Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Homemade, this thread shows the process. Starting post#17.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=225180
wow

ya i'm into it, but not nearly that much that i would forge my own badass spear! but it did turn out beautiful
Old 08-24-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Oooh there she is, that big antelope slayin stainless barreled 700! Still lookin good buddy woowoo!
Nope that's my 280AI on a Rem 700.

The antelope killer is this one.

That's my Sako AV in .25-06.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-24-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Love all those lefty guns Dick , is the pump lefty as well? I have the same in 270 if so .
All stock excepting the shortened tube, and recoil pad. I might buy a lefty safety for it, but it's easier to run the slide at "half mast."

There are no absolutes
Old 08-24-2016, 07:18 PM
Banned

Default This gun ain't a weapon.

But it will be my hunting pardner this season. Browning B78, chambered in the all mighty and venerable 30-06.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:18 AM

I guess all the bird hunters are already out fixing their blinds. Just one more week to go!!

[IMG]image upload no registration[/IMG]

and here is my Sako "if it hops, it drops" rifle in .308win

[IMG]forum image hosting[/IMG]

Counting down to the seconds, good luck "Y'all"!
Old 08-25-2016, 02:58 AM

Last edited by West O'5; 08-25-2016 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:02 AM

Old 08-25-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushnell View Post
I don't have a weapon, I have a tool to harvest my game.
x2

For me its one of my Sako m75 rifles. Depends on the caliber I want to hunt with
Old 08-25-2016, 10:07 PM

PSE Vendetta, but recently installed new Vortex Viper 4-12-40 PA on my browning A bolt 30-06. Cant wait to see what kind of closer grouping I can achieve.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:12 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey50BMG View Post

338 Lapua Improved.
Thing of beauty!! she is a beast!
Old 08-27-2016, 09:22 AM

Not fancy but it works well for me. Taken; deer, elk, moose, sheep and goat.....too much gun for antelope though LOL.

Tikka T3 Lite 300wsm
Old 08-29-2016, 02:22 PM

Very nice to all!
Old 08-29-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushnell View Post
I don't have a weapon, I have a tool to harvest my game.
I've seen that obfuscation before, and never understood the thinking behind it. What's the fear of calling your gun or bow or spear a weapon? The definition of weapons is not something exclusively used to kill people (go read any of the half dozen you can find online). We are talking about "tool" you use in hunting... to kill an animal. That's a weapon. What's next? "Oh I don't kill animals. I just go to the outdoor store", pretending that there is a difference.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I've seen that obfuscation before, and never understood the thinking behind it. What's the fear of calling your gun or bow or spear a weapon? The definition of weapons is not something exclusively used to kill people (go read any of the half dozen you can find online). We are talking about "tool" you use in hunting... to kill an animal. That's a weapon. What's next? "Oh I don't kill animals. I just go to the outdoor store", pretending that there is a difference.
my thoughts exactly. Hunting weapons are weapons designed or used primarily for hunting game animals for food or sport, as distinct from defensive weapons or weapons used primarily in warfare. Although I do enjoy to see the military surplus finding a home in the hunting community.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:17 PM

My weapon on choice is my m1 garand.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:47 PM
Banned

Once I figure this site out and pictures il post them but
Number 1-is my Hoyt nitrum 70lb rip cord red, spot hog hunter Easton fmj topped with grim reaper
Number 2- weatherby vanguard topped with 3x9by40 leupold vx1 7mm rem 154 interlock
Number 3- 1980s Remington 700 bdl topped with 3x9by40 leupold vx1 165 partition
Old 08-31-2016, 07:40 PM

My weapon of choice is my dads old 303 sporter. I recently rescoped it with a 3-9x40, nothing expensive, but it puts holes in beating hearts like nobody's business. Chocked up 3 hearts last year and finished off another. Smooth as butter, accurate, and does all the right things in all the right ways.

Was neglected for many year so it's not pretty, it's rusty but trusty.
Honestly one of the loves of my life.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:48 PM

I don't know how to post photos, but I shoot at Winchester Model 70 in 7mm rem mag.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:52 PM

This one is slowly but surely making it's way to the top of my favorite list.
It's a .338-06 on a Mauser 3000 LH action. The stock was purchased as a blank from a fellow A/O member, as was the Mauser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bog Pod 001 (640x480).jpg (90.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 08-31-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
This one is slowly but surely making it's way to the top of my favorite list.
It's a .338-06 on a Mauser 3000 LH action. The stock was purchased as a blank from a fellow A/O member, as was the Mauser.
Super nice rifle, Salavee. If we had an icon for drooling, Id be using it!
Old 08-31-2016, 08:10 PM

Okay Bushnell, Gitrdun et al, so they're "tools" for "harvesting" game... You guys make it sound like you're digging these critters out of the garden... Insecure much
Old 08-31-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBearSouth View Post
My weapon of choice is my dads old 303 sporter. I recently rescoped it with a 3-9x40, nothing expensive, but it puts holes in beating hearts like nobody's business. Chocked up 3 hearts last year and finished off another. Smooth as butter, accurate, and does all the right things in all the right ways.

Was neglected for many year so it's not pretty, it's rusty but trusty.
Honestly one of the loves of my life.
Yep, those .303 still put em down just the same. Mine is sportized with a modest scope as well and is suprisingly accurate for such an old gun.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:32 AM

Interesting calibre for a Ruger No. 1. Any special reason you went with a .303? Nothing wrong with that calibre in my mind, it's been around for ever and is pretty tried and true.... A lot of us had the SMLE as our first rifle, couldn't beat the price at ~$50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Ruger single shot in 303 Brit - I never get tired of showing this one off!
Cat

Old 09-01-2016, 09:35 AM

Default My Favs

1. A Savage Arms 7mm-08 during rifle season and,
2. An Excalibur Phoenix Crossbow during all hunting seasons (I am a disabled hunter, only saying to bypass the comments).
I'm not sure yet which is my favorite as I enjoy the hunt either way.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Interesting calibre for a Ruger No. 1. Any special reason you went with a .303? Nothing wrong with that calibre in my mind, it's been around for ever and is pretty tried and true.... A lot of us had the SMLE as our first rifle, couldn't beat the price at ~$50.
When I decided to build an English style stalking rifle on an " extra" Ruger single shot action , I put it out there on Several various single shot forums as to what the orher single shot aficionados would do if given the choice .

I stated that a rimmed cartridge was pretty much mandatory however because rims and single shots are both historically correct!
One of the members on the 24hr Campfire stated that because I was a Canuck there was only one choice that made sense - and he was right!

The 303 British has more than enough energy to kill the largest critters one will encounter in North America at reasonable hunting distances, has a tremendous reputation in Canada, and is just plain classy!

This rifle BTW was the original idea that spawned the Ruger No.1A thanks to CLAY SMILEY of Prophet River when he listened to those here and on CGN who said they would love a Ruger in 303. It was he that lobbied Ruger to do it !
This rifle BTW is actually a number 3 action, the only difference between the two is the cocking lever but mine had been further modified when Bill Lerper built the rifle .

The quarter rib is also milled right into the half round/ half octagon barrel instead if being installed with screws as a seperate piece!t
Cat
Old 09-01-2016, 09:47 AM

Old 09-01-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
When I decided to build an English style stalking rifle on an " extra" Ruger single shot action , I put it out there on Several various single shot forums as to what the orher single shot aficionados would do if given the choice .

I stated that a rimmed cartridge was pretty much mandatory however because rims and single shots are both historically correct!
One of the members on the 24hr Campfire stated that because I was a Canuck there was only one choice that made sense - and he was right!

The 303 British has more than enough energy to kill the largest critters one will encounter in North America at reasonable hunting distances, has a tremendous reputation in Canada, and is just plain classy!

This rifle BTW was the original idea that spawned the Ruger No.1A thanks to CLAY SMILEY of Prophet River when he listened to those here and on CGN who said they would love a Ruger in 303. It was he that lobbied Ruger to do it !
This rifle BTW is actually a number 3 action, the only difference between the two is the cocking lever but mine had been further modified when Bill Lerper built the rifle .

The quarter rib is also milled right into the half round/ half octagon barrel instead if being installed with screws as a seperate piece!t
Cat
Great looking rifle and as I mentioned, a lot of us of the "older" generation grew up with a 303. That caliber has probably killed every species of game in N America and around the world.

Too many, in my opinion, these days need the newest and greatest rifle and cartridge. My Dad's old 300 Savage in the 99EG model has done everything asked of it, and my go to rifle is an older Winchester MDL 70 Featherweight in 270. Are either of those the best caliber? To each their own, but I shoot them well and would not hesitate to "do what I have to" with either.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2016, 02:43 PM

Totally agree , the 303 Brit has been one of my favourite cartridges for over 40 years , love it!
Cat
Old 09-01-2016, 02:59 PM

Usually these but there's more.

IMG_0494.jpg
Old 09-02-2016, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Totally agree , the 303 Brit has been one of my favourite cartridges for over 40 years , love it!
Cat
Well, I wasn't going to post this pic again... but I think you've posted those pics of your #1 more than I've posted this pic of my Hawken. I plan on using it for most of my hunting this year.