Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Tame / Feral Horses

So finally made it out yesterday and stopped in WMU 326 for a bit to see if I could find a decent sized WT Doe to put a supplemental tag on. Nothing worth the effort seen, so headed south and then out west of the Mountain Aire Lodge. Saw a big herd of whitetails, a big herd of mulies and not too much else besides wild horses.

So anyways near the end of the day after crawling out of the last mud hole we see another horse about 30 yards away grazing. I pointed it out to my buddy and said it looked pretty tame to him. He didn't think it was another wild horse. So I said "Lets go pet it then." Not really being serious but thought it was worth a closer look as it did not seem to be feral. Got out of the truck and started walking up to it and at first it just ignored us. Got to about 15 yards and it's tail came up. About 10 yards it turned towards us gave a growl and pawed the ground a couple of times. Buddy said "Ok" and we backed up a little then turned and walked back to the truck laughing.

My question is what can you expect to happen from a horse like this if it feels threatened? It didn't look to be long in the wild as it didn't have that heavy muscle build and the hair wasn't heavily matted and mane not overly long. I thought to myself afterwards that one of us should have been carrying a rifle when we went over to have a look but I've never felt threatened by a horse before. It was interesting at the least anyways.

Noticed a sign at the Lodge though (we stopped in there for supper) that someone had a pair of mules stolen.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:48 AM

Yeah seems to be alot of them out there these days. Seen 9 together in Zone 346 couple weeks back. I imagine if they feel too threatened they will come after you with hooves and teeth.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:36 AM

Very few feral horses would actually maul you. The ones to be carefull with are studs during the summer breading season and mares with new foals. I have picked up a new born foal and had the mare charge into about 10 yards befor she turned aside. I had my .444 in hand. I have a friend who had a stud pound on the rear of the gelding he was riding. I also have videoed a stud coming at me and finally turning back at about 40 yards when my very crude expletive was yelled at him.
The one you encountered sounds like it was either a debilitated (blind, old age, deaf, truck struck,????) or surprised (up wind?) feral horse
or an escaped semi tame horse. At any rate, you did the right thing by hauling your but out of it's way!