Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2007, 09:32 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Basically meant that newer trucks are safer,
Newer trucks are safer,handle better,stop quicker,make more power,get better fuel mileage,and have more interior room.But they do use more plastic,so if you prefer less plastic,stick with the older trucks and be happy with inferior handling handling, less braking,less power, less fuel mileage,less interior room and less safety features.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Newer trucks are safer,handle better,stop quicker,make more power,get better fuel mileage,and have more interior room.
I beg to differ ! My 07 F-350 has less power than the old 95 F-250 (both diesels). The 07 has less room, is very uncomfortable and handles like a "lumber wagon". The 95 got better milage as well.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:33 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I beg to differ ! My 07 F-350 has less power than the old 95 F-250 (both diesels). The 07 has less room, is very uncomfortable and handles like a "lumber wagon". The 95 got better milage as well.
Perhaps Ford is the exception.Then again that could be the reason that they are in financial difficulties due to decreasing sales.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:26 AM
s_buffalo

Quote:
However,some of that is by design,so when one of the new trucks is involved in a serious accident,the truck will absorb a great deal more of the impact,giving the occupants a much better chance of not being injured or killed than they would have in an older truck.
A lot of people who say that never were in a serious accident with an older vehicle (I'm not saying you are one of those, but I seem to hear this quoted a lot, and mostly by poeple who've never owned a Detroit Dinosaur, let alone crashed one).

I'm not saying that bigger is necessarily better, but the build quality has suffered. For instance, I was rear-ended while I was parked on the shoulder of a highway in my '80 VW rabbit. It fared extremely well in the accident. The worst that happened to me was a cut on the head from hitting the seat-belt anchor. There was some decent sheet metal in that car, I can assure you, and the robust seat (which is lacking in many modern cars!) kept me from being ejected out of the rear window, while still cushioning my body.

Quote:
Then again the newer trucks handle and stop so much better that the odds are better that they will be able to avoid an accident in the first place.
Mostly true. The problem with the improved performance is that people tend to drive much more agressively with an increased (false?) sense of security. With the bigger/older cars/trucks, people drove much more conservatively, likely because they were more aware of the vehicle's limitations.

Plus, back in the 70's/80's, we studded our tires in the winter.

And don't get me started on fuel economy... Why we don't have a 50 MPG truck by now is beyond me.

Heh, that's my 2¢.

Whoops, wasn't this about Dodge Trucks or something like that?

Stinky B.