Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
A person hell bent on an evil taks is unstoppable at best.
To suggest more restrictions to our already overly regulated world of shooting and hunting is shere folly.
It makes you sound like Windy Wendy.
Indeed!

If the methods of suicide were to dictate how our society is regulated... The posted speed on high ways would probably be in the 50 km zone, we would not be able to walk across a bridge, freight train tracks would have to protected by walls in excess of 50 feet high & of course your doctor & pharmacist would only give you enough meds for a couple of days & the list could go on forever.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:07 PM

Interesting!

Any odds given on whether the widow or parents attempt to sue the gun range? If this were the US, I suspect I know what the answer would be. Here, I'm not so sure... and no, I don't think they should be able to... but when you run a commercial business where you give untrained people weapons and claim to have "adequate supervision" (and who really knows what that means exactly), I'm sure there is a lawyer somewhere who would love to take that case.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:15 PM

I'm sure there's a snake... I mean a lawyer outhere that would entertain it. However I don't think a judge would rule on their favour & if he did, liability insurance would cover it which I'm sure these folks have.

I guess we'll find out soon if a lawsuit will happen.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:30 AM

This may sound cruel but if someone is hell bent on self determining their own demise, what's better a bullet to the head, or an intentional head on into an SUV full of innocent victims? Both happen - just something to think about.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Angry

What chokes me up is that while I fight cancer to stay alive, some seemingly normal people choose the easy way out, with no thought to the pain they leave behind for friends & family to deal with.
--Ken

Last edited by VerySavage; 10-05-2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: correcting spelling error
Old 10-05-2007, 08:06 AM

So true. Suicide is the ultimate selfish act. There is absolutely no regard for others. Granted, these people are seriously unstable and don't see it this way.......unfortunate that someone didn't pick up on some warning signs and get these people help.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerySavage View Post
What chokes me up is that while I fight cancer to stay alive, some seemingly normal people choose the easy way out, with no thought to the pain they lave behind for friends & family to deal with.
--Ken
I think the key words there are "seemingly normal". Your body was in tough shape Ken, but your mind was clear and sane. I've known people with depression, mental illness... they just can't see that their anguish could actually end without resorting to suicide. And of course they can't see how their actions affect others.. but it's not out of selfishness.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:27 PM

These incidents are not uncommon. My family had been living in Tyler,Texas and an identical incident happened at the Lock & Load range there. A teenage girl had gone in, acquired a range weapon and did herself in at the firing line a few years back. While I agree that there is no stopping a truly determined person from committing suicide, they could at least have the common courtesy to keep it to themselves. No need to traumatize people who just happened to go to their job at the range, or their customers for that matter. Thats simply ignorant. That level of selfishness makes me want to reanimate their bodies just to slap them around a bit. As was previously stated, we can't go micro-legislating everything that may be a means to kill oneself, as the "cure" will be more harmful than the symptom.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-05-2007 at 05:28 PM. Reason: text
Old 10-05-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Need - you don't get to decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarki View Post
IN MY OPINION we dont NEED shooting ranges at the mall.

M
We don't need lots of things, like computers, cars, luxury homes, good jobs, any firearms, hunting seasons, ad infinitum. These are all "things" that we don't need. It's good that you don't get to decide what things I need and what things I don't need. My point is different people have different "wants" while pretty much everbody has the same needs (necessities of life). It's a materialistic/democratic/capitalist thing...............just the way it should be and you're entitled to your opinion but it's where you state your opinion that gets you into these arguments. What's wrong with a gun range at a mall? An outdoors range is OK? If a guy has a gun and he's not playing with a full deck he'll take it anywhere he wants wether it's legal or not........shootouts aren't happening at gun ranges or spilling outside of them regardless of their location. OPTICS......playing to the political left.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:00 AM

is there a better way to spend the day than at the range while the wife and child are ****in around at the mall ??? sounds like the perfect place for a gun range sumthing for evereone
Old 10-07-2007, 07:22 AM

Default Bad News for all

To those who say an in door range does'nt belong in the mall many voices say back they don't belong at all!!!!!

I feel I have a right to hunt I have friends that love to shoot they should be able to enjoy that as much as I like to hunt. If Wild West is closed due to this it is a loss for all people another victory for those who think the world would be better if only criminals had guns. I am not a customer of the range but I feel for the people there 1 attempt and one success and people like to be trendy scarry stuff.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:46 AM

Frankly, if an indoor range doesn't belong at a mall then neither does a water park, amusement rides or that network gaming place. (all the same mall)

Also, since malls are just places that allow the criminal element to congregate and victimize the innocent - let's ban malls too.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:04 AM

Default Wild West

Very unfortunate incident. I recall that at one point in Russia (I think?) or some other Com-Bloc nation- when the economy was the pits, there was a federal law stating that gun ranges could only rent range guns to non-members when they came in in groups or pairs.
The idea being that someone who's depressed and all alone wouldn't be able to come in and rent a gun/buy only one round. I'm not saying I agree with it, just commenting on that.

On another point- Brownbomber, for your bachelor party, I'm not sure if you've ever been to Phoenix range or not, but I would recommend it highly over Wild West. I know Wild West is convenient with all the bars etc for afterwards, but I take objection to some of Wild West's business practices and safety protocols.

Len and the boys at phoenix will treat you right, and IMHO you'll be giving your dollars to a more deserving business.

Not trying to start a ****ing-match with the Wild West patrons, just saying to check it out if you've never been. www.phoenixrange.com

-Dylan
Old 11-01-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Not trying to start a ****ing-match with the Wild West patrons, just saying to check it out if you've never been. www.phoenixrange.com
I don't expect any Wild West patrons to object to your advice. I told Ken to his face that his policies are absurd. (This happened after his staff explained to me that I could use my own gun or use a range gun, free with a range pass. On ammo, though, you can only use ammo purchased at Wild West the same day - you can't even bring it back the next day, if you didn't get a chance to shoot it all. I didn't quite understand the reasoning, but they said reloads aren't safe and they can't risk having all sorts of untested ammo in use at the range. Then, they sold me a box of .38 Special. When they came into the range to hand over the ammo, they handed me a box of reloads, which I had paid new, factory ammo price for!!?! When I reminded them of what they had said, they replied "Yeah, but it's all we have".)

When I brought it up with Ken afterward, his comment was that other ranges in the area are a better deal for locals. His business plan is geared toward fleecing tourists, and he's doing very well with it. So, yeah, go to Phoenix unless you're looking to buy a firearm and Wild West has the price/stock.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:08 PM

x2 for phoenix i sight in my 270 and other rifles there all the time the staff can answer any questions and are very helpfull i found some of the polices at wild west dont make scence can't use my own ammo but they don't have shells for my 280 or my old 25 stevens of my dads spent a lot of money at wolf's geting it cleaned up had to go to the states to find shells then can't use it at there range

savage hope your fight goes well my dad passed away with cancer in 1991 hate to see anyone go through what he did good luck and stay strong