Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 07:57 PM

Default PAL 6 month extension

Hello,
I have just realized that my PAL expired in April and I suppose to be going to a gunsmith in Calgary on Saturday. Does anyone know the rules regarding the 6 month extension? Am I allowed to transport a non restricted fire arm within the 6 month extension? I have sent in my renewal with payment today.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 PM

Good question, the law says:

Quote:
[64]...
(1.1) Despite subsection (1), if a licence for firearms is not renewed before it expires, the licence is extended for a period of six months beginning on the day on which it would have expired under that subsection.

(1.2) The holder of a licence that is extended under subsection (1.1) must not, until the renewal of their licence, use their firearms or acquire any firearms or ammunition.
Any authorization to carry or authorization to transport is not extended, but those don't apply to non-restricted. So the question becomes, does taking your firearm to the gunsmith constitute "use"? I would say no, but I'm not a judge.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.