Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Location: Half an hour west of Leduc, 10 minutes south of Genesee Power.
Default Excess Deer -- hunters wanted.

I'm on the edge of the Genesee Project. We have *way* too many deer in the area. I would be pleased to permit hunting on my 80 acres. Last year I had 3 hunters visit. All got arrived just before sunset, all got their deer in twilight.

Conditions:

Only one party at a time.

You must check in and check out so I know you are here.

I'll do a walk around with you the first time, so you know which directions are safe to shoot.

I request that you do inital cleaning here at a designated location so the blood scent will discourage deer from eating my trees. I'll even help with my loader so that you can bleed it properly.

Location: From St. Francis, 1 mile east, half a mile north. West side.

Sherwood of Sherwood's Forests.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM

This is awesome of you to do this for people. If only I was anywhere near Leduc.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 PM

Which wmu are you located in? If it is one of the 300 zones I may be interested in shooting some whitetail does?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 PM

Here come the pms.......
Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
I'm on the edge of the Genesee Project. We have *way* too many deer in the area. I would be pleased to permit hunting on my 80 acres. Last year I had 3 hunters visit. All got arrived just before sunset, all got their deer in twilight.

Conditions:

I'll do a walk around with you the first time, so you know which directions are safe to shoot.

I request that you do inital cleaning here at a designated location so the blood scent will discourage deer from eating my trees. I'll even help with my loader so that you can bleed it properly.

Treefarmer, I doubt I will ever take advantage of your offer (distance), but want to say thanks for offering this opportunity to AO Forum members.

I would also like to comment that I think your conditions for access are reasonable and should be completely acceptable by any ethical hunter.

Cheers.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudelpointer View Post
treefarmer, i doubt i will ever take advantage of your offer (distance), but want to say thanks for offering this opportunity to ao forum members.

I would also like to comment that i think your conditions for access are reasonable and should be completely acceptable by any ethical hunter.

Cheers.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Thank you very much for the generous offer! My brother and I can arrive on Monday morning, October 8, 2012 to be exact.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 PM

I have my mule deer doe draw and cow elk draw for 334. I normally hunt just south of Warburg. I would love the chance to hunt out at your place. Not sure what WMU you are in. Please let me know so I can see if that is a go / no-go on whitetail does as a few areas removed the supplemental antlerless white tail tags. . But there is always the buck to get as well.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

PM sent
Old 10-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Banned

Default Blood

Awesome offer treefarmer. Good to see people open up on here and request hunters. As for the blood smell, It doesn't chase deer away. Death is natural to them. The only thing your gonna get is coyotes. That might scare the deer a bit. having guys on there putting them down is your best bet.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
I would also like to comment that I think your conditions for access are reasonable and should be completely acceptable by any ethical hunter.

Cheers.
X2.....great thing you are doing!

LC
Old 10-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Outfitters View Post
Thank you very much for the generous offer! My brother and I can arrive on Monday morning, October 8, 2012 to be exact.
....might want to confirm it is open on the morning of October 8th....assuming you are not bowhunting....

White-tailed Deer Antlered/Antlerless

Archery Only S1 - O31

General N1 - N30
310, 312, 314, 318, 320, 322, 324, 332, 334, 336, 337, 338, 348

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 10-05-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:17 PM

Might have to make plans with my Grandpa, though he might want to yak your ear off about tree farming. He had Alta-Pine in Calmar for years and now lives in Leduc, he might enjoy a day trip close to home.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM

Default Tonight if you like

My wife and I will come out if that's ok I will bow hunt my wife has a treaty card so she can shoot deer with a rifle
Old 10-05-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
General N1 - N30
Thank you very much for the clarification. I should have checked the map and figured out the WMU location based on the location provided above.

If you are writing down names for November ( 1st or 2nd ). Would it be possible add me and my brother to your list.
Please send me a PM if you need our name, phone numbers and vehicle information.

Thanks again for the offer.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:30 PM

PLEASE DO NOT PM ME. Rather, send me an email at

sgbotsford@gmail.com 780 848 2548

or phone me between 8 and 9 a.m. or between 7 and 9 p.m.

Email preferred.

I find the pm interface a pain to use.

More information: The land is largely open pasture, with a few shelterbelts. There is a deer trail (freeway...) between bush land to the south, which I don't own, across my land to bush further north.

Hunters in the past have just parked their bodies on the fence line 70 yards or so down from the trail, waited for the deer to jump the fence, and bang! Much like shooting fish in a barrel. There isn't much cover for bow hunting.

If you want to scout, email me, with the time you'd like to come out.

I don't know what WMU I'm in. I'm not a hunter. Yet.

Species: It's mostly whitetail. But my dog brought home a foreleg that is awfully big for a white tail. So there may be mule deer in the area that I've not noticed. Or perhaps he found a moose calf leg.

Dates: November 1-8 are booked. Other things happening here. October is open to the 26th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post

Conditions:

Old 10-05-2012, 03:35 PM

Good on you!! You may be hearing from me!! This province needs more folks like yourself!! Thanks!!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:37 PM

If I understand your description correctly....you are in WMU 334.

Archery only season runs right up to October 31.

General season (rifles) starts November 1st to 30th.

LC
Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Very nice offer indeed!!!!....sounds like a great place for youth or mobility impaired hunters????
Old 10-05-2012, 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=Treefarmer;1635475]PLEASE DO NOT PM ME. Rather, send me an email at

sgbotsford@gmail.com 780 848 2548

or phone me between 8 and 9 a.m. or between 7 and 9 p.m.

Email preferred.

I find the pm interface a pain to use.

More information: The land is largely open pasture, with a few shelterbelts. There is a deer trail (freeway...) between bush land to the south, which I don't own, across my land to bush further north.

Hunters in the past have just parked their bodies on the fence line 70 yards or so down from the trail, waited for the deer to jump the fence, and bang! Much like shooting fish in a barrel. There isn't much cover for bow hunting.

Just for fun for this saying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Y5XjlO4vk
Old 10-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Just a heads up for everyone. The supplemental antlerless whitetail tags are no longer valid in WMU 334. New as of this year.

Treefarmer. I might get in touch with your later. Will all depend on how my hunting out west goes till November
Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
Just a heads up for everyone. The supplemental antlerless whitetail tags are no longer valid in WMU 334. New as of this year.

Treefarmer. I might get in touch with your later. Will all depend on how my hunting out west goes till November
Another good point!....general white-tail tags it is!

From the regs,
(1) The Supplemental Antlerless White-tailed Deer Licence will be issued with 2 tags and is valid only in WMUs 300, 310-314, 322-332, 336-340, 344-357 and 360.

LC
Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 PM

Thank you very much for giving everyone this opportunity! You've got an email inbound from me.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Gone Hunting

What a generous offer!

I wish I lived close, I would offer to tutor any inexperienced hunter who wished to take you up on that offer.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Banned

Nice offer. Way to go!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 PM

Default Hoofrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
I have my mule deer doe draw and cow elk draw for 334. I normally hunt just south of Warburg. I would love the chance to hunt out at your place. Not sure what WMU you are in. Please let me know so I can see if that is a go / no-go on whitetail does as a few areas removed the supplemental antlerless white tail tags. . But there is always the buck to get as well.
Please... Take the *(&(*& does. They are the ones that reproduce. The bucks only screw.

Treefarmers have a word for deer: Hoof-rat.

Here's what happened. About 200 square km have been depopulated for hte Genesee power project. At any given time about 15 of those are in some part of strip mining. The rest are in crops, or reclamation. NO PEOPLE. The power people only allow bow hunting and black powder hunting. The hoofrats are winning. Three years ago I came over the hill and saw 80 deer on my back 40. No joke. The bad winter culled them pretty severely but I've got 3 coyote dens withing half a mile. THEY are eating the Queen's venison. (Leave the coyotes alone. They eat mice and rabbits, two other pests.)
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM

Whew! I'm run off my feet!

More notes: Give me 2-3 days when you could come. I'm assuming that you want to be here just for the evening hunt. (1 hour before sunset to end of dusk.) unless you say otherwise.

You should plan to come scout first. That way, I can give your slot to someone else if you decide it's too open.

If you don't get a deer in your first attempt, you can have any open slot remaining. So far morning slots aren't going fast.

If you want to look us up on Google Maps, google "Sherwood's Forests Tree Farm"

Legally we are: S/2 NE/4 2-50-3 W5

The bush by the house (eastern end) is not huntable. (I've got dogs)
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM

Whew! I'm run off my feet!

More notes: Give me 2-3 days when you could come. I'm assuming that you want to be here just for the evening hunt. (1 hour before sunset to end of dusk.) unless you say otherwise.

You should plan to come scout first. That way, I can give your slot to someone else if you decide it's too open.

If you don't get a deer in your first attempt, you can have any open slot remaining. So far morning slots aren't going fast.

If you want to look us up on Google Maps, google "Sherwood's Forests Tree Farm"

Legally we are: S/2 NE/4 2-50-3 W5

The bush by the house (eastern end) is not huntable. (I've got dogs, and I'm cutting firewood.)
Old 10-06-2012, 04:14 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Treefarmer;1635778]Please... Take the *(&(*& does. They are the ones that reproduce. The bucks only screw.

Treefarmers have a word for deer: Hoof-rat.

Here's what happened. About 200 square km have been depopulated for hte Genesee power project. At any given time about 15 of those are in some part of strip mining. The rest are in crops, or reclamation. NO PEOPLE. The power people only allow bow hunting and black powder hunting. The hoofrats are winning. Three years ago I came over the hill and saw 80 deer on my back 40. No joke. The bad winter culled them pretty severely but I've got 3 coyote dens withing half a mile. THEY are eating the Queen's venison. (Leave the coyotes alone. They eat mice and rabbits, two other pests.)[/QUO

Last edited by Jimboy; 10-06-2012 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:09 AM

Let me know if you see mulies there.. I normally get my mulie doe about 1/2 mile from my in-laws. But I would drive out there with my father-in-law a few times to try to help you out if there are mulies there as well