Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 01:55 PM

Default General whitetail wmu near calgary

Headed out to wmu 417,420, and 326 all of Yesterday for whitetail deer but had no success, only seen a handful of small does throughout the day. Any advice for a wmu,that's within a few hour drive from Calgary,with crown land that's open to a general tag would help(rifle). Not looking for specific spots just a general area of where to start. If you don't want to reveal your spots on this you could pm me. Might head back out to 417 again next week and 414/316 so any general tips on where to start out there would help. How's the deer population near transalta road?

Last edited by Newhunter1234; 09-18-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 09-18-2017, 02:39 PM

Anything close to Calgary gets hit hard.

If you are going to hunt the transalta road, be prepared to see OHV's, feral horses, etc. Be sure of your target and what is behind it.

The farther you get off the trails on foot the better success you'll have.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:43 PM

so you drove from one wmu to the other (probably in daylight) saw nothing and chocked it up to hunting? you for sure will see no mature bucks under these situations.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
so you drove from one wmu to the other (probably in daylight) saw nothing and chocked it up to hunting? you for sure will see no mature bucks under these situations.
No, I spent multiple hours in each area. Stopped the truck on trails and hiked around but didn't see much of anything.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhunter1234 View Post
No, I spent multiple hours in each area. Stopped the truck on trails and hiked around but didn't see much of anything.
at this time of year deer don't make a point of running around in daylight.
decide on a area you would like to focus on based on what you saw and focus on it. the bucks will turn up where the does are later in the season.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
at this time of year deer don't make a point of running around in daylight.
decide on a area you would like to focus on based on what you saw and focus on it. the bucks will turn up where the does are later in the season.
Alright thanks, and a noob question here but do deer generally come to where there is an open area like where the oil pipelines are off of highway 40(but deeper in, not beside the road) early morning or evening or should I avoid these clearings in general? Also while out I came Across fields that were logged in the past and there were just small trees on the floor but a generally open area away from the road, would deer be here early morning? Thanks for your help
Old 09-18-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Alright thanks, and a noob question here but do deer generally come to where there is an open area like where the oil pipelines are off of highway 40(but deeper in, not beside the road) early morning or evening or should I avoid these clearings in general? Also while out I came Across fields that were logged in the past and there were just small trees on the floor but a generally open area away from the road, would deer be here early morning? Thanks for your help
It rained/snowed late last week. You may be able to find signs (ie tracks) if you look far enough back, start with creek beds and go from there. I spent the weekend camped out looking for Muleys, because the ground was recently softened from the moisture there was all kinds of tracks. I found does bedded ( I drew an Antlered tag...) in low areas and evidence that the bucks must be traveling up higher (north of 6500 ft). Now I just need to wait for those bucks to come down after the does...lol. Also had an Elk bugling from the ridge above my tent site on Saturday night and saw his tracks the next morning. Also saw signs of Moose.

Like you, I am completely new at this, but if you can, I would recommend getting a small tent and walking in a bit for overnighters. Camp near where you suspect they will be and look for them at first light and last light. That is when I have seen the most Big Game.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwilson View Post
It rained/snowed late last week. You may be able to find signs (ie tracks) if you look far enough back, start with creek beds and go from there. I spent the weekend camped out looking for Muleys, because the ground was recently softened from the moisture there was all kinds of tracks. I found does bedded ( I drew an Antlered tag...) in low areas and evidence that the bucks must be traveling up higher (north of 6500 ft). Now I just need to wait for those bucks to come down after the does...lol. Also had an Elk bugling from the ridge above my tent site on Saturday night and saw his tracks the next morning. Also saw signs of Moose.

Like you, I am completely new at this, but if you can, I would recommend getting a small tent and walking in a bit for overnighters. Camp near where you suspect they will be and look for them at first light and last light. That is when I have seen the most Big Game.
Unfortunately camping won't work due to work so I'm stuck to just day trips out. Do you recommend any areas nearby calgary?
Old 09-18-2017, 06:18 PM

Deer are pretty much everywhere. If you actually spend any time outside your truck you WILL find game trails with fresh sign. Either setup there early morning or last hour of daylight... Or get a game cam. It will work for you 24/7 watching game. That's about the best advice I can give. Getting into hunting will be frustrating at first, but as time goes on, it will be very rewarding. It's how most of us have learned. Having someone show you exactly where the deer are and at what time, will give you very little reward.

Finding the location of your game IS hunting. Keep that in mind.

Thats just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwolf View Post
Deer are pretty much everywhere. If you actually spend any time outside your truck you WILL find game trails with fresh sign. Either setup there early morning or last hour of daylight... Or get a game cam. It will work for you 24/7 watching game. That's about the best advice I can give. Getting into hunting will be frustrating at first, but as time goes on, it will be very rewarding. It's how most of us have learned. Having someone show you exactly where the deer are and at what time, will give you very little reward.

Finding the location of your game IS hunting. Keep that in mind.

Thats just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks for the advice. Would you be able to answer my question from earlier?
Old 09-18-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
No one is going to give some random guy on the internet their spot. The advice is pick a spot and get to know that area, it doesn't really matter what zone as there are deer everywhere, know that spot and hunt it regularly and you'll learn and have success
Old 09-18-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately camping won't work due to work so I'm stuck to just day trips out. Do you recommend any areas nearby calgary?
That sucks. Unfortunately, I am too new to Calgary to be able to help you with that.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:19 PM

Default There's more to this

Your starting to give the impression here that you 'just want to shoot a buck'.
The name of the sport is hunting.

Big part of it is ..... patience and observation.

Buying some off the shelf hunting mags actually have some good whitetail insight.

You maybe would enjoy your 'hunting' experience if you dial back the urge to 'kill a buck'....(it's hard, I know... we all had it) and learn the skills of hunting.

You'll learn that the hunting part of hunting is far more enjoyable than the harvesting part.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-18-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Slough shark, this was the question I was asking him to answer. If you or anyone can give some insight that would be helpful.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:44 PM

Pipelines or grown up cut blocks do provide food sources, whether or not you'll find deer there depends on pressure. Look for areas that contain edges of types of habitats, once you're off the road a ways less moving is better, sit or move VERY slowly, look for sign wherever you are and keep location of trails in mind, learn your area and you'll have success
Old 09-18-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
My apologies Newhunter1234,

1- Leave Calgary West on HWY 2.
2- Turn South on HWY 22
3- Proceed through Bragg Creek
4- Turn West on HWY 66
5- After about 6 km you will be in crown land.
6- Continue roughly another 9 km to you come to a dirt road heading North, I don't know the name of the road but the entrance to the road is at the coordinates -114.7524, 50.86775
7- Head North until -114.76486, 50.896156
8-Exit the vehicle.
9- Walk along the river to your immediate North
10- Follow my previous post:

I really hope this helps, and I hope its what your looking for,
Sorry for my ignorance on my last post.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
My apologies Newhunter1234,

1- Leave Calgary West on HWY 2.
2- Turn South on HWY 22
3- Proceed through Bragg Creek
4- Turn West on HWY 66
5- After about 6 km you will be in crown land.
6- Continue roughly another 9 km to you come to a dirt road heading North, I don't know the name of the road but the entrance to the road is at the coordinates -114.7524, 50.86775
7- Head North until -114.76486, 50.896156
8-Exit the vehicle.
9- Walk along the river to your immediate North
10- Follow my previous post:

I really hope this helps, and I hope its what your looking for,
Sorry for my ignorance on my last post.
That's WMU 406?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:39 PM

...ya that's 406...

I was being sarcastic, I thought that was clear. No one is gonna give you directions like that to a honey hole...
Old 09-18-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
...ya that's 406...

I was being sarcastic, I thought that was clear. No one is gonna give you directions like that to a honey hole...
Oh didn't catch on haha. Anyways 406 is for draw only for deer.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:55 PM
Banned

I told you about 326. Go to north fork road head north to km 17 turn left go trans Canada plant you will see the line in and out head north plenty of deer in there if your looking for big bucks lots around there 324 head around the Swan lake be in there early spending lots of time in the areas will help. I've spent days within seeing anything then bam see 30-40 deer in an hour
Old 09-18-2017, 09:20 PM

418 has deer if your willing to walk. 316 has deer as well. You can park anywhere on the access roads as long as you get into the bush find an area where you can see. There is deer there maybe not a boone crockett but there is bucks and does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk