Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-07-2016, 12:44 PM

Default Chronicles of a rookie bow hunter

Story has it that after getting his brand new bow JP had put countless hours of practice with it and on the labor day weekend 2016 JP headed out with a moose tag, wt tag and mulie tag. He got to the hunting spot made sure that the bow was still shooting good...lost one arrow in the process. The day was great and JP hiked the woods for a few km...on the first day wit still one hour of legal time he came a across a band of mulies up a cutline bordering the thick bush...His heart immediately became a drump beating fast and he put a plan in effect right away ...simple...go pass the cut line and into the push and ambush them from within... He soon realize that navegating tru the September bush without making any noice was almost impossible and when he finally made it....they were gone "damm it...they must have smelled me...no that's impossible bc the wind was in my favour...i checked....most likely they heard me...ohh well" as we was walking out his gut feeling told him to look back....and there was the buck proud and tall looking straight at him.... But even more crazy is that to the left of him there was a dow 20 yards away that seemed to be following him.... He immediately started to duck down ever so slowly that the dow couldn't be sure what was happening... He was then level with the tall grass and the dow kept on coming as to definitely figure put whatvwas there...and at 20 yards he let the arrow fly only to come to realization that it had hit a branch on the way and siverted path and a very very well educated dow lived another day....However for JP all was not lost...the adrenalin rush of being that close for the first time with a bow to a deer was all worth it even with a lost broadhead in ththe bush...the next day came by and with 2arrows left he kept on hunting...a wt decided to be an innocent by stander and the stalk was quickly put into effect...heart ppunding one arrow left and the shot was perfect even though he was shaking like a magnitude 5 earthquake...first deer down and hard work paid off on that day.... Deer clean and loaded on the truck and still sometime left he went fir a final walk with the bloody arrow....it was then that he saw the cow moose eating away and once again we was stealthy like a lynx getting within 40 yards and moose onnthe bow peep sight ....he had a change of heart..."what if i dont get a perfect shot and the moose is hurt and i wont have anither arrow to humanly finish it....besides i only have another 30 mins of legal hunting time .this is gonna be one looky moose who will live another day...." He finished the weekend hunt very exited and happy

This is a tru story..i was there
Old 09-07-2016, 12:53 PM

Sounds like a great day in the bush! Congrats on the deer!
Old 09-07-2016, 08:47 PM

You don't need my help JP since you are off to a good start. Glad you had a good weekend.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunezilla View Post
You don't need my help JP since you are off to a good start. Glad you had a good weekend.
Nice tonhear from u buddy
Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhunterjp View Post
Nice tonhear from u buddy
I was glad to hear from you in the message department. Keep up the good hunting. Keep making good decisions (like letting a moose go because of time, lack of arrows, not taking chances.) ....that is good sportsmanship.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:25 AM

Congrats!