Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-04-2018, 08:31 AM

Default Pellet gun for kids

Hey guys was was thinking about getting a pellet gun for the kids and start teaching them the basics of shooting. Just looking for some suggestions as to what to get or be looking for, as my bellet gun experience is limited. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Banned

I truly don't think you can do better than a Slavia 630
http://www.gagnonsports.com/cz-630-s...95fps/dp/75310
Made by CZ, they have the quality you expect in their rimfire rifles. Nice wood and bluing and very accurate...on a windless days mine (scoped) will put 5 shots in a toonie at 30m.
P&D (Edmonton) lists them at $240
Old 03-04-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I truly don't think you can do better than a Slavia 630
http://www.gagnonsports.com/cz-630-s...95fps/dp/75310
Made by CZ, they have the quality you expect in their rimfire rifles. Nice wood and bluing and very accurate...on a windless days mine (scoped) will put 5 shots in a toonie at 30m.
P&D (Edmonton) lists them at $240
Wow, they still make those? I got one for Christmas some 47 years ago.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-04-2018, 05:49 PM

The daisy Winchester 500x I got one when I was 8. I doubt they still make them haha. But personally I would go break barrel .177 cal. Any of the Benjamin or Crossman ones will be good. Your kids will have a problem with the Brak action depending on age and how Strong they are. But the advantage are that pump take longer are as hard for a kid and less fun due to always pumping. The break action beats c02 because the little canisters are costly and you need to make sure you always have fresh ones for shooting.

I would not get on of the cheap plastic daisy red rider type. They will never last and you kids won't be as happy with them later on. I got my wood one on Christmas when I was 8 I just turned 20 and it works the exact same.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG View Post
Hey guys was was thinking about getting a pellet gun for the kids and start teaching them the basics of shooting. Just looking for some suggestions as to what to get or be looking for, as my bellet gun experience is limited. Thanks.
Or maybe I should be looking at a small .22 like a rascal or something like that. You guys with kids that have been through this, what do you suggest?
Old 03-05-2018, 08:02 AM

I would definitely look a single shot.

I am in the same boat. However I decided on the Daisy lever action BB gun.

My reasoning is that the kids are not strong enough to cock it yet and as a result, adult supervision required; open sights; all the BB's are recoverable and then re-usable and it was $39.

I set up a little 20' range in my garage, shooting into an apple box.

Once I am satisfied that the lessons are learned and the shooting skills are there, that will I look at a Rascal or Cooey 39....Still keeping with the single shots though.....

Have fun,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:18 PM

I started with a daisy model 105 lever action BB gun, powerful enough to kill a squirrel if you've got the gumption to go up the tree after him to close the range to within 5 feet! but my dad wasn't a shooter so I had no supervision, the nice thing about those little guns is that if a kid points it at another kid, (I never did, but have seen it several times) it will leave a bruise, rather than a hole! That being said, I got my boy a TC youth .22 for Christmas a few years ago, but he wasn't allowed to use it unless I'm with him. I also have a crossman. 22cal nitro piston, great for shooting magpies in the back yard.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:22 PM

I think it's partly a question of how old your kids are, their physical strength, their size, etc. CO2 guns are pricey to feed, and tend to be a bit problematic in my experiences with them. (I've owned a dozen or so over the years) Their performance suffers badly under about 15C too, so warm-weather shooters...when they're running right. If you choose a spring-piston air rifle (break-barrel)...they're MUCH better, but many are very difficult to cock, and are adult-sized. They all break-in with time and get smoother. That Slavia is a very good choice, I just personally bought a springer myself, a Diana 24 in .22. Spring piston guns are considered the lowest-maintenance, but do require you use the proper scope if you're going the optics route. All scopes are built with rearward recoil in mind, but since the piston actually fires forward...the recoil is in the opposite direction initially. It can rattle even a good scope loose (internally). Airgun scopes are designed with this in mind, and protect against recoil in both directions. Should be said, these are also the most quiet air guns you can buy in Canada. The sound of the pellet hitting the target is usually louder than the gun's "report" itself.

A decent compromise is one of the pump-up, pneumatic air guns Crosman makes. Even for young, small-frame shooters...they can usually muster 5 pumps or so. These function from about 4 pumps up to 10 normally, but any more than 10 gives no extra velocity..but does risk damage to the gun. One I own might be perfect, it's a 1377 pistol with a 1399 "carbine" stock. Very light, easy to pump, single shot, etc. Pneumatic/pump-up air guns (like CO2) go off with a distinctive "crack" sound, but unlike springers...there is no recoil of any kind=any scope will work, and not suffer.

There are several online airgun retailers, the one I've done the most with is D&L airgun in BC. Even if you don't buy there, their site is the most comprehensive. AirgunSource (https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/) here in Ontario is also highly regarded, and lots of Crosman offerings.

My kids learned on slingshots, then Daisy BB guns (they bored of those easily)..then a CO2 powered single shot rifle, then a Savage Rascal. The Rascal was by FAR the biggest hit, and even though they've all out-grown it..they won't "let" me sell it. tiny thing. Part of the fun there is the low-power, CB Long and CCI "Quiet" 22 ammo. Ours is scoped, wears a bipod...and even when young, the kids could blast clay pigeons at 50 yards...and even pick-off the tiny pcs. reliably as they whittled them down. Good times!
Old 03-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Banned

I'll second D&L in B.C.
Been dealing with them for years...their pricing is such that I can buy from them, have it shipped here (Edmonton) and still save money.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:31 PM

Specialty Shooting Sports is good to deal with.

About BB guns; the lack of accuracy can be frustrating, as the kid's get a bit better, and BBs can bounce back with a fair amount of force.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-05-2018, 07:08 PM

I was about 8 or 9 when my parents gave me a Daisy model 25 BB rifle. That was a good rifle, as there weren't many sparrows safe in our barn yard. This was back about 1960.When I turned 12, I advanced to a Cooey model 39 in .22 rimfire. I see Cabela's sells the Daisy 25 for about $60.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:23 PM
Banned

My son started with cheaply airsoft, then moved the the Red Ryder, then pellet rifle, then 22lr, then my old 22-250, then his 243, then 12 gauge, now he’ll shoot almost anything you put in front of him, except maybe my grandfathers old M1917 in 30-06. That thing hits like a Mac truck compared to th3 Tikka 30-06 I had.

He’s now 12