Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-03-2007, 10:59 AM
nafegavas

Default Handgun hunting in Alberta.

Who would like to see it made legal in this province?
I ask because over on gunnutz it's a pretty hot topic right now with opinions from across the country. JUst wondering how fellow Alberta hunters would feel about it.
For the record, I'm very much in favour.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:50 PM
handguns

Default handguns

The liberal party is trying to ban handguns outright. They will only restirct their use further not relax the rules. You would be better off trying to convince them to make it legal to use fully auto machine guns to hunt good luck.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:29 PM
sheep hunter

Default Re: handguns

Federal laws would have to change first so Alberta really has no say in it. I can't see it happening but it's nice to dream.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:39 PM
grandzillaa

Default Re: handguns

Ya its a dream alright. We live in a panic stricken country where violence is on the rise. I wonder what will happen if the libs get back in? Well we be able to own any kind of firearm?
Old 02-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Rubber Ducky

I would love to see this as well, but we're living in a country griped by an anti-gun hysteria. and I don't see this changing any time soon
Old 02-03-2007, 04:10 PM
rugatika

Default I'm for it

I think it would be nice if our government trusted us with handguns, but they don't and I doubt the people out east will ever let us hunt with them.

It's probably for our own good. I'm just glad there are people in Ontario and Quebec that are looking our for us.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Handguns

Default Handguns

I would like to see that opportunity arise, however, as we all know,:rolleyes , handguns are far more dangerous in the field than any long range rifle. And to boot, most of us hunters out there are already deemed criminals for having guns, all these new gun legislations are aimed at keeping guns out of criminals hands.....so I guess we're all hooped. But sure nice to know that the criminals can't get guns anymore isn't it?:lol
Old 02-03-2007, 06:01 PM
grandzillaa

Default Re: Handguns

Well if your not shot to death in Edmonton, then your stabbed to dead. Yeb it is nice to know that the liberal gun law is working so will to keep guns out of the criminals hands. Hmmm how many killings do we have so far 3 or 4.

Well one can always (dream a hunt). In other words dream your trophy WT hunt with a handgun, or do the next best thing play a video or computor deer hunting game, at least that way you can have your choice of firearms and you can pretend your doing it in Canada.

Oh well at least we can hunt with a crossbow.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Blades

(chuckle, chuckle...LOL) not in archery season.

I for one am in favor of concealed carry.....( I'm nothing but a dreamer!)

Todd
Old 02-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Scott N

It's nice to dream, but I don't think it will ever happen either. I think a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. would be a cool deer gun.

I would also be in favour of CCW for qualified people. To me it's ironic that private citizens like Brinks guards can carry handguns to protect money and no one blinks an eye. But carry a handgun to protect your own life and people think that you are a danger to society. I guess money is more valuable than a person's life.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:39 AM
handgun

Default handgun

I would love to hunt with my 41mag! If you could obtain a carry permit for the bush, what else would be stopping you?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Coe

Default Handguns

Well a carry permit would only be half the battle, which isn't a real ease to get ahold of unless you have what they feel a "justifyable reason" for carrying. ie: responsible for looking after safety of others in remote areas, or if your line of work puts you there. Even in these circumstances, they want to know why you can't carry a shotgun/rifle rather than a handgun. But the other half of the battle is that it is stated in the alberta hunting regulations that it is illegal to hunt with a handgun. I'm all for it, but as stated in a previous post here, I have a tough time seeing them loosen regulations with the way things keep heading. We'll be lucky enough to own them legally in time........
Old 02-04-2007, 03:19 PM
nafegavas

Sharon Gregson is a school trustee out in Surrey BC who is demanding the right to carry a pistol for personal protection. If she wins, carrying in the bush might be an easier sell. Was just asking if you'd be interested in hunting with a handgun should the opportunity arise not if you'd given up without a fight.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Duffy4

The AF&GA has in the past put forward resolutions to request a handgun deer season in Camp Wainwright. It is such a "controlled" situation, a good argument can be made for allowing such a season. Sometimes somthing that makes sense does eventually happen. I prefer to think posative instead of negatively.

Robin in Rocky
Old 02-05-2007, 06:54 PM
nafegavas

That would be suhweet.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:48 AM
razadp

I'd like it.

Movin to US soon, I'll give deer & pig hunting with revolver a try next year.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Chung

Put it this way.
The mentality of the liberals is that handguns are not legitimatly used for anaything.
If we have legitimate use for them with hunting seasons in many provinces, this would add to the argument to keep them and use them without being treated like a leper.
I think it would make the public more accepting to them.
I have ha a few arguments with people who have the view that target shooting doen't justify having a handgun.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Okotokian

I'm against it, though not rabidly. Has nothing to do with gun laws.

Once there is a group of handgun hunters, the next demand will be "We want our own season, like the archers!" Sure, just carve it out of the already short long gun season.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 PM
nafegavas

Chung, that's the whole point in a nutshell. Okotokian I wouldn't ask for my own season, I swear, I wouldn't want to **** off the muzzle loader crowd. Most of my hunting is in thick bush, well within range of a 44 mag and there's more wallopy hand guns out there. I think it would be nice if the various governments would finally admit to the general public that those of us who consent to the rectal flashlight are not the cause of gang crime and should be allowed to hunt with any capable firearm.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Grizzly Adams

Personally, I think it's an uphill fight and it ain't gonna happen, but I didn't realize until lately that there is apparently such a thing as a "Wilderness carry permit". There might be an opening here if a guy could ever get his hands on one.
Grizz
Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Duffy4

"Personally, I think it's an uphill fight and it ain't gonna happen"

People who say"it ain't gonna happen" just about never win any "up hill fights". They normally don't even fight the up hill fights, they just give up right away.

It is my view that if you think something is good or right then you support it. And if those who are wrong oppose it then it is they who are wrong. If you just say "well they will not allow it so there is no sence in trying" Then you do the wrong thing for them and they have won without any fight.

If we keep "fighting" the anti gun people as we back up and they advance we will soon be in a corner. If we fight for MORE opportunity to use firearms in a legal and legitimate way, at least we will not be retreating.

Robin in Rocky
Old 02-08-2007, 01:51 PM
varmitr

me would want to 'pack' for bear and wolves in bow season, nothing else, oh maybe cougars in shed hunting season...
Old 02-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Ken aka Savage

Here's another twist to this topic, from the competence I have seen displayed be pistol & revolver shooters at our local 25 yard indoor range, I would fear for thier safety in say a bear attack situation. There are very few I have seen who can honestly shoot a tight consistent group, including local LEO's unless they are shooting from a sandbag support (tough to duplicate that shooting proficiency in a real world situation).
Before you start planning your handgun hunting adventure, practice enough to ensure you can accurately hit your desired target. IMHO, that is true gun control.
When I am camping or hiking and feel the need for personal protection I leave my handguns at home in the gunsafe & take my double barrel 12ga shotgun stoked with tripple aught 3" mags & a vest pocket full of extra rounds.
Personally I think this train of thought should extend to rifles & archery, in other countries I know of, they require annual proficiency tests before a hunting permit is sold to the hunter. If we had such a requirement I bet we would see alot more practice at the gun & archery ranges leading up to hunting season.:eek
--Ken:\
Old 02-08-2007, 07:09 PM
nafegavas

Absolutely right on the practice point Savage, there's more than a few rifle hunters who don't get in enough practice time as well. Anyone who's been to the public range can bear that out. A good deal of people are happy merely being competent at their pursuits others like to excel. To be competent enough to hunt with a handgun one would have to practice lots. A competent rifle hunter who chooses to hunt with a pistol would then have to shoot lots more at the range to hunt with the same level of confidence and consideration for the animals he hunts. Nothing wrong with that.
For bear protection, it's hard to top a 12ga. but when fishing back country, a holstered 44 mag or better would be easier to [ack all those miles than any long arm.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:48 PM
varmitr

here is as close to handgun as we can get

www.weatherby.com/product...FPI7M8RR1O
Old 02-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Grizzly Adams

Hey Robin;
didn't we have this same discussion, another place another time? The echo of Paul Martin, promising to ban all handguns,was still in the air, as I recall.:rollin There's a difference between fighting an uphill fight and tilting at windmills.