Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-09-2016, 11:04 AM

Default E-Tags

I just printed my licenses and realized how much paperwork a guy has to carry around. First world problem sure, but has anyone ever heard of a jurisdiction that is all electronic? Seems to make sense for the near future to "tag" an animal with an app and have all your paperwork consolidated. Maybe we're not too far off.... Not a huge issue but food for thought.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:10 AM

Not yet, but I assume some day you will be able to retinal scan your kill and email it immediately to F&W. Proof of kill linked to license and game survey all in one.

Now a much more modest change, and one easily do-able right now, would be to simply make it EXPICIT in the regulations that you can carry all your licenses on an electronic device if you wish.

Last edited by Okotokian; 09-09-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:15 AM

I know commercial fishing boats in the US use a system like that to report their catches.

I would expect the price of tags to go way up if they wanted to try and implement something like this tho.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Not yet, but I assume some day you will be able to retinal scan your kill and email it immediately to F&W. Proof of kill linked to license and game survey all in one.

Now a much more modest change, and one easily do-able right now, would be to simply make it EXPICIT in the regulations that you can carry all your licenses on an electronic device if you wish.
Yeah it would be nice to at least carry a photo of our licenses around. I had a cop pull me over the other day and he graciously accepted a picture of my current registration. Seems doable and not much of a change- but definitely a good one
Old 09-09-2016, 12:20 PM

One concern with a etag system could be purchasing a tag (if you have cell reception) after you shoot the animal. So a guy could buy one tag to legally say he is out hunting and then shoot whatever animal you come across that you want then buy the tag.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
One concern with a etag system could be purchasing a tag (if you have cell reception) after you shoot the animal. So a guy could buy one tag to legally say he is out hunting and then shoot whatever animal you come across that you want then buy the tag.
That's a good point. Perhaps a drop dead Etag purchase date?
Regardless I'm sure your scenario already happens on a regular basis....
Old 09-09-2016, 12:47 PM

Ya, what freeride said.
You may not always have a printer tho, so just screenshot your licenses.
They may accept this if ur checked, maybe not.
Or they could make a one day wait til license is valid.
With most all on draw now except WT & gen elk people buy their licenses before their hunt anyways.

TBark
Old 09-09-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
You could do that now.....I have an air card, laptop and printer in my truck for work and it's not hard to get your hands on some spare blank tags.....if I was so inclined I could hunt for something without a tag, then just take 5 minutes to buy the tag on Relm and print off the applicable paperwork after the fact. Not something I would ever consider, but just saying it's very doable right now with the system we have.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:57 PM

Don't the licenses have the date and time on them when they were purchased.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:03 PM
Banned

Yep they have the date.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Yep they have the date.
And the time
Old 09-09-2016, 09:56 PM

Again, just throwing around scenarios here.....but even with the date and time, I can guarantee that some road warriors roll around and spot something then buy the tag immediately before or after shooting it. If its before, then there wouldnt be anything illegal about it. Unless the shot was witnessed by a CO, which in turn would make it highly unlikely that the guy would be able to buy the tag in time, I doubt it could ever be proven if the tag was bought before or after the animal was shot.

I like the convenience of being able to buy on-line, but in some ways the good old days of having to physically be at a license issuer was a good thing too, lol.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:09 PM

You can now keep a copy of your fishing license on your cell phone here in Montana to show wardens if checked. Still have to have carcass tags though.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
You could do that now.....I have an air card, laptop and printer in my truck for work and it's not hard to get your hands on some spare blank tags.....if I was so inclined I could hunt for something without a tag, then just take 5 minutes to buy the tag on Relm and print off the applicable paperwork after the fact. Not something I would ever consider, but just saying it's very doable right now with the system we have.
The one day wait on all licenses would fix that loophole.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck-the-chimp View Post
The one day wait on all licenses would fix that loophole.
Agree 100%. Would like to see that.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:16 PM

The one day wait would be good.