Nothing even controversial in the posts that keep getting deleted??????
Old 02-03-2007, 06:52 PM
cmfic1

Sheep, same thing here...dont know what happened, but my one post got deleted on this thread, then I asked why, and that one got deleted too!
Old 02-03-2007, 10:48 PM
prairieboy

I hunted with Taku several years ago.The outfitter and guide were very good and despite unseasonably hot weather,I did see several bears and was successful.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:51 PM
cmfic1

pb, how did your Hunt turn out? I'd really like to get up there after them Bears in that Country.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:13 PM
prairieboy

As I mentioned,the temperatures were very much above normal and bear movement was less than normal.In 8 days,I saw 8 grizzlies.On the eighth day myself and my guide spotted a bear walking into some brush at the top of a burn,and decided to climb up a drainage to get a better look at the bear.After about 3/4 of an hour of climbing,we stopped on a game trail for a rest and a drink.as we sat on the trail,we heard stones falling down the drainage.Looking across the drainage,we saw a grizzly stand up and look in our direction.He then came down on all fours and began walking towards us.He then began trotting and then broke into a run directly towards us.At 40 yards,I fired and the bullet entered the bears throat,travelling the bears length and lodging in the rear hip.The bear turned,and the next shot broke both shoulders resulting in the bear tumbling down the drainage.We worked our way down the drainage to the bear and skinned it out on the river bank.The bear was 6'8" which is pretty average for a mountain grizzly,but on the small size for this area.I also killed a large wolf on the hunt,and saw many stone sheep,mountain goats,moose and caribou.There was also good fishing in front of the base camp for steelhead and dolly varden.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Brock1

hey there, I just booked a grizz, dall sheep combo in Alaska for 08, email me and I will tell you the details. this isthe 3rd year we are using this guy. awesome reputation and he is in the brooks range. email me this time if you want the help. I have a whack of pictures too. he does the combo with only a trophy fee for the second animal of 4000 if you shoot only. koc@shaw.ca B. great boars and average 37" - 38" rams.