Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-28-2016, 09:43 PM

Default US military sleep system

Hi guys just been looking on amazon at the surplus US military sleep system with the dual bags and goretex cover. Just wondering if anyone has had one and if they like it? Or if someone recommends something else for similar price aprox 200. Thanks
Old 08-28-2016, 10:01 PM

Default Sleeping bags

There's someone on kijiji selling those, you could go take a look in person.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:19 PM

Used one in the army for 6 years. It's one piece of gear I wish I had "lost" when doing my final turn in. The ability to sleep with just the warm weather portion, cold weather or both makes it very versatile. Mine was the digital acu gortex cover which didn't make any difference but the bdu or dcu ones would suffice just as nicely. For the right price you can't go wrong unless your looking for a bag that takes up very little room.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:45 PM

Ok thanks guys taking a look on kijiji now
Old 08-28-2016, 10:56 PM

I have one, like it a lot...just wish it was square bottomed rather than tapered. I haven't taken it out in real cold, but it was around freezing when I used mine and I was sweating. Too big and bulky to be much of a back pack hunting bag in my mind.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:41 PM

I have two, and no I'm not parting with either. Like them a lot, warm, versatile, well made, but they are a bit heavy. I take mine sheep hunting with the intermediate bag and bivy. Or late season in a wall tent without the bivy, we usually follow the rule first to wake up due to the cold stokes the fire, I rarely stoke the fire unless Im getting up to ****.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:10 PM

I own a couple of them. They are definitely warm and quality made. However they are very heavy by any backpackers standards, if you are packing it there are better options.

Ken
Old 08-29-2016, 10:29 PM

Default The Guy On kijiji Is Great With As New Bags Often

The guy on Kijiji is reliable and quick delivery MSS systems in great if not new condition.
I have bought two on two different occasions and very happy, except they were laundered in something fragranced so I had to air them out considerably before I could use them.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:36 PM

Default Backpacking? MSS Is Much More Than A Sleeping Bag I Think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
I own a couple of them. They are definitely warm and quality made. However they are very heavy by any backpackers standards, if you are packing it there are better options.

Ken
Not necessarily light but I would not want anything else caught somewhere in a snowstorm.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:48 PM

I grabbed one new off amazon might try that guy on kijiji if i like it enough to get another. He ships to etown so thats nice. It should cut down on weight a bit if you leave the light one behind for a quick hunt or isnt it that big of a difference? Mine should be here in a week or two.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxie View Post
I have two, and no I'm not parting with either. Like them a lot, warm, versatile, well made, but they are a bit heavy. I take mine sheep hunting with the intermediate bag and bivy. Or late season in a wall tent without the bivy, we usually follow the rule first to wake up due to the cold stokes the fire, I rarely stoke the fire unless Im getting up to ****.
You just use the bivy not tent? You set up a tarp over you for rain? I may have to explore this some time...
Old 08-30-2016, 05:59 AM

Army surplus in Radwater just 40 min north of Edmonton.
This is where I buy all my core-tex hunting pants around $60.
I did see he had those pads to go under a sleeping bag for $20.00
Not sure of the prices of the sleeping bags.
Give him a call 780-669-0492
Old 08-30-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman57 View Post
Not necessarily light but I would not want anything else caught somewhere in a snowstorm.
Well..... each to their own.... I take it you are considering the goretex bivy to be a shelter or part of a shelter system with a tarp? I use a tent myself.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:20 PM

Fart sacks! Love em
Old 09-06-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dynamite View Post
You just use the bivy not tent? You set up a tarp over you for rain? I may have to explore this some time...
The last two years I've ran just the bivy as my shelter, it's not for everyone. When I've gone with buddies who are using tents They've been envious at the end of the day when my shelter and sleep system is ready in 2 minutes, and I'm envious in the morning when we are getting dressed and he is getting ready in his dry tent and I'm getting ready on the frosty grass. Probably best practice is to put up a tarp, but I will say with this bivy I have ran into situations where I've been hiking all day in the rain, rolled out my sleep system in the rain no tarp, quickly stripped all my wet gear and put on dry underwear, jumped into the my sleeping sac, had it **** down on me all night which somtime in the morning turned to snow, and woke up with a inch of snow on me but I was dry with no condensation issues. I would say it's just another tool in the tool chest and isn't perfect for every situation