Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 PM

Question Lethbridge/Alberta Laws/Bylaws

Hi there,

I searched on the Lethbridge Police website but they have no email contact for questions on things so I thought someone might be able to enlighten me some. I was wondering what are the laws on replica starter pistols that shoot 9mm P.A.K blanks (See the Umarex website if you wish to see exactly what I mean). I would never carry something like that around in public because obviously it looks, sounds and functions like a real semi-auto handgun, minus being able to fire live ammo of course, and I don't intend on scaring people or getting shot by the police. heh. Stupid kids or even adults carrying look-a-like bb guns or what have you are only looking for trouble. I just want to know where would be a safe place to shoot off a few rounds (ie: the range, or around the range, or out of the city entirely like on a farm)? I originally had it for display, but it has also taught me proper maintenance of a handgun as well as handling, etc. I plan on getting an FAC/Restricted permit so I can go down to the range and enjoy the hobby of lawful gun ownership.

Thanks,
Old 10-30-2007, 10:23 PM

not too sure but i think you may be asking for trouble shooting any kind of handgun (other than a bb gun) at any place other than the range. as a youth i was sternly...STERNLY warned by the local rcmp officer in my small town that the police do not fool around when a handgun is involved..be it a replica a bb gun or a real one..the reaction is the same.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixxer View Post
Hi there,

I just want to know where would be a safe place to shoot off a few rounds (ie: the range, or around the range, or out of the city entirely like on a farm)?
Thanks,
What would be the purpose of that? Just like to make a loud noise? As it's not a firearm I suppose you could shoot it off in your living room and really get the full effect.

As for never carrying it and the stupid people who do, I think thou doest protest too much....
Old 10-31-2007, 12:40 AM

Fixxer, it's NOT a firearm. It's a louder than usual cap gun. Have at 'er in the backyard if you want. I'd do it on an early Sunday morning just to bug the neighbours!

Tree
Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 AM

I have cracked off a few rounds in the basement, but I haven't let off a full clip thinking the neighbors might think I'm killing off my family. lol.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:09 AM

You must remember there are actually more strick rules surrounding what can be deemed a replica firearm.
If the law deems this starter pistol as a replica you can be in deep Sheite.
There is also the possibility that Lethbridge has a bylaw about noise, any sort of disturbance making, and projectile launching, any of which could fall under the activities you speak of.
I'd either do a pile of homework and make sure your ducks are in a row, which still guarnetees you nothing if someone calls the cops, cause they will hold you till they sort the crap out, and may just in the mean time find something to nail you with.
Or take the starter pistol to the range and play away.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-31-2007, 03:27 PM

I think I'll just stick to using it as a display piece. I would hate to get it confiscated as its a limited edition Walther P22 with a silver slide and carbon fiber frame. I'll wait till I get my PAL/restricted and buy my .357sig (haven't decided between the HK USP, Glock, or Walther P99) and goto the range with that.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:55 PM

http://www.lethbridge.ca/home/City+H...ouncil/Bylaws/

Try this. It may have what you want.. If not call the sity of lehtbridge and ask to speak top a bylaw officer