Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2010, 03:39 PM

Default grims monster mix red eye

put out a pail 3 weeks ago the deer have totally stopped using the trail. only thing happening is one fat corn fed squirrel any one have better luck ?
Old 10-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Thats not very good advertising,,, but I suppose proclaiming your using an attractant during hunting season doesnt look too good either? Hope you find better luck, happy trails.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Was there anything in the pail?
Where do you live?
Have you got the number for Report a poacher?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-23-2010, 05:28 PM

hahaha , awesome question.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:35 PM

Ha ha. I love the irony that your attempt at baiting has failed. Its sucks that nature hasn't provided you with the simple "drive-thru" hunting experience that you apparently wanted.

Next time I suggest trying actual hunting.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:05 PM

Perhaps he is in Saskatchewan, where it is legal and acceptable to bait. Does that still make it wrong?
Old 10-23-2010, 07:58 PM

From what I have read he did not indicate where he resides and also what his intent was behind using the product. He could be trying to get photos or as was said might live in Saskatchewan.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 PM

5 people i know used that stuff had the same results, deer left the area stopped useing the trails, and we can legaly use it here in SK
Old 10-23-2010, 10:56 PM

Not to derail the post or anything ( although Big Buckin must have balls to write that on here if indeed he is from "Wild Rose Country" ), but I have a question:

Why is it legal in Sask to bait, but not here? Whats the diff? I thought there were more trophy whiteys there then here, do they want to make it easier for hunters to break that world record there?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Mostly because alot of the laws were written into the wildlife act at the time that were considered to be socially acceptable at that time. Some are for safety, some for wildlife management. Sask considered it an OK practice in the bush areas to use bait to hunt, Alberta must not have. Same as baiting bears, baiting for trapping, etc. Remember wildlife acts and Reg's are provincial.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:19 AM

Hopefully the OP comes back with an answer to the questions before we lynch him/her....

Any pics of the squirrel??
Old 10-24-2010, 11:56 AM

The funny thing is, even though you are not supposed to be using baits, minerals, etc, you can go down to your local hunting store and buy all of the above....
Old 10-24-2010, 12:20 PM

Default Baiting

For a guy that only has one post i would think he is just trying to stir the pot and **** some one off

But on a simaler note do you guys belive if baiting where legal here in Alberta that it would help with guys makeing better shots being more selictive when hunting assuming that the dear would come up to the bait and stop to eat so some of the less exprinenced hunts could judge horns etc and be sure they want to harveat the animal in question and be sure that say a buck is mature and ready for harvest i have always wondered this and would like to see what everyone else thinks
Old 10-24-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSasquatch View Post
The funny thing is, even though you are not supposed to be using baits, minerals, etc, you can go down to your local hunting store and buy all of the above....
Not supposed to be hunting over them. It isn't illegal to take pics or to give the animals some much needed minerals and nutrients over the winter.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUCKIN D View Post
put out a pail 3 weeks ago the deer have totally stopped using the trail. only thing happening is one fat corn fed squirrel any one have better luck ?
I tried a pail of that monster mix this summer and they loved it but it is way to much money for how long it lasts. It was gone in less than 2 weeks. I got probally 500 pics though so it was worth it. I will tell you what works for me.

I use minerals what really works well is "Rack Up", Can buy it in Bass Pro for 11.00/bag i think. 5 bags last me 2 months depending how hard the moose hit it. I get well over a couple thousand pics every year by doing this. Use the same spot every year also and close to water works the best. The Deer will realy hit the minerals realy hard from May to middle of Aug at the latest.

From Aug 1st to Aug 31st you will get pics but not that many and definatly
not any buck pictures. They quit using the licks from aug on,the bucks do.
I have been doing this for 5 years strait and its the same at all 3 of my licks.
Dont think for one min you can set up and kill a good deer over your lick for 2 reasons; #1 It is ILLEGAL & #2 You will wait a long time and see nothing but the od doe and small buck. If you want good pictures and loys of them get your lick,monstermix,what ever your using and get it out early and pull your cameras by sept 1st at the latest because otherwise in my opion your wasting batteries and minerals. Hope this helps., Also i realy find that your minerals DO make a difference in the Antler Growth. Good luck to you!!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:14 PM

grims is all i use for cam pics in the summer i have used both red eye and the reg blend they bothe worked well about 6 to 800 pics a week on some of my cams well worth the money i think imo and my budy in sask and friends in NB are useing it and love it
Old 11-22-2010, 03:28 AM

Thumbs up

I can't help but put in my 2 cents on this one. I guided in Saskatchewan for Whitetails and yes we DID use bait. Our hunters harvested lots of great Whitetails from the middle of forest country. If you have never baited, then you do not realize the amount of work that goes into using bait to harvest a quality Whitetail. Throwing out a bale and some grain in the middle of nowhere will harvest you nothing. It may get you some pictures, but that will be about it. I laugh at a few folks I work with that figured they'd shoot 180's every year if they used bait....one guy is on his forth season using bait (in Saskatchewan) and is yet to harvest a single animal (even though BIG deer are in the area). If you don't have things set up in the right spot, the big boys will not come out until darkness falls. Trust me on that one. As far as Alberta goes, I think they should adopt the baiting laws for Whitetails. I now live in Alberta and refuse to hunt Alberta due to 95% of "so called" hunters driving in their trucks and lobbing bullets at whatever they see no matter where they are at the time. Road hunters should be the ones getting put up on charges, not baiters. Alberta would be a lot safer if they would allow baits. It would cut down on road hunters blasting bullets first and looking for farm houses, oil wells, farm equipment, cows, etc. second. Besides, if you are willing to put the time and money in to keep up your stand, then by all means, you should be able to. What's the worst that happens? A pile of deer get free meals and you "might" get to harvest one? You're only allowed X amount of tags so why should you not have the option of how you'd like to go about filling it? Oh and IMO save your money on buying fancy bags of miracle mix and go with an old fashioned alfalfa square bale with a pale of oats dumped on top of it.