Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2007, 03:25 PM

Question Hunting camp

After seeing the picture from Roebag camp i had a question.. I am leaving this weekend to set up my camp with a couple buddies and was just wondering if anybody has had experience with using the insulated tarps over the tent. I have access to a couple and was wondering if it is worth hauling out and covering the tent to give it a little more insulation?

Thanxs
Old 10-29-2007, 06:49 PM

I've never used an insulated tarp but I do usually put a regular tarp over the tent in case there is a dump of snow...so it will slide off easier. I imagine the extra insulation would help keep the heat in though. Never had a problem with keeping the tent warm - it's usually the other way around. I imagine if you had a real cold snap it may come in handy.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 AM

insulated tarps arent all they are cracked up to be. you do a some R value to your roof. R3 i think. but you walls, and floor are not insulated so the heat will go out thru them. also you are likely to loose more heat by someone going outside for a wizz at 2 in the morning than you will save with the tarp. also if is windy out i know i dont want to listen to that tarp flap all night long. i rather just put another log on the fire.

wthby
Old 10-30-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Tarps

We never used insulated tarps over our wall tent. Just the regular tarp. We have a good woodstove and been setting this camp up for moose camp and then from December till April in the mountains for sledding and been trapped in a few blizzards/sudden cold snaps. Been almost -40, but it was warm in the tent. The Lamb's Palm Breeze Antifreeze maybe helped a bit.

The regular tarp will hold the heat down.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:59 PM
sheephunter

Insulated tarps on the floor are the cat's meow!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Insulated tarps on the floor are the cat's meow!
now that's a good idea.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Floor Tarp

For our floor in the walltent for moosecamp, we laydown the heavy poly across most of the floor except the stove area. We then place the black filter fabric (used in construction of roads/strrets/parking lots, etc). Nice to walk on in bare feet in the mornings.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:44 AM

Last year in early october we used poly down first to keep moisture out and those entrance mats we just rolled out by each cot and right up the middle, but i never used the outfitter tent for november. thought that it would be good idea with the insulated tarp. I will throw them in the truck anyways and we will see i guess. i did find a kerosene heater that was my dads to use in the tent while we are out hunting or even during the night to help keep things from freezing if the wood stove goes out. kind of looking forward to this trip and interested to see if my new toaster 6000 (sleeping bag) lives up to it's names.

Thanxs for the replys

Last edited by chuck0039; 10-31-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:48 AM

I would be very wary of running that kerosene heater in the tent for the night!!! I think they are notorius for putting out carbon monoxide fumes that have killed many a hunter.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:55 AM

Really, did not know that, my dad used to run the kerosene heater in the sailboat to keep the chill off in early spring and fall. he never had any problems. I don't think the tents are air tight are they? besides it's either the heater that will get me or the midnight music from the group i'm going with that would sufficate me (bad joke i know)