Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-05-2007, 11:30 PM
shooter

Default Moose herds?

Just going through some of my older pics and found this when i was looking for a picture to post on the FACE TO NAME in general board.
This was taken two minutes prior to me shooting my moose which is the left one in the photo, but the whole scene was unreal. In the pic it shows 6 bull moose together and there was another 4 that didn't fit in that shot. 10 Bulls all in a group that where maybe about 150 yds spread out total. A sight that i will never forget. :eek :eek : I'm sure that i won't see again... but maybe it's more common then i know...?!!

Just thought i'd share that while i was thinking about it.
Shooter

Old 02-05-2007, 11:37 PM
moosefever

OK Shooter....you know its going to happen, so I might as well be the first to ask details man details. I myself hunt moose east of Red Deer. By the way awesome rack on the pack dude, I am extremely jealous!!
Old 02-06-2007, 01:01 AM
shooter

Ok Moose,
It was a couple years ago and last day of my hunting season for the year due to work, but went out to our "moose spot":lol and got in just before day break. Anyway once clear it was like we were seeing things... 10 moose together??? what the f!!!? Sometimes we don't see that many Elk together yet alone moose! The pics were taken from about 440 yds and then i left my partner and belly crawled to a range of about 340 to 350 and got the angle that i needed. Shot went through both shoulders and out the other side. I am hunting south west of you in the foothills.

Has anyone else seen that many or more?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:04 AM
whitetrail

i have seen herds like that in fort saskatchewan/lamont/chipman areas.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:05 AM
bigbore

yup ,e too, in the fort sask/Josephsburg areas.

great pics, thx for sharing:eek
Old 02-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Duffy4

Not usual to see that many moose in a pile. There must have been an attraction there. Good feed or a couple cows in heat or a combination. (like a saturday night at Tony Romas)

I once saw 9 in a willow flat near Talbot lake east of Jasper town site.

Here is a game count shot of 4 of a group that had 6 in it, west of Rocky from a couple years back.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:40 AM
walleyes

Very impresive shooter,, nice pic and nice rack to,,, I think the most I have ever seen is 4 in a group, 3 cows and a bull.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:57 AM
HUNTNUT

Up here in the GP area I've seen that only in the dead of winter where there is good feed-usually in a farmers field or such.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:58 AM
3 Sheep

My Dad, a buddy and myself where up North West of Grande Prairie in Nov. for Mule deer season with all of the snow that was also present. The field's where all snow covered and feed was a big issue. We were about 5 Km North of the airport and watched a good sized bull and 9 cow's in a 10 acre sized lot. Let me tell you that was one happy bull moose :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin . (9 smokin faces , for 9 ladies !!!!) Great bull there shooter !!! What a BI*CH getting those big guys out of the bush. Tore the dumper off of the truck when it fell through the ice on a creek up in Grande Prairie a couple of years ago. Shooter that is a lot of "BULL's" in one field that's for sure. Be glad you took pictures as you don't see that every day !
Old 02-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Grizzly Adams

The willow flats along Williams Creek, west of Sundre used to look like this, till a bunch of natives came down from the Saddle Hills reserve and ended that.
Grizz
Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 PM
HIBACKPACKER

HEY SHOOTER
NICE ELK LOL JUST KIDDING GREAT BULL HOW DID YOU GET THAT BULL OUT. DID YOU HAVE A RHINO OR WHAT DO TELL.
HOLE DID YOU SEE THE HUGE CAT HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO MEET A @#%$ CAT LIKE THAT IN THE WOOD LATE AT NIGHT.
HAPPY HUNTING
Old 02-06-2007, 10:19 PM
3 Sheep

Grizzly Adams :
Man you know better than to go there !!!!!!!!!!!
You're going to start something !!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't blame the food that makes you fat.....................blame the pie hole you can't keep shut !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is it REALLY REALLY the natives fault or is it the system ?????????
Modern day problems..........need modern day solutions.
I should have never said anything as I'm betting this one gets all fired up.................Here we go again.
Sitting back and monitoring as the reply's come crashing in:rolleyes
I haven't had this much fun since the pigs ate my brother !!!!!!!!!:smokin
Old 02-06-2007, 11:06 PM
shooter

the moose got pulled out on one of those game carts that i have. works good but the tires and frame could be bigger. Because i'm tall the handles are too low and it shifts the weight all in the wrong spots.

I also agree with 3sheep... that's just askin for something to start again. Although it may or may not be what happened, that verbage is very general!.

Just my thoughts.
shooter
Old 02-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Moose Herds

Default Moose Herds

Hey it is my undestanding the bulls get together after the rut.....'bachelor herds'. I don't know why, I can only assume that after all the action there is safety in numbers. I have only seen it once. 8 bulls. It was quite a site!
Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Grizzly Adams

Default Re: Moose Herds

I thought afterwards, shure as Sh , I'll offend somebody, but unfortunately I'm not a politically correct guy and haven't yet learned that truth is whatever you can spin it to.. You can't go through life with blinders on. In one week, they took 20 some moose out of that area. this was from a report in the Sundre paper, about 15 years ago.
Grizz
Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Chung

Default Re: Moose Herds

Up in the Peace Country there was a farmers's field with 15 in it. All cow and calves.
Later on I stumbled upn 7 at once, cows, calves an a young bull.
No tag. Nice to watch. Felt outnumbered. I was right in the open and none moved.
Spoke with the F&W bilogist for the area and the some times see up to 20 in the farm land at times while flying.