Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-04-2016, 01:01 PM

Default Close calls? while out hunting? Grizzly in camp?

Grizzly in camp!! The story. Well we were in the process of packing up our units to make a move as we couldn't find any moose sign. We were spotting elk...and lots of elk sign...and lots of rabbits and bears....but no moose so a move was in order.

I had just tossed my cooler inside the camper and was going to head around the side to turn off the propane when I saw a grizzly bear about 50 feet away scratching his arse on a tree beside our old meat poles. HOLY that gets your attention!! Boomer [338 Ruger] was about ten feet away and I just took a couple huge steps and grabbed him off his perch and started tossing rounds into the mag...I got three in real quick and started hollering to warn my partner there was a grizz in camp!! The bear just stared and scratched the whole time this was happening!! I could hear Ron loading up, and heading my way and as the Grizz stopped the scratching the bear just started sauntering towards me so I loosed a round into the dirt beside him as Ron came up behind me and the bear took off towards the north side of camp and the logging cut there.

Figuring he had taken off at the discharge I told Ron that I was going to peek into the cut and see if I could verify he was taking off...well I went about 15 feet towards the cut and I could see the grizzly just standing in the small pines, head down staring at me...still perhaps 50 feet away, but intimidating no less. So I asked Ron to shoot a round while I kept the cross hairs on him...When Ron fired the bear went over the small bank and out into the cut.

We figured that was it, and I went back to stand beside my camper and Ron, we even sat down on the chairs and watched the cut with loaded guns in our hands. A few minutes passed..2, 3 maybe even 4. And I decided that it might be a good idea to put a couple more rounds into my rifle so I opened the breach and just as I was extracting the loaded round the grizz came up over the ridge and was within about 40 feet of us!! HOLY...that gets your attention when you try to load back up and things start top jamm up!! So I dropped the loaded round and cycled in my last round!! We both stood up and the bear just stood there imposingly staring at us...I told Ron to fire another round as I only had 1 in the gun and if that bear was going to come I would have to try and kill it. So Ron fires into the tree beside his head and the grizz wheels and heads back out into the cut. [relief time here gents]. I immediately opened my action and got a full complement of 4 rounds into my 338 and after a few minutes I went to see if I could see that bear leaving. I never did, so we took turns on bear watch while we finished packing up. Did I mention it was probably around 500 pounds and the first grizzly we have actually seen come into our camps!!
Old 09-04-2016, 01:08 PM

Any close call I ever had involved moose, never a bear.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:13 PM

It's always good to share these encounters, it reminds us all to be more vigilant.
I was up Walker creek Fsr a few weeks go with a grizz about 50 yards away, fortunately I had just got out of the truck and got back in real quick.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:15 PM

Yikes ... this is gonna be a big time problem bear for someone else... good stuff you had guns , as many wouldn't ... what WMU
Old 09-04-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio56 View Post
yikes ... This is gonna be a big time problem bear for someone else... Good stuff you had guns , as many wouldn't ... What wmu
7-21 bc
Old 09-04-2016, 01:21 PM

Nope. A bear walks toward me and that's his last sunrise, pretend 'law' be damned, and no ones ever gonna hear about it. That bear now has learned that nothing bad happens when you hang out with people. Not good. Add to that the fact that he could have your head off before you could cycle the action...yikes.

No criticism meant, you did what was legal and what you thought was right. Glad it worked out and you're safe.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Nope. A bear walks toward me and that's his last sunrise, pretend 'law' be damned, and no ones ever gonna hear about it. That bear now has learned that nothing bad happens when you hang out with people. Not good. Add to that the fact that he could have your head off before you could cycle the action...yikes.

No criticism meant, you did what was legal and what you thought was right. Glad it worked out and you're safe.
my thoughts exactly ... OP , did you have spray , or would you even consider it in this situation .. also maybe lucky there was 2 of you at the time .. I hate brave bears ...
Old 09-04-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
my thoughts exactly ... OP , did you have spray , or would you even consider it in this situation .. also maybe lucky there was 2 of you at the time .. I hate brave bears ...
I don't believe in spray, they get close enough for that and the spray will be with lead. I just keep thinking, how close would he have come if he hadn't stopped to scratch his butt on that tree??

I didn't really feel like he was being 'dangerously aggressive', there were no growls, or threatening moves other than the stare down and the apparent lack of fear over the loud noises. I've had black bears come in very aggressive, so I guess that I use that as a base for my judgement. The black bear was snarling, clawing, snapping jaws, hair raised on back and coming straight at us 'dangerously aggressive' is how I describe it.

Also, we have both been at this for a long time. I'm edging 60 and Ron has 10 years on me. We both agree that killing a grizzly we don't have too would be way more hassle than it's worth, so not shooting to kill was a real judgement call. Just happy it all worked out.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
7-21 bc
7,21 , 22, and 19 and 20 MU,s have large Grizzly populations , not uncommon to see a couple a day or ,more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.6 KB, 553 views)
Old 09-04-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
7,21 , 22, and 19 and 20 MU,s have large Grizzly populations , not uncommon to see a couple a day or ,more
That bear isn't even that BIG! haha
Old 09-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
That bear isn't even that BIG! haha
Just a booboo bear, haha

here is another foothills cub,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.7 KB, 527 views)
Old 09-04-2016, 03:34 PM

Good call not shooting... The way I see it a good grizz encounter is good for people. It's better to have more respect for the bear then fear. If it's the other way around stay out of grizz country.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
Good call not shooting... The way I see it a good grizz encounter is good for people. It's better to have more respect for the bear then fear. If it's the other way around stay out of grizz country.
and if the bear has no fear ?? not a reason to stay out ...

Last edited by Rio56; 09-04-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:17 PM

Had a grizzly in camp 15-16 years ago, have been almost trampled by a wild stallion out west of Sundre years ago(should have shot it) and did shoot a 6.5" black bear at PBR that charged me when I was retrieving another bear I'd shot. It was actually eating it in a hollow along the river in a bunch of willows. Luckily I had a rifle with me and shot it at less than 10'...
Old 09-04-2016, 05:29 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

The second round was his last, there was something wrong with this fella for sure.
Glade it worked out but he will be back, not scared of your camp, sleep lightly.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-04-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I don't believe in spray, they get close enough for that and the spray will be with lead. I just keep thinking, how close would he have come if he hadn't stopped to scratch his butt on that tree??

I didn't really feel like he was being 'dangerously aggressive', there were no growls, or threatening moves other than the stare down and the apparent lack of fear over the loud noises. I've had black bears come in very aggressive, so I guess that I use that as a base for my judgement. The black bear was snarling, clawing, snapping jaws, hair raised on back and coming straight at us 'dangerously aggressive' is how I describe it.

Also, we have both been at this for a long time. I'm edging 60 and Ron has 10 years on me. We both agree that killing a grizzly we don't have too would be way more hassle than it's worth, so not shooting to kill was a real judgement call. Just happy it all worked out.
Ya happy too but not all bears act the same way when showing aggression etc kinda like people, ya just never know but you guys been around enough and have experience, just glad we are not reading about a mauling.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:35 PM

Wink

Quote:
Just a booboo bear, haha

here is another foothills cub,,,
You keep your pets penned up please....that ahhh so called cub walks my waysee ya!

Old 09-04-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I had another one blocking the atv trail the day before, he was younger and not quite so big. I've had quite a few encounters with them in those units over the years. The main reason I switched from the 30-06 to the 338.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:22 PM

I have had the almost exact scenario as the OP 2 times, one in the 80ies and once in the 90ies up the Atlas in 402. those Grizzly bears shared the same aversion to gunshots hitting the dirt right beside them as they did in the OP's post. They both backed off a bit then returned a short time later, in the last case 3 times before finally getting the hint this was not a good place for them to be. It does give you the meaning to the term pucker power for those following the "Lingo Thread" in General discussions.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 09-05-2016, 01:32 PM

My guess would be that the bear has previously been successful at finding food in someone's camp.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:33 PM

Default Close calls? while out hunting? Grizzly in camp?

That bear should feel lucky it was you with the .338 lol , awesome story
Old 09-05-2016, 03:55 PM

Glad it worked out for you but I agree with 3Blade. Grizz or Black Bear at 50 feet that doesn't run at the sight and sounds of man would be a Ralf Klien Special. Next guy might not have a gun or Bear Spray.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Try that scenario at 3 a.m. with only your "magic Johnson" in your hand, when you are having a whiz in the moonlight.

Happened in an area where "There are no grizzlies here".

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-05-2016, 04:27 PM

Default You need a good dog.

A good dog in camp will save you an unexpected surprise when a bear decides to pay you a surprise visit.

Two years ago at the end of October I had a sow grizz and two second year cubs saunter in just as I had finished packing up camp. The dog bolted past me and chased the three bears down the trail for several hundred yards.

Last summer had a single bear come in at first light. The dog was acting goofy for about a half hour before the bear arrived, must have had its scent. The bear was coming up the horse trail and I had camp just above the trail on a flat spot. The bear crossed thru an open spot in the willows and the dog bailed off the bank and was right on the bears hind end and chased him a couple hundred yards up the side of the mountain across from camp.

These are just a couple of the more interesting encounters in the last few years in the area I hunt. Have had numerous other encounters while hiking where the dog has earned her keep by putting the run on bears. No doubt she has saved me having to shoot bears.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Try that scenario at 3 a.m. with only your "magic Johnson" in your hand, when you are having a whiz in the moonlight.

Happened in an area where "There are no grizzlies here".
LOL!!!

Bet you didn't need any help emptying out the bladder after that!!! I hope it wasn't too windy!
Old 09-05-2016, 08:43 PM

Had one come in on us while calling for moose in 404. The 2 of us stood up and yelled at it and it could have cared less, it started to circle us at 40yrds as we were trying to get to the horses back in the bush. A bow and pepper spray don't feel very comforting when that's all you've got but anyway we made it out ok and that bugger just kept following us for 150yrds while we yelled at it trying to keep the horses from freaking out, we lost him somewhere on the 6km back to camp and never saw it again but I sure was glad we weren't walking back to camp that night.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:16 PM

Default similar experince

I had a similar experience I had a sow and two cubs charge me on a elk kill lucky they wanted the kill more than I but after that one I am more aware of my surroundings horrible experience but glad I got out of there with my britches intact have a safe hunting season to everyone

Last edited by bigben; 09-05-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:40 PM

Well bears are naturally curious.if you are in an area that has lots of human activity .. along with the garbage and food smells associated with men then alot of bears are drawn to that and it is hars for them to ignore these smells. Bit i think this was just a grizz that happened by and was somewht curious but definatly not a killer bear. You habe more of a chance these days getting blown up in the mall or rum over by a texting driver standing on a curb. He was scratching himself and "sauntering" along so sounds similar to a bush partridge i seen in the bush time. Dont think i would have shot at it though.... mayne sit in the truck and enjoy this majestic animal.
Grizzlies are just as curious as black bears..... o e time a helicopter lost part of his load and ot landed on a glacier it was flying over..... 8000ft up elevation and way up abover treeline
.it was only a few days later and there were big frizz tracks walking up to it " checking it out" wasnt food or anything either.

Another time on nighshift helicopter job northen yukon 2 in the.morning moon out what is behind 30 feet but a big grizz walking aroumd ( no not circling) and having a look at what these humans are doing in its territory. Was just curious... even after that he came by camp and would see him a few hundred yards away in day time after roots.

Many many times i have seen areas where 100 feet away or less after a shift and it gets light out and you see a big pile of somethi.g that cover the size.of a garbage can lid. Ol brutus checking things out. Not a wiser "old man"out in the bush then an ol grizz.but a killer .... no. ..... you do open your eyes a bit when you see a big grizz dig a 400 lb black bear out of a hole and carry it off with nary a drag mark on the ground.

Now if you are a stupod human taking pics of a mother grizz with cubs near or think you are a grizzly talker like the one guy who thoight he knew them so well .... then you deserve what is going to happen next.

No spell check
Old 09-06-2016, 12:56 AM
Gone Hunting

In about 1970 when I hunted the Kootenays with horses, we would see a guy in a pickup truck sitting on a landing or on the logging road and he would glass the mountains. Not unusual behavior in that country, but I never saw him out of his truck and I never knew where he camped.
One night while have a wobbly pop with a few hunters we met, I asked them about 'the guy'.

Seems he was an elk hunter. On a trip he had shot a big bull on the mountain and got his pals to help pack it out on boards, He had the last load and as he left the kill site a Grizzly jumped him. He was torn up before his friends could scare the bear off.

The next year he was pretty spooked and decided to rent a couple horses, figuring the horses would raise heck if a bear came around and he would have a chance to exit stage left.

As he rode through a clearing leading his pack horse, he realized he was between a sow grizzly and her cub. The cub squealed she charged the horses took off running. So far so good.

But his horse started to buck and he fell off.......well all of him except his foot caught in the stirrup. The horse ran through the trees and bush and he got beat up before is foot finally let go. The horse took off with his rifle and he was in bad shape anyway. Luckily the bear gave up the chase early on. He climbed down off the mountain and bought a window mount for his spotting scope.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-06-2016, 09:42 AM

/\ That guy has earned the right to "road hunt" from his truck, lol.