Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-04-2007, 09:07 PM
RyanGSP

Default 17 HMR

I am looking into buying a 17 HMR for rabbits and gophers this spring. I have been looking at the marlins but was wondering if anyone could reccomend anything. Looking to spend about 250-350 on the gun.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Faststeel

Default 17

Ryan Ithink that the savage 17's are even less than the marlins and of course come with the accutrigger
Old 02-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Bruce

Default 17 HMR

Hey Ryan,
I picked up a Savage GV-17HMR just before Christmas. It has a nice wood stock and topping it off with a Simmons 3-9 x 32 on Weaver bases put it in your price range. It's absolute death to anything in the bunny size, and you can get FMJ's or centerfire mimics/mushroomers if you don't want to blast the meat to smithereens
It's wonderfully accurate, and as Faststeel mentioned, comes with the Accutrigger. I can easily put five shots under an inch at 100 yards, and if you knew how "great" of a shot I am, that's even more impressive :rollin
Nice gun, nice price, nice ballistics. Give 'em hell.
Bruce
Old 02-05-2007, 01:39 AM
bigbore

just wondering, i remeber seeing a pic of a grouse shot with a 17 HMR posted on here, are they effective for grouse with a specific bullet? sometimes i see grouse where i hunt over 100 yards on the trail ahead of me, it would be nice to snipe them at long range, guns like .270's just dont work, lol
Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 PM
aulrich

When I heard of savage rimfires getting the accutrigger I figured there would have been at least a small revolution, but I must have missed it.

I have a Marlin 917v it works just fine, but the nice thing about the hmr is that there does not seem to be a dud in any of the major manufactures. The all seem to shoot very well as a rule. I swapped out the trigger return spring for a lighter one and that dropped the trigger pull some but i will lilky replace it this year with a rifle basix trigger, the VQ hammer on my 10/22 spoiled me.

As a gopher gun I would think 4-12 is a minimum I have a 6-18 and that's about right, gophers at 150 start getting real small.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 PM
RyanGSP

Thanks for the help guys I will look into those guns.

Bigbore they sell a bird shot for the .22's that works really well. All the grouse I have run into stay until I have gotten into range with that type of shot. But unfortunatly the gun is never with a guy when he runs into them.

Rimfire Shotsells
Old 02-05-2007, 06:31 PM
varmitr

here is mine and his 10/22 brother

from whut ive heard, you cant go wrong with either.
got the rifle basix in the marlin
Old 02-05-2007, 06:40 PM
RyanGSP

I think I have made up my mind. I am going to look deeper into the Savage 93R17 Hornady Magnum in either the Laminate S/S or the Syn S/S.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Faststeel

Default 17

Ryan you could also use your 17 cal for roosters in the ditch at 75 to 200 yards if the wind isn't too bad, saw a guy take a sharptail in the stubble at about 200, deader than a mackeral, quite an amazing little gun. If you are defintely going to get one I'd start buying ammo now as its due for a healthy increase this spring, 17 Vmax Hornady's are my fav, and I have some 20 gr CCI but haven't tried them out just yet. Wholesale is likely the least exp. FS
Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 PM
RyanGSP

Default Re: 17

Fasteels thanks I will look into that. Its a friend and me decided this weekend we both needed one. We did see a wide selection of bullets at wholesale while we were there as well.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:13 AM
willy

Default can u stretch ur budget go with CZ

I have a CZ 452 american what a sweet rifle. Outa the ones i handled it was the nicest. I got mine 2yrs ago at gunshow $450 tax included. Think theyre over 500 now tho
Old 02-06-2007, 01:30 PM
shorthair

Default Re: can u stretch ur budget go with CZ

I agree with willy. If you can afford it I would go with the CZ. The new CZ 452 now comes with the set trigger system which is sweet. I know Wholesale in Lethbridge claims they probably wont be receiving any of there order. I have ordered a few guns now from SIR in Winnipeg. I'm not sure if they carry the CZ line, but if they do I can almost guarantee they will have stock or will be getting stock.

The set trigger is great when you need to make a precision shot. I have a 204 in the 452 and to set it you push the trigger forwrad. When set it has a .8 lbs pull (checked with a trigger scale). Not a good system for kids, but I think you just might be old enough to use something like this RyanGSP:rollin
Old 02-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Faststeel

Default CZ are great

I must agree the CZ's are a great gun and I have the varmint in .17, but I will tell you guys that its the round that is very accurate to begin with, so don;t worry about getting a Savage or any of the less expensive brands because they all shoot very well. Speaking of less expensive P&D has the new Stevens in 17, and they are real cheap, and they even come with weaver bases.FS
Old 02-06-2007, 09:43 PM
RyanGSP

Whats the difference between the american and the varmit in the CZ?

Also what does P & D stand for?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Faststeel

Default P&D

Ryan P&D is P&D enterprises, just about the nicest gun store anywhere, but its in Edmonton 420-6419.
Now for CZ's, the varmint gun is a heavy barrel, the American is a standard barrel, I think that the current price on the varmint is around $480.00 and the American is $520.00. Sometimes you can find a CZ with decent wood, most are just plain. Ammo is around $125.00 for 500. Check out the Savage web site and have a lok at the Stevens, its a plain jane synthetic, but the amount you save on the rifle you can invest in a nicer scope,( most guys that scope these guns look for something in the 4-16 or 5-15, or the Banner 6-18) and some ammo.FS