Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM

Default Bear deterent at Moose camp

Ok so went in to where our tent is set up on Saturday to have a look see for any moose rut activity and check on the tent. It is 15 km's away from any road. It appears a small bear has found our spot. One spot on the tent had two small claw tears in the tent wall and one where it put its paws on the tarp that hangs over and then bit the tarp. No real damage and I can put a patch on the wall when we are out there next week. I am going to do what I read in a old magazine article and spray pine sol around the area when we get there. I did it in grizz country before when wall tent hunting and never seen a bear in camp but who knows if it worked. Can't do the electric fence thing, no time and money so we will be bear smart and on extra alert next week, keep the guns close(buying a bear tag this year) but what else can be done to deter this bear or bears other then a lead pill if one shows up. More concerned with night time(does it help if you leave a lantern on low all night). Any tips are appreciated. On the topic of bears, in 15 plus years of hunting this zone, I have never seen so much bear crap on the trails around our camp spot. One pile was so big my 15 yr old didn't want to be in the lead anymore when scouting with the atv's. I have to say the pile was huge, not sure if the pile relates to size of a bear lol and most piles were full of berries. This is in 516 so I would guess it's all blackies.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2013, 04:02 PM

X2 on a lot of bear crap up here as well, gotta watch where u step, kinda like. Walkin in the cow fence!

But if u are leavin your tent out there unattended, isn't that asking for trouble? Black bears love nothing better than to rip a camp apart when nobodys around.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:51 PM

I guess it is possible seeing how they love game cameras. It generally goes up 2 weeks prior to us hunting out of it for the simple reason it's less to haul in later, we clear trails of fallen trees etc and we scout the area. This time we postponed the hunt by a week, should be there now but work got in the way(maybe that's good, looks like it has rained for two days straight). No bear problems ever until this year, don't even see a bear out there, have been doing the backwoods moose camp for quite a few years too. I leave it up for the simple reason we try during the rut and if we don't connect, we go back on weekends. If we do, it all goes home. Judging by the amount of bear crap I am seeing, it is either a banner year for bears or they moved into our area. Sign of them everywhere(poop) which is very rare.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:11 PM

What's so difficult or expensive about a bear fence ? Few plastic posts, battery powered fencer, electric tape and an hour's time. Problem solved. Cost, under 200. Peace of Mind, priceless.

Grizz
Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
What's so difficult or expensive about a bear fence ? Few plastic posts, battery powered fencer, electric tape and an hour's time. Problem solved. Cost, under 200. Peace of Mind, priceless.

Grizz
This will be next years investment for sure.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:46 PM

Had a guy tell me he used a can or too of Muskol mosquito repellent or Off . he said you cover em in Peanut butter and hang em in the trees nearby . The bear bits into the can and get a mouth full of nastiness. runs away .I'm not saying I have tried it but it sounds good... could go either way I suppose
Old 10-02-2013, 01:10 AM

been there done that, spray cans of paint are much better though. they tend to mark the offender so you know which one needs to be dealt with and have a bear tag affixed the following day
Old 10-02-2013, 01:18 AM

When you are in camp for the night...
Monofilament line around the camp 1 1/2 to 2 feet off the ground. Have a bell hung on each line on each corner of your enclosement. It won't keep the bears away but it will let you know something is around and give you some precious reaction time if required. Investment under 5 bucks.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:56 AM
Banned

If all else fails...buy a bear tag.
Thats a sure way to make sure you don't see one.

A bear fence is worthy looking at... even some noise makers around your perimeter can be helpful.
Theres a good chance that just having some human activity about will be enough to keep em at bay.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:17 AM

nothing speaks like a bear tag with a lead followup
Old 10-02-2013, 04:33 AM

Default well We are a meat eaters and a bear can smell that

Well We are a meat eaters .... So make sure that You mark your territory and the bear wont came to the camp ... Which is bold and enters the camp has to be shoot .
Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 AM

My brother says where his rig is they see 5 bears a day at least. Something about bells that snap on to their stuff.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:08 AM

bear fence is the way to go. in the meantime, make use of expired cans of spray.

[IMG][/IMG]

they won't come back.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:15 AM

Wrapping meat around cans seems kinda silly to me. Why try and lure bears to your camp? Kinda defeats the purpose. Just keep a clean camp.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 AM

If you change your mind about the bear fence, there's one for sale in the buy and sell on this forum.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
If you change your mind about the bear fence, there's one for sale in the buy and sell on this forum.
He better of been quicker than me Stinky......that was a good deal

We lost 5 quarters of caribou last year to a grizz and had wolves come in one night this year for a nibble

Procrastinating no longer
Old 10-06-2013, 10:37 PM

After we had a black bear make a return appearance while we were making supper, I opted for the electric fence.. I got 2 of them.. One for the kitchen and one for the tent. They run on 2 D cell batteries and they claim they'll last for 2 weeks (I think)... The only change I did was buy decent posts from UFA for electric fences.. That way they are tall enough ou can tie them off so that they don't lean too bad...

I don't know if they work 100% or not, but I know we haven't had any more issues in camp and we've seen them around..