Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2007, 05:31 AM

Default Under Armour

Who wears under armour in the fall for hunting? I was looking at the "cold gear". I want both the pants and tops IF THEY WORK... I realize athletes wear the stuff but they aren't out in the cold like we are.

Your thoughts...
Old 09-19-2007, 06:16 AM

Default Under Armour

I wouldn't go to the bush without the stuff! Wicks moisture away from the body like a sponge. You can never go wrong with anything made by Helly Hanson in my books. If you are disappointed you must be one tough customer to please.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:17 AM

Default under armour

I wear under armour for hunting and sports. The "cold gear" and "heat gear" are nice to have. One thing about under armour, if you haven't worn it before and you don't buy the loose gear (this stuff fits like a t-shirt), it takes a little getting used to. I wear the stuff all summer and all hunting season so I have no problems with it but I have heard some people say right off the start that they don't like it because it is too tight but then they realize it works and get used to it. You can also find some cheaper alternatives in McDavid, cool max or Nike. They are all work.

Good luck.

Morb
Old 09-19-2007, 10:21 AM

Default UA

Hi Dwayne. I just use the heat gear (tight fitting). Yep, fits like a glove and you want it to fit that way. If it fits tight, your sweat will be wicked away immediately. If you wear anything loose you know that your sweat will just accumulate and drip down your body and cause wet spots. You can use the heat gear in all seasons just by putting another layer on top of that otherwise the cold gear stuff is limited to cooler weather only. "I realize athletes wear the stuff but they aren't out in the cold like we are." I laugh in your general direction lol. I run in temps colder than I hunt in. -30 doesn't stop me from going out on a long run.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:05 PM

cold weather stuff is great i work out in the cold and its the first thing i put on i wear it snowboarding and hunting its great stuff gotta get used to the tightness of it though and its expensive but definatly a worth while investment
Old 09-19-2007, 08:03 PM

I see the latest Pricess auto flier lists Under Armor camo hoods for just under 9 bucks, in their surplus section.
Grizz
Old 09-19-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Great find

Thanks Grizz I am going to have to look that at Princess Auto.

Thanks for the heads up

Morb
Old 09-19-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Under Armour

So is the Cold Gear thicker than the Heat Gear? They should both wick moisture away, what is the difference?
Old 09-20-2007, 08:16 AM

Default yup

Yup Hound one is thicker than the other. The other difference is that the thicker stuff has a mockneck on it where as the thinner stuff is a regular round neck. I believe the "cold gear" is the thinner stuff that is supposed to help you stay cool and wicks very well and the "heat gear" is the thicker stuff for colder temperatures.

Morb
Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 AM

I have the under armour base layer and wear it for work and hunting, very happy with it. Am now looking for a couple other layers of cold gear that they have come out with.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:38 PM

Default It's Great!!

I bought some UA Cold gear last year and I am getting more for this year. It is really a great product.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:11 PM

I wear heat gear in the early season, and loose gear mid way through the season, and gold gear in the winter, and love it, as for the night time sleeping in an outfitter tent i use my loose gear instead of a cotton t-shirt.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 PM

For everyone wearing UA or a similar base layer product what type of clothing material are you wearing over top of it? I'm guessing that once the UA (or similar) does its job and wicks away the sweat that certain clothing material types over top might compromise what the base layer is trying to accomplish? With the pending colder weather there will have to be some form of layering over top. Just curious what clothing material types are best or if it matters.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 10-15-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:02 AM

Default No Cotton

Yes...........do not wear cotton over top of the UA. I wear another wicking fabric or fleece. I wear lots of layers 5/7 layers in real cold weather wear I could be doing anything from sitting/strolling to covering lots of ground in a hurry. The heat gear is the thin stuff...cold gear is thicker.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 AM

Question

Hey Stupid question..................... The heat gear .. is that for wear in heat or is it to wear to keep warm in cold weather and vice versa??????
Old 10-16-2007, 09:11 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Yes...........do not wear cotton over top of the UA. I wear another wicking fabric or fleece. I wear lots of layers 5/7 layers in real cold weather wear I could be doing anything from sitting/strolling to covering lots of ground in a hurry. The heat gear is the thin stuff...cold gear is thicker.
Yes, layers are defintely the answer and fleece is a great option over top of the underwear. I've started wearing a lot of windproof fleece as it is much warmer than traditional fleece. I'll often wear two layers of underwear (one light and one heavy), a layer of windproof fleece and then a windproof/waterproof jacket or parka over that.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I've been thinking that my layering technique if you want to call it that is to blame for the Michelin Man appearance I seem to have in the cold weather. Hopefully through correct layering I can eliminate some of the bulkiness. Cotton is for sure one of the culprits being worn over my base layer - via turtlenecks, hoodies etc.. Just this past weekend I had my UA heat gear t shirt on with a turtleneck over top and I was drenched after hiking.

Do you have any links or examples of the fleece you are wearing? I've got the polar fleece zip up jackets, as well my hunting jacket has a fleece liner. Are there other fleece items (ie shirts, sweat shirts) that you would suggest? Any examples of the wind proof fleece vs traditional fleece products?

Sorry for all the questions but I am planning on ordering some base layer stuff and may as well get some fleece for layering at the same time.
Thanks.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:29 AM
sheephunter

There are countless weights of polar fleece and like the underwear, I typically begin with the lightest weight fabrics closest to my body. You really only need one windproof layer. This web site will help you out a bit... http://www.polartec.com/fabrics/index.php

I just picked up one of these as well and for extremely cold weather it provides an incredible amount of insulation for a superlight garment. It's always in my pack while sheep hunting and comes out when glassing for extended periods or at camp.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1192548599025
Old 10-16-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Heat Gear for Hot

Mud............heat gear is what you wear in hot weather. It's a real thin (proplyene?) tight fitting shell. However, I don't use any of the cold gear.....not because I don't believe in it. Just my preference for wearing the tight heat gear and layering for the cold.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:50 AM

Again great feedback, thanks. This should get me going in the right direction and hopefully less bulky and more functionable.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
sheephunter

Another thing I do is to wear a t-shirt under my first base layer of long underwear. On extended hunts, your underwear can get awfully smelly and this way, I can change a t-shirt every couple days and wear the same long underwear for the entire hunt. I do the same with my boxers.

Ensure that you are using t-shirts and boxers with the same moisture wicking properties as the long underwear. Running stores are a great source for these although I picked up several Cool-max running t-shirts at Costco this year for a great price.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 AM

Thanks again TJ.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:58 PM

Well I'm making a move towards revamping my clothing. I picked up that Vapour Trail pullover TJ suggested and also picked up a Polartec thermal shirt. Next up is some quality base layer long johns and top. Hopefully all of this will be more efficient clothing with less bulk then what I have been wearing.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:21 PM

Got my order of UA Cold Gear today, so hopefully I'll be good and cozy on my late November WT hunt this year. My only problem with it is when they show the clothes on the web site it gives the impression of 6 pack abs and mine looks more like a mini keg!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:08 PM

LMAO, I said the same thing... It certainly isn't a pretty sight with that shirt on me... But will try it out Thurs AM. Where did you order yours from?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:43 PM

I ordered it from Cabelas (8 business days) and got the Cold Gear bottoms, and mock T in Realtree Hardwoods. Didn't need the camo but for what ever reason that pattern was $10 and $15 off when I ordered it. I also ordered the Cold Gear Metal mock T. The one top I ordered in XL (normally wear a L) and it fits good. The other I ordered in a L and it is snug (as they are supposed to be) however my left shoulder feels almost numb with it on.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 PM
s_buffalo

Quote:
my left shoulder feels almost numb with it on
OK, now as long as you don't get numbness all the way down your left arm... Especially just after eating a McBaconXtraCheesy...
Old 10-29-2007, 09:32 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
I ordered it from Cabelas (8 business days) and got the Cold Gear bottoms, and mock T in Realtree Hardwoods. Didn't need the camo but for what ever reason that pattern was $10 and $15 off when I ordered it. I also ordered the Cold Gear Metal mock T. The one top I ordered in XL (normally wear a L) and it fits good. The other I ordered in a L and it is snug (as they are supposed to be) however my left shoulder feels almost numb with it on.

You might still be feeling the effects of Thursday....lol Too bad we never saw that big ram huh? So close but so far....seems to be the story of my life with big sheep. I heard it nets right on 180.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Another thing I do is to wear a t-shirt under my first base layer of long underwear. On extended hunts, your underwear can get awfully smelly and this way, I can change a t-shirt every couple days and wear the same long underwear for the entire hunt. I do the same with my boxers.

Ensure that you are using t-shirts and boxers with the same moisture wicking properties as the long underwear. Running stores are a great source for these although I picked up several Cool-max running t-shirts at Costco this year for a great price.
staying away from polypropylene with help with the smelly issue.....any one with old polypro can attest to it's ability to hold odor. i personally like the merino wool undies more than synthetics...great temperature adaptation and they don't retain odors as much.....but for synthetic...patagonia capaline tops my list...pricey but it last and lasts and lasts.....