Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-29-2017, 07:20 AM

Default Where Do People Come Up With This?

In the past I have had people tell me that if a landowner posts his land "no hunting", then nobody, even the landowner can hunt on it. Now I see someone posting that if you wound an animal, you can legally enter private property without permission to continue hunting the animal. Other people have posted that if you don't allow hunters to enter your land to continue to hunt or retrieve a wounded/dead animal, you can be charged for allowing edible meat to spoil. I can't help but wonder where people come up with such nonsense. Please read the regulations and learn the facts before spreading this kind of nonsense, as it just confuses newer hunters that are still learning the regulations.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
In the past I have had people tell me that if a landowner posts his land "no hunting", then nobody, even the landowner can hunt on it. .
Those people saying that must be from New Brunswick, where this is true. The maritimes have some pretty bizzare laws when it comes to hunting and transport of guns for hunting, when some of those people move here they think the same laws apply. I have also had someone from NB tell me that if private land isn't posted he has the right to hunt there.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:17 AM
Banned

Bs old wives tales are rampant regarding hunting.

The day before yesterday I had a nearby landowner drop into camp. He was in his 60s and chock full of the same kind of bs. First he says to me "My quarter isn't signed because if I do then the game warden won't let me hunt there either. But even though it's not signed if I catch you in there I'll shoot you". He said this to me and my 13 year old son". Ignoring the ridiculous threat, I tried to politely explain the reality of it but the guy wouldn't listen.

Then he spotted my quad on the trailer and went off on a rant about how "those things destroy the bush and chase all the animals away. Real hunters don't need them". So I explained to him that the quad stays on the trailer until we have an animal down, we don't use it for hunting. When I told him it's not legal to use it before noon here he insisted I was wrong. I proposed a $50 bet and he wouldn't shake my hand, but nodded lol. We gave him the regs and showed him the page. The guy read it at least twice and then changed the subject lol.

I thought about calling the rcmp about his silly threat (just to rattle his cage lol) but it's not worth starting a war over. Just another dummy. They're everywhere these days
Old 08-29-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
Bs old wives tales are rampant regarding hunting.

The day before yesterday I had a nearby landowner drop into camp. He was in his 60s and chock full of the same kind of bs. First he says to me "My quarter isn't signed because if I do then the game warden won't let me hunt there either. But even though it's not signed if I catch you in there I'll shoot you". He said this to me and my 13 year old son". Ignoring the ridiculous threat, I tried to politely explain the reality of it but the guy wouldn't listen.

Then he spotted my quad on the trailer and went off on a rant about how "those things destroy the bush and chase all the animals away. Real hunters don't need them". So I explained to him that the quad stays on the trailer until we have an animal down, we don't use it for hunting. When I told him it's not legal to use it before noon here he insisted I was wrong. I proposed a $50 bet and he wouldn't shake my hand, but nodded lol. We gave him the regs and showed him the page. The guy read it at least twice and then changed the subject lol.

I thought about calling the rcmp about his silly threat (just to rattle his cage lol) but it's not worth starting a war over. Just another dummy. They're everywhere these days
While retrieving several elk on private land with my atv one morning, some idiot stopped and threatened to report us for having a rifle on an ATV before noon.. I told him to go ahead and call them. Of course nothing came of this.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:17 AM
Banned

I'm sure it gets worse every year
Old 08-29-2017, 09:33 AM

Elkhunter, I believe you are referring to me when " people " are posting. I suggest you return to that thread and read things one more time for clarity.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=328225
Old 08-29-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
Elkhunter, I believe you are referring to me when " people " are posting. I suggest you return to that thread and read things one more time for clarity.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=328225
Actually, I was not referring to you. Another person posted the nonsense about being charged for allowing edible meat to spoil if you don't allow access, and the real gem in that thread is:

Quote:
It's right in the regs retrieval of legally shot or wounded game overides trespass laws
That ridiculous statement implies that once you wound an animal, you can continue hunting that animal onto private property without permission.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:26 AM

As for first F&W told if landowner says no there is nothing they can do about .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2017, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice123 View Post

That's incorrect.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueice123 View Post

Technically F&W have the authority to enter private land without permission, and they can remove carcasses as well, but they can't authorize a hunter to continue hunting an animal on the private property, just because someone tells them over the phone that they think that the animal is wounded. And the last thing that most officers want to do, is to make enemies with a landowner, if there is any chance that the hunter may have shot the animal on the private property. Can you even imagine the trouble that would result if F&W ordered the landowner to allow access, only to discover that the hunter had fired at the animal while it was on the private land? An officer would have to be an idiot to risk that happening, by taking any action before examining the location where the animal was killed.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-29-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:46 AM

That makes sense

Old 08-29-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Actually, I was not referring to you. Another person posted the nonsense about being charged for allowing edible meat to spoil if you don't allow access, and the real gem in that thread is:

That ridiculous statement implies that once you wound an animal, you can continue hunting that animal onto private property without permission.
I dont disagree.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Technically F&W have the authority to enter private land without permission, and they can remove carcasses as well, but they can't authorize a hunter to continue hunting an animal on the private property, just because someone tells them over the phone that they think that the animal is wounded. And the last thing that most officers want to do, is to make enemies with a landowner, if there is any chance that the hunter may have shot the animal on the private property. Can you even imagine the trouble that would result if F&W ordered the landowner to allow access, only to discover that the hunter had fired at the animal while it was on the private land? An officer would have to be an idiot to risk that happening, by taking any action before examining the location where the animal was killed.
I've been in a nearly identical situation in the recent past. We shot a bull on land we had permission on, the hunter made a bad shot and the bull ran. He crossed the whole 1/4, jumped the fence into a 1/4 we didn't have and we lost sight of him. Contacted the landowner and politely explained what had happened. Landowner was extremely ignorant, yelling & swearing. So we called RAP, an officer called us back, got all the info then called the landowner. Landowner was apparently just as rude to the F&W officer. So the officer initiated a 3 way call between me, him and the landowner. The landowner continued to deny us access and continued yelling and swearing. F&W officer told me very clearly to go ahead and confirmed that he had the authority to "over rule" the landowner. The catch was that we were not allowed to take any weapons with us at all. So we went in and continued blood trailing him all the while with the landowner following us around heckling and swearing at us.

Unfortunately we never did find his bull

This was in the Edson area.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
I've been in a nearly identical situation in the recent past. We shot a bull on land we had permission on, the hunter made a bad shot and the bull ran. He crossed the whole 1/4, jumped the fence into a 1/4 we didn't have and we lost sight of him. Contacted the landowner and politely explained what had happened. Landowner was extremely ignorant, yelling & swearing. So we called RAP, an officer called us back, got all the info then called the landowner. Landowner was apparently just as rude to the F&W officer. So the officer initiated a 3 way call between me, him and the landowner. The landowner continued to deny us access and continued yelling and swearing. F&W officer told me very clearly to go ahead and confirmed that he had the authority to "over rule" the landowner. The catch was that we were not allowed to take any weapons with us at all. So we went in and continued blood trailing him all the while with the landowner following us around heckling and swearing at us. As nasty as the landowner was, he could have made it even more difficult for you.

Unfortunately we never did find his bull

This was in the Edson area.
And the officer was taking a huge chance by accepting your word that the bull was wounded on land that you had permission on. If you hadn't been telling the truth , and the bull had been on the wrong side of the fence when it was shot, the officer would have looked like a fool, and the abusive landowner would have never let him forget it. As well, the landowner could have chosen to simply not answer his phone, or he could have demanded to have the officer show up and prove who he was before accepting anything that he said.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
In the past I have had people tell me that if a landowner posts his land "no hunting", then nobody, even the landowner can hunt on it. Now I see someone posting that if you wound an animal, you can legally enter private property without permission to continue hunting the animal. Other people have posted that if you don't allow hunters to enter your land to continue to hunt or retrieve a wounded/dead animal, you can be charged for allowing edible meat to spoil. I can't help but wonder where people come up with such nonsense. Please read the regulations and learn the facts before spreading this kind of nonsense, as it just confuses newer hunters that are still learning the regulations.
I can't hang a "No Trespassing" sign or my kids and friends can't come over for a visit.LOL