Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-25-2017, 06:38 AM

Default Somebody is already tagged out!

No, it's not me. Or anyone that I know of, but someone out there did their homework or got lucky at first light. I'd like to know what that feels like 😀
Me, like a lot of you are working on opening morning and it sucks. However I always think as the sun comes up somebody has got a ram in their scope or A deer, elk or moose feeding in front of them waiting for legal hunting.
I would love to hear about a couple of success stories or near misses on opening day. I think it will help a lot of us until we can go on our first trip of the year.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:45 AM
Banned

Ive been out for an hour I've seen a squirrel and a weasel things already looking up lol
Old 08-25-2017, 07:31 AM
Banned

Had a 3x3 at 18 yards about 1/2 an hour ago and he was REALLY tempting. But there's a really nice heavy 5x5 here somewhere too, I saw him last night.

Good luck all
Old 08-25-2017, 07:41 AM

part of hunting for me is the chase, and id be bummed if a decent animal stepped out at first light on opening day.

i didnt pull the trigger on a few bucks 2 years ago because i wanted to hunt more lol. ended up with a nice 5x5.

good luck to all heading out!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:43 AM

The only time I ever came close I was out talking to my neighbour the night before and he was showing me some of the best places to hunt and while we're checking things out we had a few drinks and I didn't get home till really late. My wife woke me up in the morning saying " are you going to sleep in opening day?! so I jumped out of bed and walked over to The neighbours field and there was a 6 x 6 Bull headed to the waterhole that morning. I forgot my rangefinder and binoculars. While I was stocking him a muley doe came out of the trees and busted me and started stomping. I laid on the side of a grassy hill trying not to arouse attention but she wouldn't let it go, so I drew my bow turned and shot her. Those were the days when they were giving out doe tags like cookies.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:26 AM

I don't get out unroll the 27 th. That will be my opening morning for me. Good luck to all who are out there today. Happy hunting and be safe!

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 08-25-2017, 09:10 AM
Banned

Know of 2 330-350 bulls down and passed on 6 cows today good start
Old 08-25-2017, 09:11 AM

couple of years ago I shot my biggest Muley buck to date on opening morning on the walk in . Very good start to my season and the start of a hard drag
Old 08-25-2017, 11:08 AM

I know of one ram down this morning at first light.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:11 PM

some good critters down already today. It seems like a good year for sheep already
Old 08-25-2017, 10:21 PM

Quite for elk today. A couple of responses to calls and then quite quite. Saw a whitetail really worth taking, but didn't get the tag yet and this is a hunt of its own later on.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:21 AM

Saw a nice mulie buck and a smaller mulie buck with a doe at 60 yards. Caught me and my young boys flat footed. Didn't draw the buck tag this year as I'm saving my good priority for the southern zones next fall.
Healthy looking farms up north this year. Couple that with the mild winters we've had I really believe there's gonna be some excellent animals harvested by some folks this year. Was nice to see a cow elk in the usual haunts a couple mins after legal as well. Crops have been switched around this year so using this trip to pattern the elk in hopes of filling a couple tags with Nuge in September. Tough to bow hunt with a 3 y.o. Haha but he did really good last night alongside his 8 yo brother. Proud of my boys and having a blast.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Saw a nice mulie buck and a smaller mulie buck with a doe at 60 yards. Caught me and my young boys flat footed. Didn't draw the buck tag this year as I'm saving my good priority for the southern zones next fall.
Healthy looking farms up north this year. Couple that with the mild winters we've had I really believe there's gonna be some excellent animals harvested by some folks this year. Was nice to see a cow elk in the usual haunts a couple mins after legal as well. Crops have been switched around this year so using this trip to pattern the elk in hopes of filling a couple tags with Nuge in September. Tough to bow hunt with a 3 y.o. Haha but he did really good last night alongside his 8 yo brother. Proud of my boys and having a blast.
I managed to get a small white tail buck with my bow and my six-year-old son sitting beside me a couple of years ago. It was nothing short of great luck and timing. He sat still for the exact right five minutes. That is a trophy in a league of its own
Old 08-26-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I managed to get a small white tail buck with my bow and my six-year-old son sitting beside me a couple of years ago. It was nothing short of great luck and timing. He sat still for the exact right five minutes. That is a trophy in a league of its own
Haha no doubt. It's always sweeter when the kids are along