Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 PM

Default Getting Scoped, Interesting Day

Had a great day hunting today until the last half hour or so. Working my way along a right of way when someone a couple hundred yards always stands up and has a look at me through his rifle scope as I watch him through my binos. Nearly crap myself and slip into the bush ASAP. Managed to run into him and had a rather heated confrontation at his truck a short time later. First time it has happened to me that I have been aware of. Anyone else have this happen to them?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:51 PM

Default yup

Its happened to me a pair of times, both times I was in blaze orange. I don't know why people are so afraid to carry binos or in the very least wait until you are sure what you are looking at.

Morb
Old 10-04-2013, 11:08 PM

It happened to a hunting partner, but he wouldn't tell me, until we had left the area, as he knew that if I had known about it, I would not have let the idiot get away with it.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:24 PM

Yup. My hunting partner wouldn't let me go over there and shove his scope up his ass.... So turned to Bow hunting.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:25 PM

I've been shot at once (in the bow zone no less), shot towards once (bullets within 20 yards and also in the bow zone), and scoped once (It was actually one of my partners that did it). I don't hunt with him anymore for obvious reasons.
I remember thinking "wow his eyeball looks huge!" right before my other partner knocked the rifle down to prevent him from squeezing the trigger.
Come to think of it, that old buddy doesn't hunt at all anymore which is good for everyone!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:36 PM

Never had it happen to me (that I am aware of). I can understand why guys cant carry even a cheap set of binos to have a quick look before they shoulder the rifle.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:16 AM

Default Yup

2x .
Once in Hunter valley some jerk sitting on the top of a cut line while I was bringing a deer back on my quad. Stopped and shared a few choice words about safety and ethics. Also in 304 on a ranch heard a shot walked out into the open meadow and a guy is sitting on a horse with his gun pointed at me 500 to 600 yards away .Fortunate for him I never caught him . I only carry my Leica range finder but it's more than enough to verify what I am looking at 8x and I know the range also I honestly think that anyone that scope someone should be band from owning a gun.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:35 AM

"Googled" Cdn Law about pointing a firearm and found this.....

87 Pointing a firearm

87. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, points a firearm at another person, whether the firearm is loaded or unloaded.

Punishment

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Banned

Default Ooops I misunderstood

I thought scoped meant that lovely half circle cut near your eybrow that most of us have had. Was hoping for funny pics. Nothing funny about pointing guns at people.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Banned

Default scoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Had a great day hunting today until the last half hour or so. Working my way along a right of way when someone a couple hundred yards always stands up and has a look at me through his rifle scope as I watch him through my binos. Nearly crap myself and slip into the bush ASAP. Managed to run into him and had a rather heated confrontation at his truck a short time later. First time it has happened to me that I have been aware of. Anyone else have this happen to them?
How did the conversation go? Just interested...
Old 10-05-2013, 11:10 AM

I've been scoped and shot, so I might overreact!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Binos Binos Binos. I've been that guy once and learned a lesson when trying to get a better look at a deer. It saw me move! It's much easier to be discrete with Binos. If guys don't carry Binos don't hunt with them. Seeing that big eye cannot be comforting!!! Safe endeavors to all!

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
How did the conversation go? Just interested...
I couldn't retell due to coarse language but he got my point and realized what he did was very wrong. The use of binoculars instead of a rifle scope to identify something was the main topic of the discussion. He said he wouldn't return to hunt in that spot again.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Yup.
Fun eh?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:34 AM

We were on horse back near cadomin and were chasing elk. i am always nervous hunting on horse back where quads are allowed as horse are usually not that common. we made sure we had orange coats on and even leave a reflective vest on our horses when we would tie off and walk. anyways we came out on a cut line and i saw some movement in the corner of my eye. Two hunters were walking up the line. They actually stopped when they heard us coming and just as one guy was about to raise his rifle we heard the other guy quickly tell him "horses...horses" we walked over to them and thanked them for being on the ball. It was a positive experience but I will never forget that feeling when I turned and saw them on the line.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:45 AM

You dont even need to be out in the bush to have that happen...I stopped into Wholesale yesterday and the hammer behind the counter was showing a fellow a pistol and he was pointing it out towards customers, including myself as he was messing with the slide...
Old 10-06-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
You dont even need to be out in the bush to have that happen...I stopped into Wholesale yesterday and the hammer behind the counter was showing a fellow a pistol and he was pointing it out towards customers, including myself as he was messing with the slide...
had that happen at cabelas few weeks ago i lookd up an seen the big eye of somone tryn out a scoped rifle in the store . i just lookd at the sales guy . an he realized where the gun was being pointed an took it away fron customer . first time i ever had a gun pointed at me even being in a store i still almost hit the ground.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:18 AM

That sucks, mainly because its usual to carry and extra pair of gonch.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
I thought scoped meant that lovely half circle cut near your eybrow that most of us have had. Was hoping for funny pics. Nothing funny about pointing guns at people.
X 2!

I was gonna suggest you shoot a lighter recoiling gun or get a scope with a little more generous eye relief
Old 10-06-2013, 11:23 AM

A few years back, I was walking back to my vehicle down a cutline. I am in full camo, with a set of rattling antlers around my neck, it's past shooting time. Truck full of drunks pull up and stop. Guns are then pointed out the window. I drop the antlers and book it into the bush. I get to my vehicle. Which they are now parked beside. I told them exactly what I thought of them. They leave. Too close for comfort.

However, I'm worth more dead than alive. My wife is still young enough and attractive enough to find a second husband. I would rather go with a bullet through the vitals than rot away with lung cancer
Old 10-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
How tough is it for a retailer to pick a safe spot in the store and have ALL firearms pointed there?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-06-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
How tough is it for a retailer to pick a safe spot in the store and have ALL firearms pointed there?
Not tough to pick a spot but it is tough to get all customers to comply, It is even tougher to get sales staff to always mention same especially when there are so many experts out there who do not wish to be told anything by inexperienced sales staff.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:45 PM

I posted this in another thread......I think it's a good idea.

Honestly I would love to see the firearms shops install targets up on the wall behind the counter and instruct anyone handling a firearm to ONLY point it in an upwards direction towards the target....

This would be a welcome addition to any gun counter and would promote the highest level of safety near a gun counter....

People handling firearms SHOULD know not to point any firearm at any thing unless they are prepared to shoot it....

The prospective buyer could easily be instructed to only point the muzzle end upwards at a 90 degree angle to the floor and if they want to shoulder it they can but they must only point towards the targets mounted higher on the wall....

Heck at the rifle rodeo in Drayton that was the rule and EVERYONE adhered to it.... carrying the rifle, action open, barrel up in a single hand, no fingers even near a trigger with the amount of people and activity around there was the best bet....did I mention EVERYONE could follow that simple rule?

My 2 cents for the day on the topic...

LC
Old 10-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I posted this in another thread......I think it's a good idea.

Honestly I would love to see the firearms shops install targets up on the wall behind the counter and instruct anyone handling a firearm to ONLY point it in an upwards direction towards the target....

This would be a welcome addition to any gun counter and would promote the highest level of safety near a gun counter....

People handling firearms SHOULD know not to point any firearm at any thing unless they are prepared to shoot it....

The prospective buyer could easily be instructed to only point the muzzle end upwards at a 90 degree angle to the floor and if they want to shoulder it they can but they must only point towards the targets mounted higher on the wall....

Heck at the rifle rodeo in Drayton that was the rule and EVERYONE adhered to it.... carrying the rifle, action open, barrel up in a single hand, no fingers even near a trigger with the amount of people and activity around there was the best bet....did I mention EVERYONE could follow that simple rule?

My 2 cents for the day on the topic...

LC
WSS in Lethbridge has such a target . It is up next to the ceiling paralell to the gun counter .