Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2007, 11:01 AM

Default motel as hunting camp

I need advice, usually my yearly hunting trip consists of an outdoor hunting camp, so over the couple days any harvested deer can be hung right at camp.However, this year due to time constraints I will be staying in a motel for two nights. I was just wondering what I I will do if we bag a deer the first afternoon, it couldn't be good to let it sit in the truck for a day but what other options do i have? any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:08 AM

Matt, you might want to talk to a butcher shop in the area if there is one they might be able to hang it for you. But they might also tell you they will hang only if they can cut it for you?? something to look into. If not don't see whats wrong with leaving it in the back of the truck if you have a canopy, You might just ahve to go out during the night to roll it over so that both sides cool or even cut it in half if you have the tools.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

Just a thought but an option to a bucther shop could be a local land owner you know of that has a grainery or a shed or heck maybe even the motel has a garage or shed.. I would try these before leaving it in a truck box...
Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 AM

In the back of the truck is fine if it is cold enough. I have done it before and will again probably. If not ask around with some of the farmers. They may not mind at the cost of a back strap or bottle of whipsky. My last year mulie layed in the back of our spare truck that was left at the hotel for 2 days. He was frozen solid and the meat was fine.