Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-03-2013, 06:31 PM

Default Wall tent diesel heater

Just wondering if anyone has used the h45 military diesel heater. I have been thinking about getting one for my wall tent. I don't mind my wood stove but it doesn't burn all night and it would be nice to wake up to a warm tent.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 PM

I bought a diesel heater last year and it was priceless. I never realized how much I luved it till this year I stayed in my dads camp this year for just two nights wall tent with wood I forgot how much i hate wood getting up in the night sucks. Diesel heating is easy to set up doesn't smell like everyone thinks just lite it set the heat and forget it.
It is a priceless buy....
Old 10-03-2013, 08:29 PM

What kind of diesel heater do you have.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 PM

Can't remember bought it from deluxe wall tent.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:37 PM

Bought an old Coleman room heater that burns diesel a quite a while ago. never go back to wood heat in the tent. With the diesel you get nice consistent heat all night .no more temp extremes , just fill er up (2 gal tank)and enjoy 14 hrs of uninterupted steady heat .
Old 10-04-2013, 11:52 AM

We have the Prospector model sold by Deluxe Wall Tents...works great. Heats up our 16x20 wall tent.

It will get some use starting sunday as we are gone from sunday for 1 week of moose hunting. Should be colder this year....last couple have been warmer and we barely ran the heater.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:06 PM

Here ya go Sir....these are good prices as well.

You'll need a hose/valve/fuel can as well.

We use the Trekker and Expedition models as they are a little smaller.

If I was to set one up permanently somewhere I would go with the Prospector.

http://www.deluxewalltents.com/diesel_heaters.htm
Old 10-04-2013, 12:42 PM

Default What about kerosene

What's anyone's experience with the kerosene heaters that home hardware sells, up to 23,000 btu and cost,s 300.00
Was thinking of grabbing one for my next trip. 12x14 wall tent and would love to leave the wood stove behind.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 PM

I can't get the link to work but if it is the white one that stands about 3ft make sure you get it outside to turn it off....they reek!!

I've had problems with these units and they are not as hardy as the diesel ones mentioned before. Kerosene ain't "cheap" either.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:14 PM

Default Heater

The one that I was looking at is made by kero world, model number KC2404. On the website it's a darker color.

In regards to the diesel units, is there a retailer in Edmonton or Grand Prairie that anyone knows of
Old 10-04-2013, 03:42 PM

I am thinking about getting the h45 military heater. It can be used as a diesel heater and all of the internals can be taken out out you can burn wood in it as well. I like the idea if being able to use it for both. They are 20000 to 55000 btu and will run about 30 hours or so on low with 5 gallons of diesel.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Default Heater

Here's a question , does anyone know how many btu,s it would take to keep a wall tent comfy in the minus 20,s
Old 10-04-2013, 05:00 PM

The Expedition works well and we don't have it cranked.

I plan on the Trekker in my Arctic Oven this winter.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Default Diesel heaters BTU's

Guys, on the question of BTU's to heat wall tent in -20oC. It takes a good arm full of dry poplar wood and a barrel of expensive $1.20/liter diesel. We would never consider replacing free never run out wood with stinky diesel in our moose camp.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, on the question of BTU's to heat wall tent in -20oC. It takes a good arm full of dry poplar wood and a barrel of expensive $1.20/liter diesel. We would never consider replacing free never run out wood with stinky diesel in our moose camp.
Woods only free if you value your time at $0/hour. By the time I go out and cut wood before the season ( or better yet the season before ) and split it, it isn't free. One besides one tank of fuel in my truck to go cut wood will heat the tent for 6 days.
Now don't get me wrong I like a good fire with the wood crackling in the background at camp but I also like waking up warm in the morning, and coming back to a warm camp at night
Old 10-05-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Woods only free if you value your time at $0/hour. By the time I go out and cut wood before the season ( or better yet the season before ) and split it, it isn't free. One besides one tank of fuel in my truck to go cut wood will heat the tent for 6 days.
Now don't get me wrong I like a good fire with the wood crackling in the background at camp but I also like waking up warm in the morning, and coming back to a warm camp at night
Dont know where you hunt but there is lots of free dry wood in the bush where I hunt.

How much diesel dose it take to keep a 14x16 tent warm this time of year per day and are they thermostat regulated?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:58 PM

Default Heater

Hey I love the whole wood thing, when I hunt in my home area I have an ample supply of spruce and birch. When I go elk hinting all that's around is popular.burns too fast and doesn't give a good sustainable fire for any great amount of time. That's why I'm planning on taking an alternate heat source.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
How much diesel dose it take to keep a 14x16 tent warm this time of year per day and are they thermostat regulated?
Five gallons lasts us three days (Expedition) when we let er' buck 24/7 (dial it back when you're not home). They are not thermostatically controlled but regulated by a carb that you set the flow on. They do not give the immediate heat that a wood fire does but it does keep on dripping. Between cooking and diesel it's t-shirt weather inside. It does a good job of drying things out as well.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:54 PM

Are you able to shut the diesel heater off any time. I thought I heard something that you have to let it run out of fuel. Also wondering what everyone thinks if having the option to burn wood if you want to or have to. The heater in looking at sounds like it burns more fuel then the expedition. But I like the option of being able to burn wood if you have to.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:33 PM

For the 3-4 day trips my deisel heater was great. Kept things warm all the time. Time is money and not having to waste it looking for dry wood to cut made it very affordable and comfortable. When its running it does not stink at all. Don't believe the nay-sayers.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter 1 View Post
I am thinking about getting the h45 military heater. It can be used as a diesel heater and all of the internals can be taken out out you can burn wood in it as well. I like the idea if being able to use it for both. They are 20000 to 55000 btu and will run about 30 hours or so on low with 5 gallons of diesel.
Shooter 1,

I use one of the H45's in my tent and it works excellent. My only incident was with the chimney plugging with soot and smoking the tent. The cause was the rain / wind cap. I would not put it on or if you do, make sure you watch for build up.

It kept the tent at around 15 degrees all day and night.

I was in Princess Auto and they had small military jerry cans that have the proper bung for the fuel line as well. Easier than trying to rig up a barrel.

Last edited by Rockjockey; 10-06-2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-06-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter 1 View Post
Are you able to shut the diesel heater off any time. I thought I heard something that you have to let it run out of fuel. Also wondering what everyone thinks if having the option to burn wood if you want to or have to. The heater in looking at sounds like it burns more fuel then the expedition. But I like the option of being able to burn wood if you have to.
Yes you can shut the heater off with the fuel valve...that way it drains the hose and you don't make a mess at disconnect time.

They can get gummed up when you drop a bunch of crap in there to light it many times in a row. Taking precaution not to leave a bunch of ash in the bottom will pay dividends on maintenance. They come with a long fuel turkey baster thing......use it. I attach a few matches to a piece of wire to light it.

One piece of stove pipe and then the damper piece and then enough pipe to get to where the instructions say.

We use a flex hose from a 10gal drum for the set up.

ps...I hear ya about the wood. I do love a fire as well.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 AM

Default top gun oil drip stove

I got a top gun diesel heater at weavers a couple years before I left Yellowknife.we had a 14x 16 tent.we set it up at Johnston lake on the island.we were kozy warm.warm all night.slept all night.some weekends it was 30 below or colder.id concider selling it.i don't use it now.but I may use it in the future.so ive never listed it.but for sure you can forget about getting cold.i also used it in our ice fishing shack on gorden lake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (21).jpg (30.1 KB, 109 views)
Old 10-06-2013, 08:44 AM

I asked this before with no response but has anybody ever used a propane furnace / heater in a wall tent ? I have one in one of my permanent hunt camps and it works great.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:52 AM

I was given a stove with the diesel drip kit, but have never used the diesel yet. Where we hunt moose the quad trip in is so long and tough that we can't pack the extra wt. of the diesel. Even packing in fuel for the trip out, with a full camp and 2 guys is tricky.