Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-01-2016, 08:43 AM

Default hunting boots

I know it has been beat to death, over and over, and over again, about what brand is the best, but this is a bit different search.
I am not a fan of goretex. I hate it actually! I have such poor circulation in my feet from 30 years of wearing rubber boots in packing plants, that my feet sweat extensively, and before long the goretex is an ugly, smelly, rotting mess.
I prefer good old straight leather lined boots. The type that use to be so common from meindle, Lowas, and the like. Who still makes them?
I had a few pair of Lowas, that are now on their last miles, and I am even down to buying used off of ebay and forums such as this. Anything but goretex lined! Who still makes a decent boot without goretex, and where can I see them for purchase?
Old 09-01-2016, 10:21 AM

Hanwag makes a model called the Yukon. Good boot and no goretex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2016, 12:19 PM

Very difficult to find a good boot without Gore-tex these days, but there are some. I went through a ton of research last year when deciding on my boots, here are the ones i found to be the best.

Vasque makes their Breeze 2.0 without gore-tex, probably one of the most breathable leather boots out there.

Meindl also makes a boot without gore-tex, their Bernina 2 line. More of a traditional rugged leather boot.

Scarpa's SL Activ boot was the most comfortable in my opinion, also without gore-tex.

Give each a quick google search if you like and check them out.
Hope this helped
Old 09-01-2016, 01:01 PM

http://www.kenetrek.com/
Old 09-01-2016, 01:29 PM

Both Lowa and Hanwag make leather lined boots, although you may have to mail order them from the States. I much prefer leather on the inside and my water proofing on the outside as well.

https://www.bakershoe.com/

http://www.campsaver.com/

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-01-2016, 01:45 PM

I use muck "chore" boots and a sturdy Merrill hiker when weather allows.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Hanwag makes a model called the Yukon. Good boot and no goretex.

I'm on my second pair of Han wags and they both lasted me about 7 years and that's wearing them every day . Also they are RCMP issued I beleive , seen a couple RCMP wearing them , the fellow at TRAC and trail who sells them told me RCMP's come in to buy them . They are hand made in a small village in Germany
Old 09-01-2016, 02:04 PM

Default boots

I have had them all Meinrels, Kenetrek, salomon and I always revert back to my HANWAGS. BEST BOOT FOR THE MONEY BY FAR. I have never had a blister with these boots and they take minimal break in time. my best buds just bought Lowas and loves them. But i will only buy Hangs.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:09 PM
Banned

I have had Lowa GTX Mid for I think 3 years now, they are an unbeatable everyday use, mild hiking / backpacking boot. No wear-in, comfortable beyond belief, reasonably supportive, did I mention more comfortable than any other footwear I have ever owned.

I just bought a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX Hi boots. They seem great so far, but I will know more by the end of the season. I ordered them from www.campsaver.com but found out I would have been just as well off finding a Canadian supplier.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Banned

Not many boots out there will beat Han wag on durability and comfort
Old 09-01-2016, 05:57 PM

Default side-tracking!!

The original post was a quest looking for boots WITHOUT goretex lining. Leather only!
I currently own all the majors, but struggle to find boots with only leather liners.
To those of you who were kind enough to suggest options, any idea where to shop for them?
Old 09-01-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I have had Lowa GTX Mid for I think 3 years now, they are an unbeatable everyday use, mild hiking / backpacking boot. No wear-in, comfortable beyond belief, reasonably supportive, did I mention more comfortable than any other footwear I have ever owned.

I just bought a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX Hi boots. They seem great so far, but I will know more by the end of the season. I ordered them from www.campsaver.com but found out I would have been just as well off finding a Canadian supplier.
X2. I also have the Lowa Tibet GTX and they're amazing. Hanwag spawned from Lowa due to a family argument. It looks to me like Hanwag are more easily available, a bit cheaper on apples-to-apples models, but aren't as well made as the Lowa models either. Both good boots, but the edge goes to Lowa IMO.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:06 PM
Banned

I've had a pair of rockys now for 7 years still amazing boot I can't read what model they are though
Old 09-01-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
The original post was a quest looking for boots WITHOUT goretex lining. Leather only!

I currently own all the majors, but struggle to find boots with only leather liners.

To those of you who were kind enough to suggest options, any idea where to shop for them?

Hanwags can be bought at Monods in Banff, track and trail in Edmonton.
I believe Jim bows archery also carries some, not sure which models.
I also bought a pair from Lathrop and Sons in the USA.
Backcountry sports in Ft St. John now carries Hanwag as well.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:13 PM

Default Other HanWag Retailers

Try Norsemen Outdoors in Calgary. I'd call to see what he has in stock first.
Valhalla Pure also shows a good selection.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-01-2016, 10:32 PM

Fit will determine the brand that works best for your feet, but Lowa makes a number of leather lined models - Tibet, Camino, and Renegade to name a few. Try Milarm, Crown Surplus, and Wolverine to list a few Alberta shops. If they don't have them they can get them. Number of shops in BC too.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 09-01-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Fit will determine the brand that works best for your feet, but Lowa makes a number of leather lined models - Tibet, Camino, and Renegade to name a few. Try Milarm, Crown Surplus, and Wolverine to list a few Alberta shops. If they don't have them they can get them. Number of shops in BC too.
We can get any of the Lowa boots with a leather liner at MilArm. We don't keep inventory of leather lined boots but a special order would take about 1 week. The tibet is my favourite boot of all time. It would be my recommendation.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:41 AM

"Live out there" downtown Calgary has a good selection including Hanwags. Online they don't have Hanwags but lots of other brands for 20% of first order. That's where I bought my Scarpas for $80 cheaper than anywhere else.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:55 PM

Default goretex

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball View Post
We can get any of the Lowa boots with a leather liner at MilArm. We don't keep inventory of leather lined boots but a special order would take about 1 week. The tibet is my favourite boot of all time. It would be my recommendation.
so are you saying that all it takes is to special order them?
I went to look at previews for the tibet and the renegade, both of which I had previously owned, and the listed lining is Goretex. I know for fact that my first pair of renegades was leather lined for sure, but discontinued.
I still have a pair of Tibets, as well as Hanwags (which I incidently love, just would prefer not with the goretex liner).
Old 09-06-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
so are you saying that all it takes is to special order them?
I went to look at previews for the tibet and the renegade, both of which I had previously owned, and the listed lining is Goretex. I know for fact that my first pair of renegades was leather lined for sure, but discontinued.
I still have a pair of Tibets, as well as Hanwags (which I incidently love, just would prefer not with the goretex liner).
Yes, just give us a call at 780-424-5281 and we can get a pair ordered for you. They have plenty leather lined boots in stock in Canada.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:30 AM

I wear boots from LL Bean called the Maine hunting shoe. Light weight and durable. If you keep the leather uppers well treated, they will last for years. I have 2 pairs now. One pair lined and the other not. They have a soft rubber sole so you can feel the ground beneath your feet. Even at -30 they stay soft, flexible and quiet. Thin cotton socks and a pair of heavy wool socks do the trick for me. They come in several heights from your ankle to your kneeds.