Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Where's a good place to hunt coyotes?
coyote hunter 34 100.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2007, 10:11 AM
cdnr

Default Where's a good place to hunt coyotes?

I have only shot one coyote,
with my dad,
it was the day after my brithday
and that was a really good b-day present,
but the places we went to didn't have very many places to shoot, and the places we did go to had no animal activity what so ever,
they were dead,
my dad thinks it was cause of the wind,
but I don't know
i think i'm bad luck,
Old 01-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Charmax

Where about do you live?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:42 PM
hillbily

well in order to help your problem we need some more info. I have seen so many coyotes latley its not even funny, but i'm in central alberta.
Prime time is about 9:30 am, give or take an hour, If its real windy good luck unless your calling, if its a nice day you can see them right until early afternoon.
just my 3 cents :lol
hill
Old 01-13-2007, 10:54 PM
varmitr

if you where closer to zone 222, i could have you so close to a coyote you can smell its breath.(it smells bad). i just got back from calln wolfs(saw nuthin)
wind is important and you need it, it contains oxygen. dont feel bad about not seeing one, they, like all wild animals..are smarter than we people. thats why they are still wild
i had coyotes come as close as 1.5 meter.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:40 PM
cdnr

I live in Calgary Alberta,
Old 01-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Blakeinator2

You can basically nock on doors anywhere around town and you'll likely find it fairly easy to find permission. Talking to land owners is a very good way as you can find out more from them about their land and where the coyotes usually are then many days scouting/learning/making mistakes etc. So just get out there and start talking to land owners, introduce yourself and tell them what you'd like to do and do be discouraged if you get some no's etc. There are lots of folks who don't like hunting altogether or are just tired of allowing hunters or that like coyotes and would rather them left alone but there are lots of land owners that would be more than happy to let you chase coyotes around on their property too. Good luck and hope you get to experience calling in a coyote...pretty sure you'll be hooked for life afterwords....worked for me. I had to call about a 1/2 dozen in before i finally killed one but worth it bigtime.

P.s. i would primarily stay south/west/north of town...the east can be a bit too wide open to find good places to set up for calling...but you can see them alot easier from the truck in the open stuff

B
Old 01-18-2007, 07:18 PM
7 REM MAG

i usualy find them in fields close to the bush, sorry couldnt help myself:lol
Old 01-22-2007, 03:41 AM
bingo1010

hunt in areas that have cattle, the yotes like to sleep in the bedding and will even eat the cows**t if they get hungry enough.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 AM
cdnr

good ideas,
I've only killed one, but my plan is to do more,
i like it, I think it's pretty neat seeing an animal through the scope,
and it was the day after my birthday, which I thought was pretty interesting,
well thanks for the tips, i'll have to go out again, and hopefully get another one.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:55 PM
Hoopi

Hey:

My favourite tactic is to find an abandoned railway right-of-way. There are a few spurs around that don't have much traffic. Get permissions in the private land along the line.

Then you and a buddy work the line between crossings. He drops you off at one crossing, you walk east or west (one mile) rather than the north/south lines that are 2 miles apart.

Call every 400 yards until you get to the next road, where your buddy dropped the truck. He of course, is headed down the line in the same direction you were traveling. You jump in the truck and head to the next crossing, where you repeat the process. This saves backtracking over where you just walked. Cattle/sheep farmers hate coyotes, so finding permission is just a matter of getting a land access map for the area you want and calling farmers on the phone.

If you try this method on a good east/west line in cattle/ranch country with slough bottoms, creeks, bush, etc... on the first calm day following a few windy days. You will call in and shoot lots of coyotes.

Do not "skyline" on the top of the rail line. Rather, alternate from your sitting position from side to side on the railway sub-grade to send your varmint calls in different directions and hide your outline. Remember your call will carry farther downwind than upwind, but them 'yotes' like to come in on the downwind side if they are hunted lots, if they are not "called to" very much they will come in from any direction.

January is breeding season for the 'yotes', so they usually come in pairs. In really thick bushy areas like northern Alberta, leave the rifle in the truck and take the 12 GA shotgun with BB's or larger shot, full choke barrel. This set up is good to 25 yards with regular shot...with a 3.5 inch 10 Ga you can kill coyotes to 50 yards with this set up. Otherwise a deer rifle will work, but tends to leave big holes.

Have fun, send us your pics

Hoopi
Old 01-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Hoopi

Hey:

I forgot to mention, your Dad is right about the wind. Calling coyotes on a windy day is tough work. But the first calm day that follows a few windy days is much more productive.

I can't speak for southern Alberta, but that's what I have experienced in the Edmonton area and north.

Hoopi
Old 01-25-2007, 04:56 PM
cdnr

okay,
thanks for the tips, and i'll have to put a picture up of my first coyote.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:57 PM
cdnr

here is my coyote this year.
i177.photobucket.com/albu...orsman.jpg

it looks like 2 shots, but it was only one.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:01 PM
jrs

Default Nice yote

Nice looking coyote you got there, congrats.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:27 PM
cdnr

Default Re: Nice yote

Thank-you.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:45 PM
BrownBear416

Default Re: Nice yote

Nice yote......sniper.:eek
Old 02-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Rubber Ducky

HI Cdnr,

They're not called wiley coyote for nothing. Last year I was out hunting gophers with a .17HMR when a coyote trotted into view. I'm guessing that he was about 250 yards away, and so while I was in plain view I sat very still hoping that he would come into range. Well he saw me and off he went. No panick just back where he came from and then he was gone.

Coyotes can be difficult to hunt so if you think you're bad luck, well let me tell you that that luck is being shared by a lot of other hunters so you're not alone.

It take patience and experience so don't be too hard on yourself.

Cheers,
Rubber Ducky