Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Pheasantnut

Default Wood vs Laminated stock vs Composite stock

Hey guys, need some advice. Considering purchasing a new rifle for elk and moose hunting. Any thoughts on what type of stock to get? Any opinions would be appreciated. Some people say wood warps, thus throwing your zero off. Other's complain that the laminated stocks are too heavy......any info comparing the three would be appreciated Cheers Pheasantnut
Old 01-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Jamie Hunt

Composite = YUCK!
Laminated = YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK !!
Wood = Ahhhhhhhhhh nice wood.. The way it was suppose to be
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
But then I like my wood.
I guess each has their place.. But seems to me wood worked for a ton of year before all this new fangled space garbage came out.
I admit if I was hunting in the rainforest I would look at a different stock.
Remember every scar tells a story.

Jamie
Old 01-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Rackmastr

For me, its stainless/synthetic for a hunting rifle. I personally dont like any 'factory' synthetic stocks, and I like the quality in a good aftermarket like a Bansner, McMillan, Wildcat, H-S Precision, etc...

Depends on your tastes, hunting styles, etc. I like a gun that I can take anywhere and treat like a tool, and it looks good after a long mountain hunt....

Wood looks amazing though, and laminates are very cool....just not for me and the hunting I do...
Old 01-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Blakeinator2

Hey Rack, you ever seen synthetic stocks available for CZ rifles? I love my little CZ American in .204 except that its not stainless synthetic...if i could find a slick little stock then i'd just give the metal a good camo paint job and be much happier. Wood/blued...looks good in the gun cabinet.:b

B
Old 01-18-2007, 07:59 PM
101sonny

For sure a personal choice but if i had to pick one again "Laminated " all the why just my way of thinking . i have wooden stocks but i see some are starting to warp a little not good but hey a little glass bedding and free floating Barrels they should be fine . Good luck in your search
Old 01-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Rackmastr

Blake,
Yep seen the CZ Synthetic.......not bad, but still not the quality that I like in a syn stock....
Old 01-18-2007, 10:16 PM
jrs

I really like the synthetic stock on my Tikka, i liked it so much i bought a 10-22 in synthetic as well. I simply like the versatility and toughness of synthetics (especially the tikka, the 10-22 stock is less quality which is expected as its a $300 gun). My tikka has seen a fair bit of shale over the past two years and simply comparing it to my dads old wood 30-06 and the same time frame, there is way less noticeable scratches and no chunks have come off the synthetic. I'm a big fan of it, lots of guys aren't but i'm sold on the concept.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Heybert

Default Wood

I'm quite partial to wood stocks since they give the gun such a nice look and feel. Having said that, I'm not about to discount synthetic stocks since my 25-06 has wicked synthetic stock that seems to "fit" me well.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Synthetic SS only

Default Synthetic SS only

My vote goes to Synthetic stock Stainless Steel..

I have 7mm STW custom build by Guillard on Rem 700 action,sako extractor,SS barrel and WOOD stock...this is my "convertible" to be used only in perfect weather...
My Sako 75 SS Synthetic in same caliber is my hunting companion...my tool...rain, snow, mud...ATV will take it all...
Old 01-22-2007, 03:48 AM
bingo1010

Default Re: Synthetic SS only

wood feels good but can/does shift
laminate feels good ..doesn't shift..but IS heavy
cheap factory synthetics suck arse, very inconsistent/ inaccurate and feel like crap
fibreglass/carbon fibre.. light..strong..accurate..consistent...

now you must make up your own mind
Old 01-22-2007, 10:36 AM
jrs

"cheap factory synthetics suck arse, very inconsistent/ inaccurate and feel like crap"

I'll disagree on the accuracy comments. The stevens model 200 probably has the cheapest synthetic stock ever designed. Its ugly and extremely light but all three of these rifles i've seen in action shot 0.5'' or better right off the shelf, even better once the barrel was warmed up a bit (couple cleaning rounds). I think it still has more to do with aesthetics if you stick with wood. My 10-22 with the other low grade syntheitc stock is deadly accurate as well, just like our old wood stock one. I don't think it affects accuracy, just looks. As for feel, you get used to them fast, i have come to appreciate the limited weight of all these rifles and would not trade for an average wood stock.

Theres a guy at Lethbridge wholesale who gets going about how these rifles are crap and he doesn't even want to sell them. Took him in several targets with impresive groups and he's still not willing to show guys them. Some guys are still stuck in the past.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:46 PM
aulrich

Under the right conditions the cheaper ones can effect accuracy. The most likly way is twisting it on a bi-pod. Pretty much all of the injected molded stocks have wimpy forends that you can twist and so they make contact with the barrel. There was some talk the it could slap the barrel during firing i'd have to see so high speed images to prove that.

I think Savage uses an HS Precision stock on thier Long Range Precision Varminter.

Wood looks good (though the quality of wood is not what is was) ad synthetic works good.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Rackmastr

JRS,
I agree on that Stevens model 200.....they are simply amazing from all counts I've seen for accuracy....

I wonder which of the Wholesale guys doesnt like em? I'll have to go in there and start askin about them....heh
Old 01-22-2007, 05:08 PM
jrs

Default sounds good.

Sounds good trev

A friend of mine makes a point of trying to advertise the rifle to a lot of first time hunter types. They go in and ask to see one and the guy refuses saying theres no possible way to build a good gun for under $600-700, then buddy argues with him about head spacing and barrel grading (stuff i don't know a ton about and either does the wholesale guy) i'm sure one more guy bugging him would make his day It's a great purchase if someones just lookig for that first rifle or a supplemental one in a new caliber. Works just fine, i've never seen or heard of one that doesn't shoot tacks (sorry for the term). The wholesale guy insists the crappay ones are all over the place, guesse everyone i know just gets lucky :b
Old 01-22-2007, 05:27 PM
varmitr

Default Re: sounds good.

wood is for furniture and safe queens,
laminated is for bench guns and vermin flattening sorties
composite is for the packing, tracking and whacking of novembers meat morsels.
if you want wood...google up a winslow rifle and gawk at that, aint nothing finer
Old 02-03-2007, 01:57 AM
cmfic1

Default Re: sounds good.

Quote:
Pretty much all of the injected molded stocks have wimpy forends that you can twist and so they make contact with the barrel.
hmmmm.....I have 4 Bansner Hi-techs, an H-S precision, and had 2 Mcmillans, every one of them will touch the bbl. when enough pressure is applied (from the bottom or the side). On a Bi-pod, not sure (hardly ever use mine), but if the Tupperware stock touches the bbl. when said bipod is used, just take a little more out of the bbl. channel!

Well known Outfitter & Hunting/Rifle Scribe, Phil Shoemaker, actually prefers the Factory Tupperwares, to the "more better" after market, market. To each his own I say.

I have rifles in all 3 configurations. My thinking is along the same lines as varmitr......Except for my .358 Norma (being built), & the new .375 Ruger I wanna get, They are gonna wear Wood, but will have all that can be done to "weatherproof" them, and they by no means are gonna be a Safe Queens!

Would I take either of the above Rifles on a Coastal Hunt?...Yes, Would I be likely to do so?...No
Old 02-03-2007, 03:10 AM
7 REM MAG

synthetic all the way i dont think il ever buy another wood/laminate stock.synthetic just feels right
Old 02-03-2007, 03:48 PM
swampdonkey17

no no wood stock all the way nothing beets the look and feel of a classic wood stock. we got some old guns in the house and we have never had any problems with the wood stocks. we have guns that my grampa owned when he was a young boy and they still look like there brand new as long as they are properly cared for NOTHING beats the beauty of a wooden stock...everything else is for my little brothers toy guns ha ha