Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Reynolds

Default Reloading OEL

I have a question regarding OAL and hoping I can get some help. I have a 338 win mag Winchester sporter. I have measured the maximum OAL to be 3.499 using 225 grain Accubonds. I determined this by placing a bullet into a split necked case then inserting into the chamber and closing the bolt.
The magazine maximum OAL allowed I measured to be 3.400.

Reloading books have the min OAL at 3.340 .

Is this normal or do I have serious throat erosion?
If normal, at what end of the OAL spectrum would you start?
Old 02-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Dick284

Normal:
Your rifle just has a long throat.
In this case simply seat your bullets to the maximum length that your magazine box will allow for normal functioning.
Of course if you have abused and shot the living you know what out of the rifle your throat could be erroded, but that can't be determined with out an inspection with a bore scope.
If your accuracy has'nt suffered, I'd just simple seat them as prescribed and let her rip.
If you get accuracy issues, the bore scope is what's needed.
If your looking to get the borescope done drop me a PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:29 PM
HUNTNUT

I have the same load and gun as you. I just do as Dick284 said and load them so they will fit in the mag and it shoots very well.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:45 PM
OutdoorChet

Dick284,

What should someone expect to pay for a borescope job from a reputable gunsmith? If you shoot a cartiridge with a bit a reputation as a throat burner, what would be a reasonable amount of rounds fired to have it inspected, if you are not completely satisified with the accuracy of your gun and you have addressed other inaccuracy factors such as bedding and free-floating?

Thanks,
Chet
Old 02-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Dick284

Chet:
I have no idea what a goonsmith is gonna charge for a peek with a borescope. I have a shooting buddy with a borescope, so all I do is bring the suds and we spend the evening checking things out and BSing and the like.
As for barrel burners. Well he(bud w/ borescope) has a 257WBY he bought new and with all the care anyone could exercise he has pretty bad fire cracking in the throat at 150 rounds. Accuracy is still awesome, and the velocities are still the same as day one.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:53 PM
nafegavas

Start at SAAMI spec then move the bullet out @ .005" increments to fine tune your load. Keep an eye out for signs of excess pressure and always work up to max loads.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Reynolds

Thanks for the replies and re-assurring information.