Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the butcher of the bus View Post
hey it sucks when you don't get what you ordered and unfortunatly in most shops you give your order to one person and another person does your order and another gets it for you and tells you why or why not it isn't what you want.
In alot of shops meat is mixed and switched and I have heard from hunters that their pails or tubs of meat were clearly sitting in the cooler and someone was taking their money and giving them product that of course wasn't theirs.
I don't have an answer for you as what every one can do with their meat or who you can take it to, because many of the hunters that have come to me and yet I am sure that the shops they have complained about to me are doing a good job for some one or they wouldn't be doing any wild game and yet they are..
let me suggest to you instead of perhaps every one killing their game in the last week of november(slight exageration)try killing yours on opening day in August when we aren't so busy..
if you feel they can't do your animal in the way you want then find some one else or I guess do it yourself...
but rather then be negative about your experience which is going to get you and every one who listens to you anoyed and bummed out... find someone who has a good experience and try thier buycher and if you have tried them all then do it yourself....
oh ya bigger shops have a problem here in Alberta in that is, any help is hard to find let alone good help.
good luck to you...

Ok i think i might have found a new butcher........YOU! send me your phone number ( private pm ) or your address (private pm) i won't be getting anymore done this year but next year.......you bettcha....mooseburger
Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM

My cousins husband is a real joke. My father, uncle, and him went out last season in Sask. and shot his deer right in the ass. There was crap everywhere I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the butcher of the bus View Post
heh red frog shot placement is a discussion we have in our shop everyday and it is great that you tell what you have learnt that the outside is not always what is on the inside.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:26 PM

Been said many times here cut up your own meat.......not all that hard to debone a deer. With a little pratice you can do a deer in an hour or so and that being real picky on cleaning the meat.

We take our meat trimmings in to the butcher long after the season is over late Jan or even late Feb. We have never been "shorted" as we weigh or boxes and mark the weight on each box. We also get a recipet up front of the weight we bring in plus the estimate of added weight of pork......to give a total weight. So we know what to expect come pick up time.

I do feel for the butchers who do process wild game. People think that they are magicians. they can't make good tasting meal out of poorly prepared game. I have seen moose come in to a shop that has the smell of desiel ( my guess is there was a tidy tank in the box as well as a moose....hmmm bet that one was yummy.

But all in all we have had good "luck" with the several shops that have taken our meat to be processed

AL
Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 PM
jrs

Wow, lots of bad experiences on here. Thought i'd mention for guys planning on trying it on their own to go check out Princess Auto. I bought a small hand meat grinder there two seasons ago for $15 (I was in college, i will be upgrading to a larger model if i actually shoot anything else this fall). Anyway, i've ground 5 deer with that unit, builds some arm muscles but the end product is worth it. If you trim it yourself you'll find nothing for grissle/bone chunks etc, best ground meat you can get.

My problem is all the relatives raid my ground from the freezer when their around, none of them liked game meat until i shared a pack or two. If you know someone who cuts there own tag along for a deer or two this fall to see how its done, pretty simple. I am pretty good at it now, i watched it done once and then butchered the other half on my own. I also use all the bones (soup stock, and dog food) and damaged meat (dog food) so i would not really consider hiring a butcher (unless i get sausage made). Hope the princess auto tip can benefit someone.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 PM

Default My Reply

Well we have our deer and livestock butchered on our farm by ourselves so we don't have any problems. Sometimes we send our meat away for peperoni making. We have a smoker for jerkey and sausage and a small walk in cooler. We also have a meat saw and tenderizer. No problems here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalindite7 View Post
Well we have our deer and livestock butchered on our farm by ourselves so we don't have any problems. Sometimes we send our meat away for peperoni making. We have a smoker for jerkey and sausage and a small walk in cooler. We also have a meat saw and tenderizer. No problems here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Two good place's to go for meats are Hiesler meats and Sausage and Daysland meats and Sausage.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 PM

Default pepperoni etc.

JRS is right. I have a half horse grinder that does 150 lbs. which cost 99.99. I also have a 5lb. sausage stuffer that cost 99.99. To go along with I have a 20 lb. meat mixer that cost guess what? All purchased at Princess Auto. My buddy and I did 200 lbs. of sausage last year. We get our spices from Halford Hide and Leather in Calgary. The end product is great and I think what made the diff. from before is the addition of the mixer. It makes for such a consistent product. WE have used large appliances in the past but spent more time cleaning tham anything. Its nice because the meat is clean and everything is done under sterile conditions. I also make wine so I use the same cleaning methods as I do with the wine equipment. All in all excellent sausage fresh, cured, jerky and or pepperoni.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:16 AM

Default look guys.....

hey fellas i have been there and done that and have the tee shirt.
My problem was "not missing products", dirty products or anything of the kind.
My problem is simply....They did not cut my product the way i wanted it cut even though it had a description of cuts i wanted, on the work sheet she had marked . we checked the sheet before i left and it was marked correctly as to the type of cuts of meat i wanted.
I tossed the copy of the work sheet that she gave me, into the shredder before i checked my product..........( i was a dumb ass for doing so ) other wise we would be in small calims court by now, because it was a blatent disregard for services that were paid for and not realized by this customer.
Mooseburger